dizziness on descents

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
headasunder

dizziness on descents

Postby headasunder » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:56 pm

I occasionally suffer dizziness on long steep descents it happens reasonably regularly and is off putting. I don’t monitor my heart rate so have no idea whats going on in that department I assume it could be a blood pressure thing? my BP is usually good to low for my age (51). Today I took some grub with me on a 70k ride half way down the first big decent I started feeling light headed I ate at the bottom and ground my way back up? not sure whats going on any advice would be appreciated

NASHIE

Re: dizziness on descents

Postby NASHIE » Mon Feb 08, 2016 5:18 pm

Go visit your Doc mate. Not something i would want occuring on a descent. Might be nothing but I'm sure your Doc will take anything heart related very seriously and sort you out.

herzog

Postby herzog » Mon Feb 08, 2016 6:03 pm

Yeah definitely talk to your GP.

LG

Postby LG » Mon Feb 08, 2016 8:50 pm

Interestingly, I usual feel dizzy on ascents, I'm not much of a climber though :lol:
LG = Low Gear

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Mon Feb 08, 2016 9:48 pm

Are you in the drops? Could be as simple as you aren't used to supporting the weight of your head and shoulder tension

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Mon Feb 08, 2016 11:40 pm

Blood pooling in your lower legs as your heart rate and muscular activity goes from extremely high to very little as you go over the top of the climb??? (This is one of the reasons warming down at the end of a workout is recommended, rather than just suddenly stopping).

Regularly turning the legs over on the descent (even if you aren't applying any force) will help blood return to general circulation.

(Although I agree with getting checked out by a doc just to rule out anything more serious).

headasunder

Postby headasunder » Tue Feb 09, 2016 5:49 am

I always descend on the drops for the added braking leverage, I will try consistently turning the legs over on the descent it makes good sense as after a long downhill my legs feel like lead when I hit the next climb