Plant Based Diet Thread

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Nobody

Re: Plant Based Diet Thread

Postby Nobody » Sat Oct 29, 2016 12:08 pm

I haven't been posting a lot of videos or article links lately and I'll probably continue that way.

However I thought this one was interesting since part of it was critical of a particular plant_based/vegan author's findings in a video:

Then it crossed my mind that this author might be Greger and the link to it I might have already posted on the 13th Oct:
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=89413&start=425#p1371719

Then CK correctly replied on the 18th:
viewtopic.php?f=49&t=89413&start=425#p1372474

This should make me even more careful about what I post. But it could happen again, since I'm no expert and therefore can be easily deceived. Apologies to all those misled. :oops:

I also found interesting in the long introduction that 85% of vegans do it for ethical reasons (time 05:06 from video above, linked below) which would throw the health statistics out significantly. Since people like myself who changed for health reasons are by far in the minority. This is encouraging even though the science isn't in our favor. So if I cover all the gaps like Vit B12 & D, essential fats, etc, I could potentially do better than the science suggests.
https://youtu.be/IcTj6I6DWLk?t=5m6s

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sun Oct 30, 2016 11:09 pm

So I've been reading McDougall's forum more lately. Usually to get Jeff Novick's take on subjects. I found the following thread on satiation and the balance between food weight, volume and calorie density to be interesting. It looks like I may be aiming too low in the calorie density range to get good satiation. It's OK for weight loss and works for me, but it's not for everyone.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/view ... 2&p=217427

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Oct 31, 2016 4:52 pm

Nobody wrote: I also found interesting in the long introduction that 85% of vegans do it for ethical reasons (time 05:06 from video above, linked below) which would throw the health statistics out significantly. Since people like myself who changed for health reasons are by far in the minority. This is encouraging even though the science isn't in our favor. So if I cover all the gaps like Vit B12 & D, essential fats, etc, I could potentially do better than the science suggests.
I think there's adequate data to show historically, more people went vegan/vegetarian for health reasons, as in to improve a disease state. I remember this was the view of dietitians Rosemary Stanton and Amanda Benham in the 70s and 80s.

I think it is a more recent phenomenon spurred by famous actors to go vegan for ethical reasons.

Why people go vegan should always be counterbalanced by why people stop being vegan.

3 out of 4 ethical vegans go back to eating meat because of concerns about their health. i.e. they weren't eating a healthy vegan diet, but were just focusing on not eating animals. This fits with the experience of every clinician I know, including Amanda.

On the other hand, health vegans don't have the attrition rate of ethical vegans, and generally are better educated about nutrition and meal planning.

The % of health vegans with pre-existing disease, and the high % of ethical vegans who don't do healthy vegan, could account for why pescatorians have a lower hazard ratio in the AHS II study.

I would also argue that it is only in the last 7-10 years that a healthy balanced vegan diet has become better elucidated in the literature and media. Previously guidance on supplements and portions of seeds, nuts, legumes, etc was very very fuzzy.
Last edited by CKinnard on Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Oct 31, 2016 5:04 pm

Nobody wrote:So I've been reading McDougall's forum more lately. Usually to get Jeff Novick's take on subjects. I found the following thread on satiation and the balance between food weight, volume and calorie density to be interesting. It looks like I may be aiming too low in the calorie density range to get good satiation. It's OK for weight loss and works for me, but it's not for everyone.

https://www.drmcdougall.com/forums/view ... 2&p=217427

Jeff is highly respected in the US vegan world. I also consider him a genuine trail blazer in dumbing down portion sizes and balanced meal plans. However, I think his density work can be improved on significantly. I recall his energy density charts had several factoids that no matter how I ran the numbers, and accounted for averaging technique, were just plain inaccurate/misleading.

I also don't think Jeff has a firm enough grasp on the literature to appreciate the many pathways that contribute to satiety dysregulation. And I'd extend that to most at True North and McDougall's circle. Nevertheless, there's a younger crop of vegan doctors at TN I met who are better read in the rapidly expanding PBWF and microbiome literature.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Oct 31, 2016 6:32 pm

CKinnard wrote:I recall his energy density charts had several factoids that no matter how I ran the numbers, and accounted for averaging technique, were just plain inaccurate/misleading.
Fair enough. I don't think anyone has all the answers.
CKinnard wrote:I also don't think Jeff has a firm enough grasp on the literature to appreciate the many pathways that contribute to satiety dysregulation. And I'd extend that to most at True North and McDougall's circle. Nevertheless, there's a younger crop of vegan doctors at TN I met who are better read in the rapidly expanding PBWF and microbiome literature.
Although I've read many vegan/PFPB diet books and other stuff plus many videos, I can see there's still more to learn both from you and others. Like I'm now eating far more fibrous veg (including cruciferous) thanks to your advice, so thanks for that. :) Still working well for me.

