Vegetarian/Vegan recipe thread

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
warthog1

Vegetarian/Vegan recipe thread

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 7:50 pm

Vegetarian recipes, I have naff all hence the thread. Hoping some gooduns can be posted up :)
Dogs are the best people :wink:

toolonglegs

Re: Vegetarian/Vegan recipe thread

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Jan 04, 2016 8:02 pm

Recipes... what are they ;) ... just master your seasoning and nearly anything will work :P

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:36 pm

I'm not sure that a thread is the best place for recipes as its impossible to search. But its a good place to share good places to find recipes!

I tend to use google by searching for whatever ingredients I may have, and then letting it throw up whatever options. Or I search a few key ingredients within a specific domain, like http://www.taste.com.au" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Having said that, Dahl has recently become one of my mainstays:

http://www.taste.com.au/recipes/27591/red+lentil+dahl" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Cheap. Delicious. Freezes well. Can be pimped in a infinite number of ways upon warming up from cryogenic suspension (i.e., add sauteed kale/spinach, or potato and carrots to have a vegie curry etc etc). And its incredibly forgiving. Misread the recipe and use way too much water? Suddenly you have a delicious lentil dahl soup!

Of course, there are better places than a wesfarmers/news limited joint venture to search for delicious vegan recipes. Like this!

http://www.veganricha.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

misterhorsey

Postby misterhorsey » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:37 pm

btw, favourite salad dressing at the moment is:

- Rice Wine Vinegar
- Olive Oil
- Dried Chilli Flakes
- Pepper
- Yeast Flakes.

Good with a salad made from a lighter leaf (i.e ice berg) and some chickpeas/canellini beans and tomato, carrots, and spring onion.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 9:59 pm

toolonglegs wrote:Recipes... what are they ;) ... just master your seasoning and nearly anything will work [emoji14]
I'm a culinary dunce, did some mash with garlic and rosemary tonight though. Not bad :)

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:02 pm

misterhorsey wrote:
Of course, there are better places than a wesfarmers/news limited joint venture to search for delicious vegan recipes. Like this!

http://www.veganricha.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I don't like to support Rupert in anything.
I'll check that out and thanks for alerting me to taste.com

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:15 pm

Stirring up trouble again WH1? :P

You know this already, but I'm going to add a warning for the benefit of those who haven't heard it before:

Although the absence of animal products and oils should make the recipes generally healthier than normal recipes, they may not be waist friendly too.
Also keep in mind that some people can eat certain things and not gain much weight, while others will. For example, sugars don't appear to easily add weight for me, but fats do. Or in bike terms, YMMV.

In other words; simpler whole foods work better for weight loss and overall good health.

Rehash a post from the Diet Thread:

Google whatever you like to eat and the words low fat vegan. You can also try similar on YouTube.

"Chef AJ" has a lot of cooking videos on YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=chef+aj" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

PCRM also has some videos on cooking.
https://www.youtube.com/user/PCRM/videos" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Some other sites:
http://blog.fatfreevegan.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.plantbasedkatie.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.drmcdougall.com/health/education/recipes/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/view ... 11731ce415" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://potatostrong.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:25 pm

Thanks mate. My daughter has decided she wants to stop eating meat (independently of me).
My wife is more overweight since she stopped smoking ( ten years of nagging from me)

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Jan 04, 2016 10:53 pm

warthog1 wrote:Thanks mate. My daughter has decided she wants to stop eating meat (independently of me).
My wife is more overweight since she stopped smoking ( ten years of nagging from me)
You're welcome. :)

Stepping stones are always useful then. Does your daughter want to be vegetarian or vegan?

Unfortunately your wife signed up for a career which would almost certainly add weight in later life (my family is in the restaurant industry and I've worked in it too). She's probably going to have to make a bigger effort than you if she wants to escape it.

Another job that comes to mind is working in a bakery. I was walking past the Coles in store bakery the other day and noticed the larger size of a young woman working there and thought, that makes sense. Not that being young and large is a particularly odd thing these days. We are becoming more American every day.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 04, 2016 11:38 pm

Nobody wrote:
You're welcome. :)

Stepping stones are always useful then. Does your daughter want to be vegetarian or vegan?
She just doesn't like meat I think. Has cut it out before for about 12 mths.
Nobody wrote: Unfortunately your wife signed up for a career which would almost certainly add weight in later life (my family is in the restaurant industry and I've worked in it too). She's probably going to have to make a bigger effort than you if she wants to escape it.
Not sure that she will. Likes all the wrong stuff (like her father) and won't exercise.
Nobody wrote:We are becoming more American every day.
I haven't been there. Probably don't need to. It's coming here. :(

