Sweat from Indoor trainer lead to problems later in life?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Sweat from Indoor trainer lead to problems later in life

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:08 pm

Parental advice like that comes from a time with poor access to good information, I'm sure if my dad was still around he would have advice for me that predates the information age.

The trick is to listen to the parent, take it in and then verify it thru a good information source, be that Dr Google or seek knowledge thru others, such as this thread
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:22 pm

trailgumby wrote:zill, mate. You need to get some help. You seem to take some kind of pleasure in finding things to worry about.

Well, here's a thing to really worry about. Worry itself causes serious health problems by raising stress hormones and releasing free radicals in the body that if left untreated has long term serious side effects.

Go see a cognitive behavioural therapist.

Yes, something is failing to compute here - either the best troll ever, or there are some serious underlying psychological issues ....... your guess is as good as any....
CAAD10 Berzerker & Focus Mares & Ridley Noah SL

matagi

Postby matagi » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:34 pm

macca33 wrote:
trailgumby wrote:zill, mate. You need to get some help. You seem to take some kind of pleasure in finding things to worry about.

Well, here's a thing to really worry about. Worry itself causes serious health problems by raising stress hormones and releasing free radicals in the body that if left untreated has long term serious side effects.

Yes, something is failing to compute here - either the best troll ever, or there are some serious underlying psychological issues ....... your guess is as good as any....
My thoughts on seeing the first ever thread by "Zill" way back, was that this is a persona created by a psychology student (or group of students) and we are all part of some sort of observational study possibly related to internet/forum behaviour possibly for a Masters or PhD. There are some very odd patterns to the threads created and some of the responses to the more well meaning advice seems a bit "off". Anyway, time will tell I'm sure.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:41 pm

My parents told me there was just a nice person who drove around In a big pink van playing music for all those who didn't have stereos.

It's ok...therapy is going well.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Jan 18, 2016 10:50 pm

matagi wrote:My thoughts on seeing the first ever thread by "Zill" way back, was that this is a persona created by a psychology student (or group of students) and we are all part of some sort of observational study possibly related to internet/forum behaviour possibly for a Masters or PhD. There are some very odd patterns to the threads created and some of the responses to the more well meaning advice seems a bit "off". Anyway, time will tell I'm sure.
Interesting observation. If that's the case, then I'm glad I haven't invested much time in the threads. I have responded to one or two PMs though.

wombatK

Postby wombatK » Tue Jan 19, 2016 6:53 am

Nobody wrote: I have responded to one or two PMs though.
I didn't enhale either :wink:
WombatK

Somebody has to do something, and it's just incredibly pathetic that it has to be us -Jerry Garcia

dalai47

Postby dalai47 » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:06 am

Zill has already mentioned earlier on here he has been diagnosed with Aspergers, so with that in mind please think about how you post replies.

You can dismiss ideas or point him in the right direction without the snide remarks.

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Tue Jan 19, 2016 1:44 pm

zill wrote:Doing lots of indoor riding at the moment with a big fan. However, still sweating a lot. Water is therefore accumulating on my skin when riding intensely. I'm just afraid that with the fan also blowing, it would lead to problems later on in life. Is this true?
Well I would say definitely not. Reason being, is that the human body will react the same way in endurance situations regardless of whether it is indoors or not, whether the cooling effect is created by outdoor breeze or a fan. The reaction is the same. Sweat. It is the bodies natural way of cooling itself. By removing the sweat with a towel reduces your bodies ability to cool itself naturally and make the cooling process take longer than necessary. Think about this, what about all those people that go to exercise classes at gym would they be setting themselves up for problems later in life as well?

As far as I am aware there is no known evidence or even scientific studies that say sweating shortens your life. Any so called papers or research you might have read, would just be people trying to spread mis-information and straight out B******T.

