Water fountain locations (Melbourne/suburbs)

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
WhingingPom

Water fountain locations (Melbourne/suburbs)

Postby WhingingPom » Thu Dec 31, 2015 1:02 pm

Hi all,

I found out today that City of Melbourne publishes maps of water fountains/water bottle refilling stations (http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/communi ... waves.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Does anyone know of something similar for other Melbourne council areas?

Cheers

WP

Toyopet

Re: Water fountain locations (Melbourne/suburbs)

Postby Toyopet » Mon Jan 04, 2016 3:32 pm

WhingingPom wrote:Hi all,

I found out today that City of Melbourne publishes maps of water fountains/water bottle refilling stations (http://www.melbourne.vic.gov.au/communi ... waves.aspx" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).

Does anyone know of something similar for other Melbourne council areas?

Cheers

WP
CHOOSE TAP APP FOR ANDROID AND iPHONE

The Choose Tap application helps you to find tap water wherever you are in Melbourne.
With nearly 6000 locations, you can find tap water when you need it.

More info here.

ComradeSpear

Postby ComradeSpear » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:41 pm

A bit of a segway... If a fountain is not close by:

I've been been in situations where I've run out of water and I've come across running water streams. How do you know if it's safe to drink from a stream?

WhingingPom

Postby WhingingPom » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:06 pm

ComradeSpear wrote:A bit of a segway... If a fountain is not close by:

I've been been in situations where I've run out of water and I've come across running water streams. How do you know if it's safe to drink from a stream?
Find someone that's drunk from it a couple of days before? :lol:

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Tue Jan 05, 2016 1:16 pm

ComradeSpear wrote:A bit of a segway... If a fountain is not close by:

It depends where you are riding??

If it drains through farmland, probably best not to drink it untreated.

If it is draining straight out of a National Park or State Forest, you generally should be OK. (Although be careful of taking water below a major campsite). Taking water out of side streams rather than the valley floor is preferred.

Even if you don't trust the source, you can soak your jersey, splash it over yourself, etc. to get the evaporative effect, and preserve your drinking water a bit longer.

As a regular bushwalker, I have never got into digestive trouble following these principles.

And even in the absolute worst case scenario, it's worth noting that dealing with the POSSIBLITY of a bit of diarrhea a couple of days later is preferrable to the certainty of heat stroke.

ComradeSpear

Postby ComradeSpear » Tue Jan 05, 2016 5:21 pm

Thanks for the advice.

I was riding from lake mountain to Warburton and I ran out of water as the cafe at the top was closed and it was like 40 degrees.

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Wed Jan 06, 2016 11:38 am

Apart from in the immediate vicinity of the LM carpark, any natural stream or seep out of the side of the hill between LM and the Reefton hotel should be pretty pure.