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:55 am

Soya wada (or dried pieces of soya bean) is available from most indian shops. Its kind of the 2 minute noodle version of health food (although it does take a bit longer than 2 minutes) since it requires minimal cooking. The trick is to soak it in cold water (not hot - that will make the outside mushy and the water won't get to the inside of it) for about 10-20 mins and simply throw it in any super wet saucy thing you have cooking (if you are feeling culinarily capable you can stir fry them for a bit in ginger and chilli first to give them a better texture and taste) and then it is done after soaking int the hot sauce for a few minutes (thats where the two minute noodle thing comes in). Its does require a bit of biff in the spice department (since it is practically tasteless - like most legumes I spose) and they will soak up a lot of sauce but it is certainly the quickest way to get protein into your tummy when in a pinch. It even has the texture of meat.

On the topic of fooling a meat eater to eat something vegetarian (or alternatively, playing a joke on a vegan) there is green jack fruit. The emphasis here is on GREEN (as in unripe and HARD to touch) jack fruit (if you get a ripe fruit, ie one that is soft, it will not work ... even if its skin colour is green ). They are a bit hard to track down but can be found at asian grocers or markets. Best is to get them off a jackfruit tree (there are a few growing in vacant lots nearby that nobody seems to know about except me and a few business savvy asians). I have to warn you beforehand this is not an easy thing to cut up and if you don't do it properly you may trash your cutting surface and possibly your knife. The problem with green jack fruit is that it weeps a gummy white sap that takes the appearance of stubborn black chewing gum stains when dry. This can be removed by rubbing it with vegetable oil and then, after what is left after the using oil, salt (and if that doesn't work, go back again and try the oil and so on). Hot water will not do the trick by itself. Also the skin is quite hard so you need a good solid sharp knife (or cleaver) to do it easily.

First you have to prepare the knife blade and chopping board by coating them lightly in oil. Then you chop off the top of the fruit where the stem is and suspend it upside down for 10 -20 minutes so the sap can drain out (remembering that whatever it drains into will be difficult to clean, so make your life easy by using something you can throw in the bin). Next slice the jackfruit into rings about 5 cm thick. Now you can place the rings face down and work off the skin on the edges. The core of the jackfruit (the centre of the ring) is also unusable and not only the seeds (actually you can cook the seeds in a separate dish but its a bit more involved) but the hard little lining that the seeds are resting in within the fruit.

That is all the hard work done!! All you have to do now is chop them up into chunks (make them slightly bigger than what you would expect on your plate since they will reduce in size - 5cm is good. The easiest way to cook them is to deep fry them until they start to float a bit (you can stir fry them but it requires a bit more skill and heaps more time). Then you throw them in a spicy sauce (tomato base is good) that maybe has a few potatoes in it. Again they will soak up a bit of sauce (perhaps not as much as soy wada) so its best to keep things on the wet side.

This is what it looks like when done (albeit somewhat drier than what I am used to)

If done properly it has the texture of stringy yet succulent meat. To the uninitiated it tastes and looks just like some sort of meat. I have even had a vegan almost weep in despair thinking they had been fooled into scoffing some hapless critter.
Go!Run!GAH!

matagi

Postby matagi » Tue Jan 05, 2016 8:33 am

Big flat mushrooms also provide a "meaty" texture to dishes - I have had vegetarians asking if there was meat in the dish when I've used them.

A really nice vegan recipe I make quite frequently in winter is "Tuscan Bean Stew" from a book called Fresh Ways With Vegetarian Dishes (part of the Time-Life Healthy Home Cooking series) - it uses borlotti beans, canned tomato, mushrooms and rosemary. The recipe is too long to post here but if anyone is interested, I can scan it and stick it up somewhere to be downloaded.

I can also recommend the book - it is now out of print, but copies can be found on Amazon, etc.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue Jan 05, 2016 12:37 pm

I hear bananas are good...
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Jan 05, 2016 2:36 pm

nezumi wrote:I hear bananas are good...
They are, but you don't really need to cook them or combine them with anything else and you can't live on them exclusively.

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Tue Jan 05, 2016 4:45 pm

Can't live on bananas exclusively??? Freelee lied to me!!!! ;)

Just on the banana thing, why don't cyclists eat dried bananas more, given the weight penalty of fresh bananas?