As said, the next checklist item for me is to make sure my body is making enough EPA/DHA.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Oct 31, 2016 7:04 pm

CKinnard wrote:I think there's adequate data to show historically, more people went vegan/vegetarian for health reasons, as in to improve a disease state. I remember this was the view of dietitians Rosemary Stanton and Amanda Benham in the 70s and 80s.

I think it is a more recent phenomenon spurred by famous actors to go vegan for ethical reasons.

Why people go vegan should always be counterbalanced by why people stop being vegan.

3 out of 4 ethical vegans go back to eating meat because of concerns about their health. i.e. they weren't eating a healthy vegan diet, but were just focusing on not eating animals. This fits with the experience of every clinician I know, including Amanda.

On the other hand, health vegans don't have the attrition rate of ethical vegans, and generally are better educated about nutrition and meal planning.
Interesting, thanks. I didn't know the AU history.

I believe education and commitment is required to make a proper go of it. That's two reasons why this thread is here. To pass on things we learn and to encourage.
CKinnard wrote:The % of health vegans with pre-existing disease, and the high % of ethical vegans who don't do healthy vegan, could account for why pescatorians have a lower hazard ratio in the AHS II study.
Have to agree with this since I'm one of the vegans with pre-existing problems. It has made it harder, but also driven me harder to get results.
CKinnard wrote:I would also argue that it is only in the last 7-10 years that a healthy balanced vegan diet has become better elucidated in the literature and media. Previously guidance on supplements and portions of seeds, nuts, legumes, etc was very very fuzzy.
Good to know.
Probably a reason why the homocysteine study results are so poor for vegans.
McDougall isn't convinced that nuts & seeds are either necessary or helpful, who still has a lot of influence. At least he is softening his stance by saying the science is currently unclear. One reason why I won't bother to buy his latest book. Esselstyn also advises to avoid nuts if you have heart disease. Or at least that's what it says in his book.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Nov 16, 2016 11:17 am

His web site:
http://veganhealth.org/
Blog:
http://jacknorrisrd.com/

He touches on a point in the video I agree with. Which is the notion that a plant based diet doesn't have to be a natural diet to be the best diet for humans. I don't want to get hung up by what we think happened in the past. I just want the ideal diet for me from what is available today, in harmony with what the science tells us. So that means I'll eat the foods in my diet know to be individually good for me from the science. Along with my personal observations and blood tests of what works for me on an individual level. Along with whatever supplementation is required to achieve reasonable health.

I found it interesting that the in one of the studies (EPIC or Adventist) the vegans still had 29% fat intake. No wonder their average BMI is a bit higher at around 23.6. My fat intake is about 8 to 10%, or < 30g/d according to Cronometer. I also now have a lower protein intake than most of about 58g/d or 8%. These combined seem to make most of the difference as my BMI is 20.0 currently. I also probably get more exercise than their average, get more fibre and do some intermittent feeding from time to time.

He generally has some interesting ideas on things like the need for saturated fat in some people, EPA/DHA, iodine, calcium and iron. But then he doesn't recommend a lot of blood testing, which is odd. How do you know if you have a problem or not, if you don't look?

I disagree with his advice of the need for calcium supplementation since WHO and a recent calcium study for plant based eaters shows only about 500mg/d is required. Also Greger did a video showing there is an association between calcium supplements and heart attacks.
http://www.who.int/dietphysicalactivity ... _osteo.pdf
http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/wol1/doi ... 4/abstract
http://nutritionfacts.org/video/are-cal ... ents-safe/
https://youtu.be/Gm-9McHXhwc?t=2m4s

He appears to still be using cholesterol as an arterial inflammation/atherosclerosis reference when many studies have shown other more direct inflammation markers like hs-CRP to be better. Maybe it's because he's catering to an audience that may only understand cholesterol.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3038964/
In particular, table 2 below.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articl ... /table/T2/

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Fri Nov 18, 2016 10:07 pm

I've seen figures where they quote % of calories from a particular source, for example 30% of calories from fat and this seems to get confused with the % of the diet, ie 30% of intake is from fat, which is a very different figure
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Nov 18, 2016 11:29 pm

Assume they are always talking about % of calories. People who study nutrition generally don't talk in grams of fat, which would be small as a percentage. They could, but the assumption is always calories.

