Dealing With Sciatica

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
foo on patrol

Re: Dealing With Sciatica

Postby foo on patrol » Wed Jan 27, 2016 5:54 pm

Thanks JP.

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

kenwstr

Postby kenwstr » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:55 pm

Over the years, I have worked out several things that aggravate sciatica:
Wallet in hip pocket. (Don't ever carry it there, ever)
Lack of hydration.
Bloating (avoid over eating but especially avoid foods that cause gas).
Strenuous exercise. (post exercise stretching and nice soak in warm bath.
Regularity....
Staying up late. Get plenty of good sleep.
Calcium and Magnesuim deficiency, these are essential to good nerve function, make sure you get enough regularly.

Any one of the above can cause sciatica to flare up but I guess mine isn't too bad yet though.
Oh and the Doc gave me some back exercises that seem to help stabilize the spine as well, so that helps keep it in check.

gabrielle260

Postby gabrielle260 » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:32 pm

I had a prolapsed disc 14 months ago complete with 3+ months of sciatica and then irritated it again at Christmas. After physio and osteo treatment I am now doing Pilates to address the underlying issues and getting really good results from it.
My caution to others though is that there is Pilates and there is Pilates- you have to be careful which studio/practitioner you go to.
The studio I go to has 3 physio's and an exercise physiologist. The process starts with a 1 hr assessment to get your history and delve into the issues. During this time they use an ultrasound to identify core muscle usage/activation. Then there is a 1 hr one on one session to show you how to use the equipment and only after that do you join group sessions. The maximum size of the group sessions is 3 participants and each person does a set of exercises to meet their particular needs. It's the only place I've been where the staff/instructor ask "how are you today" and actually want and listen to a detailed answer.
The instructors write notes on you after each session and before each class they read each client's notes.
It is so different to the average personal trainer who throws in an exercise or two and calls it a Pilates session!
I've been doing 2 sessions a week for 6 or 8 weeks and am starting to see the results.... And, most importantly, I am back on the bike!!!!

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun Mar 13, 2016 2:46 pm

That's good, Gabrielle. 8)

The funny thing with my problem is...I can ride my bike with knowing there is going to be a problem when I get off = just about hit the ground and of course all the associated intense pain. It just sends these little impulses through my lower back and down my leg, along with the numbness. :evil:

I need to get the referral changed to a place, that doesn't work bank hours because I can't plan for three weeks in advance with my job. :roll:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

hedgehog

Postby hedgehog » Thu Mar 17, 2016 9:38 pm

i had that nerve problem years ago,my right leg froze at one point,while i was driving.i don't like taking medication,so i chose food, and it was liver,so my opinion any food that is good for nerves

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Fri Mar 18, 2016 6:11 pm

I don't do liver! :wink:

Foo
Goal 6000km

redned

Postby redned » Mon Mar 21, 2016 5:49 pm

I had a big problem with the sciatic nerve down my left side, completely incapacitating me, especially after a long flight. Stairs became impossible. Found out I have two vertebrae out of alignment. Physio didn't seem to be achieving anything.

I had fascia joint injections done by a spinal surgeon. It's not meant to be a permanent solution but for me it has been really successful for about a year and a half now. I still get some twinges, but heaps less than before and I can walk up stairs and ride! And so far have avoided spinal surgery. If I get actual back pain, moderate swimming eases it out.

And do liver!

Dan_Melb85

Postby Dan_Melb85 » Wed Mar 23, 2016 10:19 pm

^ Cortisone?
- 2016 Cervélo S3 Ultegra Di2

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Tue Mar 29, 2016 8:33 am

My sciatica was solved by a visit to a chiropractor, my hips were misaligned. Haven't had an issue in the past 2-3 years since the treatment plus the addition of a few stretches daily.

greyhoundtom

Postby greyhoundtom » Wed Mar 30, 2016 6:29 am

you cannot be sirrus wrote:My sciatica was solved by a visit to a chiropractor, my hips were misaligned. Haven't had an issue in the past 2-3 years since the treatment plus the addition of a few stretches daily.
Mate I've got great news for you..... your spine is in perfect health. :D

Unlike some of us that are dealing with severely herniated discs placing pressure on the spinal nerve roots, and where visits to bone crunchers do nothing more than increase inflammation and prolong the pain/symptoms. :cry:

you cannot be sirrus

Postby you cannot be sirrus » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:39 pm

greyhoundtom wrote:
you cannot be sirrus wrote:My sciatica was solved by a visit to a chiropractor, my hips were misaligned. Haven't had an issue in the past 2-3 years since the treatment plus the addition of a few stretches daily.
Mate I've got great news for you..... your spine is in perfect health. :D

Unlike some of us that are dealing with severely herniated discs placing pressure on the spinal nerve roots, and where visits to bone crunchers do nothing more than increase inflammation and prolong the pain/symptoms. :cry:
I feel for you guys/gals with spinal issues. :(

vosadrian

Postby vosadrian » Fri Apr 01, 2016 4:49 pm

Anyone dealt with sciatica symptoms that are not spinal issues...nerve compressions downstream of the spine (my spine has issues, but nothing to really explain my symptoms). I have had some pelvic alignment issues (probably started many years ago) and been realigned and seem to be holding good alignment now (for a couple of months) but still getting pain. Could be piriformis Syndrome, but had an MRI and piriformis looks good on that. Starting to investigate sacro-lumbar ligaments as a cause which seem to have similar pain patterns to what I am experiencing. Iliolumbar ligament and sacrotuberous ligament. Would like to get a diagnostic injection to determine temporarily relieve my symptoms, but not sure who can do that.