Whenever your on a trainer, always, always use a fan. Even in winter! It aids the bodies ability to cool itself which is important, and its also equally important that when your on the trainer to drink water while your exercising. You must stay hydrated. Dehydration is the thing that is really bad for the body.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012
Just Riding - Used to be called "My Journey to Triathlon"

zill

Postby zill » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:44 pm

Take today. I didn't dry myself properly after taking a shower. So basically let myself dry through air coming from outside. Now, my shoulders feel stiffer. It could just run in the family.

zill

Postby zill » Tue Jan 19, 2016 7:46 pm

matagi wrote:
macca33 wrote:

My thoughts on seeing the first ever thread by "Zill" way back, was that this is a persona created by a psychology student (or group of students) and we are all part of some sort of observational study possibly related to internet/forum behaviour possibly for a Masters or PhD. There are some very odd patterns to the threads created and some of the responses to the more well meaning advice seems a bit "off". Anyway, time will tell I'm sure.
Am I really so weird that you don't even think I am real?

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:11 pm

zill wrote: Am I really so weird that you don't even think I am real?
If you get too weird, the moderators will ban you.

Till then, while we all still reply to you, don't worry about it.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Jan 19, 2016 9:17 pm

TheWall wrote:My parents told me there was just a nice person who drove around In a big pink van playing music for all those who didn't have stereos.

It's ok...therapy is going well.
We used to tell our kids that they only played the music when they ran out of ice-cream. :twisted:

What worries me is that my daughter is now studying psychology at uni. She'll be thinking back on those days and working out how soon we can be "retired" to the ward ...
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Tue Jan 19, 2016 10:13 pm

Lol. I told my 7yo the above (a Home Ice Cream van passed this arvo!) and she just gave me 'you are the stupidest person in the whole world' look. Perhaps...

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Wed Jan 20, 2016 8:29 am

zill wrote:Take today. I didn't dry myself properly after taking a shower. So basically let myself dry through air coming from outside. Now, my shoulders feel stiffer. It could just run in the family.
If your shoulders are getting stiff with some discomfort in your back, check your posture while your riding. Lots of people tend to get into the "hunch" position. You've already gone through and got your bike setup for you, now you have to look at your posture on the bike.

I get the same issue particularly when I have been riding lots (IE: > 150km a week). I get sore neck, stiff shoulders, sore back and its mainly because of my bad posture while on the bike.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:21 am

TheWall wrote:Lol. I told my 7yo the above (a Home Ice Cream van passed this arvo!) and she just gave me 'you are the stupidest person in the whole world' look. Perhaps...
Ah, you left it too late. Once they are able to give "that look", they've already sussed out that you don't really know everything in the world as you've been pretending ... :)

My kids worked out that I don't know everything when I couldn't immediately give them the mass of Jupiter (true story ...)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Mbike23

Postby Mbike23 » Wed Jan 20, 2016 10:29 am

Before you have all finished dishing out zill's Dad there may have been a reason for his advice.
Tinea
While most of you will only associate this with your feet it does occur elsewhere on the body. With the second most common area being the groin (crotch rot), It can however be on any area of the body. Ring worm being the most known form of the infection. Being a fungal infection, damp, moist conditions will increase the likely hood of an occurrence. So if they lived in Queensland or the tropics this would have been more likely, hence his Dad advice to dry yourself thoroughly.
Having said that I had the unfortunate experience of Tinea (no not ring worm) on my body and I live in Melbourne. I picked it up as a result of swimming and the less than adequate cleaning of the change rooms, which involved only hosing it out and not proper foaming to kill the spores. It covered half my chest, part of the upper back, legs and some on the upper arms. It was very difficult to get rid of and only went after two course of anti-fungal tables.

TheShadow

Postby TheShadow » Wed Jan 20, 2016 3:04 pm

Mbike23 wrote:Before you have all finished dishing out zill's Dad there may have been a reason for his advice.
Tinea
While most of you will only associate this with your feet it does occur elsewhere on the body. With the second most common area being the groin (crotch rot),.... So if they lived in Queensland or the tropics this would have been more likely, hence his Dad advice to dry yourself thoroughly.