However, I think the majority of the general population are confused and do talk in g/100g of macronutrients like fat. My wife does. But that's how people easily get themselves into trouble, by consuming way too much fat (assuming they are on a standard western diet). For example, my wife was taught in home economics that 10g/100g of fat or less is acceptable. But those same meals when I've done the numbers in calories, can be over 40% of fat by calories.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sat Nov 19, 2016 1:08 pm

Yeh 10% fat max is a figure that has been used for a while. Unfortunately the food industry latched on to it and brought out low fat versions of their existing portfolio where the simply replaced the fat with sugar with the end result being just as many calories and feeling hungry, a recipe for disaster.

Load the plate up with green vegetables and its much easier to keep within limits one has set for other stuff

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Nov 19, 2016 3:53 pm

Cardiorespiratory Fitness and Peak Torque Differences between Vegetarian and Omnivore Endurance Athletes: A Cross-Sectional Study
Abstract: In spite of well-documented health benefits of vegetarian diets, less is known regarding the effects of these diets on athletic performance. In this cross-sectional study, we compared elite vegetarian and omnivore adult endurance athletes for maximal oxygen uptake (VO2 max) and strength. Twenty-seven vegetarian (VEG) and 43 omnivore (OMN) athletes were evaluated using VO2 max testing on the treadmill, and strength assessment using a dynamometer to determine peak torque for leg extensions. Dietary data were assessed using detailed seven-day food logs. Although total protein intake was lower among vegetarians in comparison to omnivores, protein intake as a function of body mass did not differ by group (1.2 ± 0.3 and 1.4 ± 0.5 g/kg body mass for VEG and OMN respectively, p = 0.220). VO2 max differed for females by diet group (53.0 ± 6.9 and 47.1 ± 8.6 mL/kg/min for VEG and OMN respectively, p < 0.05) but not for males (62.6 ± 15.4 and 55.7 ± 8.4 mL/kg/min respectively). Peak torque did not differ significantly between diet groups. Results from this study indicate that vegetarian endurance athletes’ cardiorespiratory fitness was greater than that for their omnivorous counterparts, but that peak torque did not differ between diet groups. These data suggest that vegetarian diets do not compromise performance outcomes and may facilitate aerobic capacity in athletes.
From "4.4. VO2 Max":
As this study did not use participants who practiced vegetarianism outside of the study, and the amount of protein that subjects were allowed to consume on the vegetarian diet was restricted, true differences between vegetarians and omnivores may not be evident.
(My bold)
5. Conclusions
Our cross-sectional comparison of vegetarian and omnivore adult endurance athletes shows higher maximal oxygen uptake values among vegetarians and comparable strength, in spite of anthropometric and dietary differences. This study suggests that following a vegetarian diet may adequately support strength and cardiorespiratory fitness development, and may even be advantageous for supporting cardiorespiratory fitness.
(My bold)

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Nov 19, 2016 5:33 pm

mikesbytes wrote:Yeh 10% fat max is a figure that has been used for a while.
It's wrong as a general guide. Standard cows milk only has 3.3% fat by grams, but 49% fat by calories. Percentage of calorie intake is what matters. All this time people have been misinformed. They think they are eating low fat, but aren't. The average AU diet is 31% fat by calories.
mikesbytes wrote:Unfortunately the food industry latched on to it and brought out low fat versions of their existing portfolio where they simply replaced the fat with sugar with the end result being just as many calories and feeling hungry, a recipe for disaster.
Yes they did this. So they replaced very high density foods (fats & oils) with other high density foods (primarily sugars, and more processed carbs) and often more salt. No surprise, but don't believe that because of this that everyone was suddenly eating low fat and getting fat. Fat consumption on average was still increasing, as were processed foods, regardless of whether high fat or high carb/sugar. Which is the real problem. The "sugars and carbs are making us fat" is just a "red herring" thrown up by the high fat camp to defend their own addiction(s) or position. Of course, sugars and processed carbs add weight, but so do many other things. I don't want to be in a camp, but people need to ditch the packaged processed foods, processed grains, animal products, restaurant/take_away foods, sugars, oils, salt, limit high density foods like high fat foods, reduce protein and add fibre. Then most people will find their body weight should drop easily.

Too difficult? It's the individual's problem then. But most people won't commit because they are addicted to their foods and/or their lifestyle. They obviously don't want the weight reduction/health enough. And since many would rather die than change their lifestyle, nothing is going to change any time soon. Good for the big food industries, good for Big Pharma and good for the various medical practices. Bad for the individual and the tax payer in the long term.