Cheesewheel

Postby Cheesewheel » Tue Jan 05, 2016 7:52 pm

yugyug wrote:Can't live on bananas exclusively??? Freelee lied to me!!!! ;)

Just on the banana thing, why don't cyclists eat dried bananas more, given the weight penalty of fresh bananas?
dried bananas are less aero
Go!Run!GAH!

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue Jan 05, 2016 10:22 pm

Cheesewheel wrote:
yugyug wrote:Can't live on bananas exclusively??? Freelee lied to me!!!! ;)

dried bananas are less aero

From here
2014 Merida Cyclo Cross 4
2015 Merida Scultura 5000

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Tue Jan 05, 2016 11:13 pm

That's weird saddle - given the leather bar tape, chromed lugs and forest background. Say What

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:49 am

When I've got banana's that are about to die, I fry them in some olive oil and add them to my breakfast

Anyone got a favorite Mexican recipe uses lots of vegetables?
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Wed Jan 06, 2016 8:45 am

Over the years my diet has become simpler and cooking has become less important to me. I tend to eat salads with tons of various sprouts and simple steamed vegetables. My family still wants me to cook then up my culinary inventions by popular demand.

Here's my latest spur of the moment recipe:

2 Cups Fresh sprouted Brown Lentils - sprouts tails about 5mm long
1/2 Cabbage
Fresh coriander - the more the better
1 or 2 Brown Onions
A couple of Garlic cloves
A little Sea Salt
A binder such as Lentil flour - maybe 250 grams

Put everything through a food processor - the mix should be wet but not runny.
Use a large serving spoon and fry patty sized scoops in a frying pan on medium heat using a bit of Coconut Oil.
The patties will brown in a just a few minutes and a good spatula is needed to scrape underneath when turning - the patties are a little delicate and will stick to the pan a little, so good technique is required.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 3:27 pm

^^Sounds good. Where do you get sprouted lentils from? I don't think I've seen them before.

Here is a family favourite I got from an old work colleague;

Dennis's Bean Burgers

1 large can four bean mix
1 onion
garlic
1 teaspoon cummin
2 cups bread crumbs
1 egg
sweet chilli sauce
wholemeal flour
lemon juice

Method: Cook onion, garlic and cummin in a saucepan with some oil.

In a blender add bean mix, eggs, sweet chilli sauce bread crumbs and onion-garlic-cummin mix. Blend together. If too dry add a little lemon juice and/or water.
Form a burger with a palm-sized qty of mix and lightly cover with flour. (It is a very messy, sticky process when I do it :wink: )

Fry burgers until firm and browned on the outside.

We then make wraps by slicing the burgers up into strips and add them to flat bread with hommus or tzatziki dip spead on them, together with chopped lettuce, salad onion and tomato.

The egg is a binder. I haven't tried them without it but it would probably work as the mix is seriously sticky.

ball bearing

Postby ball bearing » Wed Jan 06, 2016 5:26 pm

warthog1 wrote:^^Sounds good. Where do you get sprouted lentils from? I don't think I've seen them before.
Buy some lentils and soak a half a cup or so in a large jar overnight. Place a thin sock or some gauze over the mouth of the jar and rinse with water three times a day making sure to drain off all the water. In two or three days (depending on the ambient temps) you will have sprouts. If sprouting seeds such as alfalfa keep the jar in low light or darkness until the leaves develop and then expose them to indirect light to produce chlorophyll.

The above method works with most seeds and grains.

Whatever you do, don't use canned lentils - yuk! Tried that in a pinch.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Jan 06, 2016 7:33 pm

clint66

Postby clint66 » Wed Jan 13, 2016 6:52 pm

mikesbytes wrote:When I've got banana's that are about to die, I fry them in some olive oil and add them to my breakfast

Anyone got a favorite Mexican recipe uses lots of vegetables?
try these. It may sound weird but they are brilliant. We probably have them a couple of times a month.

Add some grated carrot to the walnut mix and it comes out pretty close to a mince based one.

http://thevedge.org/2013/07/raw-walnut- ... uten-free/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Also try the cashew sour cream.
http://veganmiam.com/recipes/cashew-sour-cream" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

and you can go all out and make the vegan cheese. It is surprisingly cheesy

my basic recipe is:
1/2 cup nutritional yeast
hand full of pistachio nuts
sea salt
olive oil

blend it up. it sort of clumps together and you just sprinkle in on the tacos.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Jan 14, 2016 8:09 pm

:twisted:
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.