Having said that I had the unfortunate experience of Tinea (no not ring worm) on my body and I live in Melbourne. I picked it up as a result of swimming and the less than adequate cleaning of the change rooms, which involved only hosing it out and not proper foaming to kill the spores. It covered half my chest, part of the upper back, legs and some on the upper arms. It was very difficult to get rid of and only went after two course of anti-fungal tables.
Holy Mackeral! That's a bad dose! :lol: :lol: Makes me recall a visit to Dr aged 18 for same.
Me: "Dr, I've got this itchy rash *rolls some clothing out of the way*
Youngish Dr: "WHOA! :shock: Here, take this script, apply cream twice daily for 2 weeks!" :lol:

zill

Postby zill » Wed Jan 20, 2016 7:11 pm

marty_one wrote:
zill wrote:Take today. I didn't dry myself properly after taking a shower. So basically let myself dry through air coming from outside. Now, my shoulders feel stiffer. It could just run in the family.
If your shoulders are getting stiff with some discomfort in your back, check your posture while your riding. Lots of people tend to get into the "hunch" position. You've already gone through and got your bike setup for you, now you have to look at your posture on the bike.

I get the same issue particularly when I have been riding lots (IE: > 150km a week). I get sore neck, stiff shoulders, sore back and its mainly because of my bad posture while on the bike.

Didn't ride on the day. Pretty sure it's only due to the water from the shower.

Aussiebullet

Postby Aussiebullet » Thu Jan 21, 2016 5:55 am

What is the difference between water from the shower and getting in and out of the pool, ocean, river or lake a dozen times or more a day and drying naturally?
Once again Zill you have confused correlation with causation.
Was it your dad also who told you sweating would cause health problems?

TheShadow

Postby TheShadow » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:40 am

Aussiebullet wrote:What is the difference between water from the shower and getting in and out of the pool, ocean, river or lake a dozen times or more a day and drying naturally?
Once again Zill you have confused correlation with causation.
Was it your dad also who told you sweating would cause health problems?
I have to agree. It's like some sort of 19th century social/medical fixation that sweating was both unladylike and unhealthy, in a Jane Eyre novel of some sort. :lol: Not that I'm suggesting Zill has gender identity issues of any kind! But we now have elite women athletes who are obviously extremely fit and strong, while visibly sweating profusely in poorly ventilated stadium tennis courts, and of course (less well paid) female elite cyclists. Turns out the doctors had it backwards - the problems start when you STOP sweating > an indication that you have become dehydrated and are starting to suffer heat stroke.

If you want to worry about that, start weighing yourself on bathroom scales before and after physical efforts to make sure you have drunk enough water/electrolyte.

marty_one

Postby marty_one » Thu Jan 21, 2016 9:39 am

zill wrote:Didn't ride on the day. Pretty sure it's only due to the water from the shower.
There is no link between water/sweat drying on the surface of the skin and joint/muscle issues.

There are too many factors to consider why you might have stiff shoulders, riding too much with bad posture, sitting too long with bad posture, not enough core strength, the mattress your sleeping on could also be a cause. These are just a few that I can think of right now.

If this is a regular issue, then it would be best to speak with a doctor, physiotherapist and or start swimming. There are many, many benefits to the body that swimming provides. The water takes the weight off your back and allows the muscles in your back, neck and shoulders to relax while you float in the water. Lap swimming can help get a lot more of the muscles in your body moving that can potentially release tension in your back and shoulders as well.
Avantia Giro 3.0 2012

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Thu Jan 21, 2016 10:28 am

... but don't forget your towel.

:)
---------------------

CXCommuter

Postby CXCommuter » Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:24 pm

and when you are finished use a hydrating cream as water doesn't hydrate well

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Jan 21, 2016 6:36 pm

Kalgrm wrote:... but don't forget your towel.

:)
And a cup of tea... :)
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Mbike23

Postby Mbike23 » Thu Jan 21, 2016 8:27 pm

TheShadow wrote:
Mbike23 wrote:Before you have all finished dishing out zill's Dad there may have been a reason for his advice.
Tinea
While most of you will only associate this with your feet it does occur elsewhere on the body. With the second most common area being the groin (crotch rot),.... So if they lived in Queensland or the tropics this would have been more likely, hence his Dad advice to dry yourself thoroughly.

Holy Mackeral! That's a bad dose! :lol: :lol: Makes me recall a visit to Dr aged 18 for same.
Me: "Dr, I've got this itchy rash *rolls some clothing out of the way*
Youngish Dr: "WHOA! :shock: Here, take this script, apply cream twice daily for 2 weeks!" :lol:
Two weeks try two months and deity of choice knows how many tubes of cream. Haven't been in the pool since now over a year.