sleep and pancreas function

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
zill

sleep and pancreas function

Postby zill » Tue Feb 02, 2016 1:19 pm

Was told today by my Chiropractor that eating lots of garbage causes the pancreas to work badly/irregularly which in turn can disrupt sleep. How true is this?

Constantheadwind

Re: sleep and pancreas function

Postby Constantheadwind » Tue Feb 02, 2016 2:56 pm

What's your view?

V8rider

Postby V8rider » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:20 pm

Has to be true. Oscar the grouch is always grumpy, which must be from lack of sleep due to all the rubbish he eats.

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Feb 02, 2016 3:33 pm

Have you ever gotten seriously drunk? If so how did you sleep? Slept so well you can't remember it until 3pm the next day?

Myth busted.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

eeksll

Postby eeksll » Tue Feb 02, 2016 4:50 pm

Calvin27 wrote:Have you ever gotten seriously drunk? If so how did you sleep? Slept so well you can't remember it until 3pm the next day?

Myth busted.
hehe, my experience is not the same. Alcohol minor or major does not do well for a good nights sleep (for me anyway).

drugs aside, I have never associated bad sleep with food.

kb

Postby kb » Tue Feb 02, 2016 6:58 pm

Overeating isn't fantastic for me. My wife tends to have more vivid dreams with MSG.

Bunged Knee

Postby Bunged Knee » Tue Feb 02, 2016 8:21 pm

Why don`t you try it and you might believe your Chiropractor words or not???
ID please? What ID? My seat tube ID is 27.2mm or 31.6mm depending on what bikes I ride today.thanks...

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Feb 02, 2016 10:58 pm

Your chiropractor is generally right.

But it eventually becomes a chicken and egg thing. Poor sleep habits can dysregulate sugar metabolism, and lead to sugar pangs. But sugar dysregulation can cause you to pee more at night and not get enough glucose to the brain, which will both lead to poor sleep quality.

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Wed Feb 03, 2016 5:19 pm

I don't believe 'eating lots of garbage' is good for anything...

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:48 pm

GAV!N wrote:I don't believe 'eating lots of garbage' is good for anything...
that's a given gaven! :)

zill, the path of optimal health is a razor's edge. period!

you are either on the razor's edge, or investing in more disease and an earlier death.

here's a thing!
every time you eat junk food, set aside 15 times the cost of that meal into a special bank account.
that account will be for the medical bills, personal care, and lost income you eventually are burdened with that you wouldn't have if you ate healthier.

i.e. say you spend $12 5 days a week on junk food. That's $60 a week. That means you have to set aside $900 that week for your future health and personal care.

I doubt you can set aside that much money.....and you know what that means? You cannot afford to eat junk food, unless you pay by dying earlier.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Feb 03, 2016 10:57 pm

V8rider wrote:Has to be true. Oscar the grouch is always grumpy, which must be from lack of sleep due to all the rubbish he eats.
:mrgreen:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

zill

Postby zill » Thu Feb 04, 2016 11:21 am

CKinnard wrote:
GAV!N wrote:I don't believe 'eating lots of garbage' is good for anything...
that's a given gaven! :)

zill, the path of optimal health is a razor's edge. period!

you are either on the razor's edge, or investing in more disease and an earlier death.

here's a thing!
every time you eat junk food, set aside 15 times the cost of that meal into a special bank account.
that account will be for the medical bills, personal care, and lost income you eventually are burdened with that you wouldn't have if you ate healthier.

i.e. say you spend $12 5 days a week on junk food. That's $60 a week. That means you have to set aside $900 that week for your future health and personal care.

I doubt you can set aside that much money.....and you know what that means? You cannot afford to eat junk food, unless you pay by dying earlier.

I've improved the way my money is stored in banks so that I have to call each time I want to access my card. Obviously I don't keep cash with me either. Have been eating clean for 7 days consecutively which hasn't happened in 12 months. So I'm really happy so far. I think this is likely to continue because 1. I really dislike to make calls to banks and 2. I have worked out two dishes that I really like and usually eat them for 2 meals per day. The other meal is porridge and honey. Snack is just fruit.

The remaining thing I have to work on is sleep. It seems setting a daily pattern is most important. I just have to sleep at a set time and wake up at a set time on a daily basis. This is hard for me as my job has irregular hours.