"Outer Hip" Pain

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Harrys767

"Outer Hip" Pain

Postby Harrys767 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:33 am

Hi all.

I have been riding regularly for about 8 months (65-110km / week including a few good hills). I have done about 500km on my new road bike which I'm loving. I haven't had any problems until this week though, when I went out for a 50km ride and finished up with sore outer hips/upper legs. It's not tender to touch but just feels achy when I walk around. I hadn't changed anything with my setup except that I went riding when I had just returned from overseas (ie a bit jet lagged and quite tired).

Any ideas?

find_bruce

Re: "Outer Hip" Pain

Postby find_bruce » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:53 am

I had something similar over the new year - turned out my seat post had slipped down slightly & my saddle had slipped backwards. Fixing both of those opened my hips out & no more problems
Anything you can do, I can do slower

Harrys767

Postby Harrys767 » Wed Mar 16, 2016 8:58 am

Thanks Bruce. I'm doing a bit of reading and seeing similar things. Cheers!

Propagate

Postby Propagate » Wed Mar 16, 2016 12:48 pm

I've been riding for years but recently got outer hip pain in my left hip. Slowly got worse the last few weeks.

Seems I tend to walk with the outside of my heel hitting the ground first, I realized that my "new" walking/day shoes had very quickly worn to a wedge shape as the sole was very soft. Seems it was rotating my hip outward when walking, which must have agrevated a nerve or something.

Binned the shoes and back to shoes with a very hard sole that haven't worn to a wedge, this keeps my leg/hip straighter when walking and the pain has slowly started to disappear.

So. maybe have a check of the wear on you walking/daily shoes?