Do high carb (fructose) drinks cause tooth decay?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
TheShadow

Do high carb (fructose) drinks cause tooth decay?

Postby TheShadow » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:46 pm

I was warned about 'sports drinks' many years ago by my dentist. He said they were quite acidic and suggested I wash down such drinks with a mouthful of straight water immediately afterwards.
I sorta did that for a while, but often I would have one high carb drink and one straight electrolyte drink in the other bottle, so often did not carry straight water.

Currently, I've been using a lot of High5 Energy Source. My limited understanding of it is that it's primarily fructose; that's what supplies virtually all the carbs. It tastes very sweet. It works pretty good, imo, in maintaining high levels of blood sugar and energy levels, along with the electrolytes in it. But I'm just a little concerned as to what it might be doing to my teeth.

I'm in my forties, pretty fit. I think I have plenty of saliva production going on to protect my teeth. I don't drink caffeine, alcohol or eat sugar in any other form, other than some fruit and some dates. Any thoughts or experiences?

guyc

Re: Do high carb (fructose) drinks cause tooth decay?

Postby guyc » Sun Feb 07, 2016 1:58 pm

My dentist told me the same thing, I try to stick to water now especially for shorter rides.

Might try some of this stuff one day ... http://www.sukkie.com.au/our_story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sun Feb 07, 2016 2:44 pm

It's not the fructose. It's the food acid in the flavouring. Sugar only causes decay if you don't clean your teeth after eating.

I use a LOT of High5. But I also drink plenty of water through the day.

I'm early fifties and have zero fillings. Flouridated water helps heaps.

m@

Postby m@ » Sun Feb 07, 2016 11:33 pm

guyc wrote:My dentist told me the same thing, I try to stick to water now especially for shorter rides.

Might try some of this stuff one day ... http://www.sukkie.com.au/our_story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
It's good!
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe