has anyone used/tried beta hydroxybutyrate?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
big booty

has anyone used/tried beta hydroxybutyrate?

Postby big booty » Wed Mar 09, 2016 4:24 pm

Has anyone tried the supplement BHB? As best as I can make out its akin to drinking acetone (its very closely related to a ketone). As best as I can make out you can use up to 6-8% less in O2 consumption for the same physical output if you've taken some BHB. The upshot being that you can then up your physical effort.

Baalzamon

Re: has anyone used/tried beta hydroxybutyrate?

Postby Baalzamon » Wed Mar 09, 2016 8:34 pm

Nope never.
I call those products scams as your body will make it's own beta hydroxybutyrate if your doing keto correctly. I'd rather fork out my $$$ on good meat and veges with good fats.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

big booty

Postby big booty » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:40 pm

Im not on a keto diet but incorporate regular fast days. I used to do 2 consecutive days per week but have backed that down to one day per week since I hit my target weight. Not sure what youd call my diet. I eat some meat occasionally, fish regularly, lots of veg, lots of beans/lentils, lots of nuts and dairy, some fruit, mostly berries. Very little processed carbs like bread, pasta, rice etc. I still go into ketosis by the end of my one day fast (0.5-1mmol) but was wondering if there was any advantage to topping up with BHB before a ride? Was wanting to know if anyone had tried it.

Constantheadwind

Postby Constantheadwind » Wed Mar 09, 2016 11:07 pm

Peter Attia has, apparently a strong stomach is required to keep it down.

http://eatingacademy.com/personal/exper ... us-ketones

chriscole

Postby chriscole » Fri Mar 11, 2016 5:15 pm

Complete bovine faeces. (Edited to appease the wowser-friendly filter). Eat food.

ironhanglider

Postby ironhanglider » Mon Mar 14, 2016 11:04 pm

If it worked as claimed, it would be banned (at least for competitive sportspeople).

Cheers,

Cameron