Recipes for energy bars -race day

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Macca_CX

Recipes for energy bars -race day

Postby Macca_CX » Thu Jan 28, 2016 10:25 pm

I am after a recipe for a moist energy bar that I can eat on the go in mtb races.

I usually make my own bars from oats, nuts etc combined with anything from banana, peanut butter to honey etc. These are great for a casual or training ride.

But I find in a race situation where I eat on the go, the bars take a lot to chomp down and can be dry.

I've been experimenting with the recipe but can't seem to nail it. I'm thinking now of taking the nuts out altogether even though they are chopped up finely.

So does anyone have any recipes that are tried and tested in races? Thanks

misterhorsey

Re: Recipes for energy bars -race day

Postby misterhorsey » Fri Jan 29, 2016 10:37 am

Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're racing you don't really need protein while you are riding, all you need is carbs/sugars to restore the glycogen depleted from your muscles. So you can probably drop the nuts until after the race.

Having tried a few ready made bars I've found winners bars have perfect moistness! I bulk bought a huge stack of Winners bars when they had a special and split it amongst friends. More expensive than making your own but they worked out much much cheaper than retail.

guyc

Postby guyc » Fri Jan 29, 2016 11:21 am

I actually find Winners bars too dry if I'm going hard and I'll often start coughing. The only bars I can handle are the Hammer bars which are really moist/soft. Would love a recipe for something similar.

Macca_CX

Postby Macca_CX » Fri Jan 29, 2016 12:23 pm

misterhorsey wrote:Someone else correct me if I'm wrong, but if you're racing you don't really need protein while you are riding, all you need is carbs/sugars to restore the glycogen depleted from your muscles. So you can probably drop the nuts until after the race.

Having tried a few ready made bars I've found winners bars have perfect moistness! I bulk bought a huge stack of Winners bars when they had a special and split it amongst friends. More expensive than making your own but they worked out much much cheaper than retail.
Through some research and talking to people I have found that you want some form of protein for events over 3 hours.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Tue Feb 02, 2016 9:35 am

Macca_CX wrote:Through some research and talking to people I have found that you want some form of protein for events over 3 hours.
Indeed. Here's how I tackle it.

For rides over 2 hours, bottle number 2 and following is High5 4:1 or Hammer Perpetuum.

I pull up a lot better the following day, feel much less "hung over" at work . Within 20 minutes after the ride, a double scoop serve of Sun Warrior vegan protein with a couple of tablespoons of sugar to help suck it into the muscles also helps with recovery. A piece of fruit along with it. I can't do the normal choccy milk or whey protein without my sinuses and lungs getting congested, which then affects sleep. 4:1 doesn't seem to have the same effect, but there's too much carbs and not enough protein for it to serve as a post-ride recovery drink for me.

Then meals per normal schedule.

At the moment I'm using the yoghurt-coated High5 energy bars which are OK, and I've also used Clif Bars with success. However, when I'm on the limit I find pretty much anything semi-solid sticks to the roof of my mouth and becomes a choking hazard.

im_no_pro
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby im_no_pro » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:13 am

These are my go to:
master6 wrote: Moderators are like Club Handicappers; I often think they are wrong, but I dont want the job.

Harry.

Postby Harry. » Wed Feb 03, 2016 1:00 pm

These are 2 variations of the GCN bars:

Cashew, vanilla and date 'white chocolate':
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 2 tbspns maple syrup
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 4 heaped tbpsn ground LSA meal
- 4 heaped tbspn almond meal
- 1 tbspn vanilla extract
- 3 heaped tbspns coconut oil
- 3 heaped tbspn cashew nut spread OR almond butter
- 8-12 soft dates (medjool are good)
- 1/3 cup flaked almonds

Chocolate, cranberry, coconut:
- 3 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 tbspn maple syrup
- 1/2 cup brown rice syrup
- 4 heaped tbpsn ground LSA meal
- 4 heaped tbspn almond meal
- 1 tbspn vanilla extract
- 1 heaped tbspn cashew nut spread OR almond butter
- 3 heaped tbspns coconut oil
- 8-12 soft dates (medjool are good)
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- 3 level tbspns cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup chopped dried cranberries
- shredded coconut flakes to sprinkle on top before baking

Method: combine all dry ingredients well in a large bowl, add wet ingredients in increments. Stir mixture well until well combined and cookie dough-like. Spoon mix onto bake tray lined with bake paper and evenly flatten out mixture using a spatula or back of a large spoon. Bake in the oven at 180 degrees c for 10-15 mins (edges and top will be golden brown). Measurements are rough, if mixture looks to dry/wet add more rice syrup/ cashew butter or LSA meal.

Macca_CX

Postby Macca_CX » Wed Feb 03, 2016 11:24 pm

Harry. wrote:These are 2 variations of the GCN bars:

Cashew, vanilla and date 'white chocolate'
These sound like they will go down a treat and wont be too bulky to eat whilst riding. I'll make some on the weekend. Thanks

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Thu Feb 04, 2016 3:20 pm

I might make some as well although that means entering the kitchen
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.