Anyway the "sugar is bad, therefore lets go back to eating lots of meat (20+% fat) with the token veg", like in the '60s, isn't the answer either. People were dying of heart disease and getting diabetes long before the advice to have a low fat diet came along. If you have any doubt about what causes diabetes, you shouldn't after reading the links below. But this has been discussed many times before in the Diet Thread. If people choose not to believe it, it's not my problem.
http://nutritionfacts.org/2016/11/17/fa ... -diabetes/
http://www.pcrm.org/nbBlog/conquering-d ... bohydrates

mikesbytes wrote:Load the plate up with green vegetables and its much easier to keep within limits one has set for other stuff
True, but colour isn't overly important. A variety of veg would be beneficial. Also, as said above, there's also plenty to take off the plate if interested in maximising health.
The govt guideline for veg is 6 serves and 2 serves for fruit.
I usually get about:
17 serves of veg, (no lugumes)
14 serves of fruit
2 serves of (whole) grains
1 serve of seeds/nuts (which comes under the protein group)
0 serves of dairy/alternatives
0 discretionary

According to Cronometer combined with WHO recommendations, I get everything I need without dairy and only 1 serve of nuts/seeds.
Since the observational science doesn't support the need for separate dairy, protein, or discretionary groups, it could be the industries' influence that keeps them there. After all, these guidelines as supposed to be about what you should eat according the known nutritional science. Not compromises. They should raise the bar higher IMO.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Nov 20, 2016 11:12 pm

<Post / Link removed by Admin>
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Nov 21, 2016 4:02 am

Admin Says:
In this thread, the thread-starter / interested-participants have specifically asked for the thread to be discussed with a certain format which the mods / admin are happy to accommodate.

In the first post it very clearly asks for the pro / con discussions to be conducted in other existing or new threads and not here. A very fair request and made with very clear intentions to ensure that the thread stays on topic.

As the admin, I understand the friction between some members but ask for a positive and respectful interaction and taking the option of holding back when participation is off-topic, irrelevant or disruptive.

Christopher / Admin
Cycling is in my BNA

RhapsodyX

Postby RhapsodyX » Mon Nov 21, 2016 12:33 pm

Nobody wrote:...
From "4.4. VO2 Max":
As this study did not use participants who practiced vegetarianism outside of the study, and the amount of protein that subjects were allowed to consume on the vegetarian diet was restricted, true differences between vegetarians and omnivores may not be evident.
(My bold)
You are quoting the wrong study.
It was fairly clear from the participant recruitment section of the linked study you are reporting on, that participants were "somewhat" long term vegetarian/vegans. The text you excerpted was discussing the Hietavala study.
Other work that contributes to our understanding of aerobic and anaerobic performance differences by diet include the study of Hietavala et al. that found no significant difference in time to exhaustion (albeit a higher oxygen uptake at a given percent of maximal oxygen consumption) between participants following a low-protein vegetarian diet compared to a mixed diet [38]. Subjects in this study adhered to the low protein vegetarian diet (0.80 ± 0.11 g of protein per kilogram of body mass (g/kg) vs. 1.59 ± 0.28 g/kg on their normal diet) for four days before being tested on a cycle ergometer. As this study did not use participants who practiced vegetarianism outside of the study, and the amount of protein that subjects were allowed to consume on the vegetarian diet was restricted, true differences between vegetarians and omnivores may not be evident. Baguet et al. found no differences in repeated sprint ability between participants following a vegetarian or mixed diet for five weeks; again, these subjects were not following a vegetarian diet long-term [26]. Raben et al. found no differences in maximal oxygen uptake among subjects after adoption of a lacto-ovo vegetarian diet for six weeks [25]. However, the major disadvantage of interpreting results of these studies for vegetarian athletes is that participants in these studies only adhered to a vegetarian diet briefly for the duration of the study.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Nov 21, 2016 1:01 pm

RhapsodyX wrote:You are quoting the wrong study...
Thanks for the correction. Sorry for the oversight.

Probably makes more sense now, since long term plant based eaters are going to have more of a difference to long term omnivores.

I couldn't comment before because I though the study was short term, but it's consistent with my experience. I am physically smaller and noticeably thinner. Yet although 20+ kg lighter, my dead lifting weight has not decreased, or the reps. But I'm very intermittent with my dead lifting. I make sure I get out on the bike more times a week than I do a set of dead lifts. It's just to help preserve some strength and bone mass. I may not even dead lift once a week some weeks.

As for average speed on the bike, it improved more than 10% over a couple of months, however I also decreased in weight over that time. But since around SOP is fairly flat, I don't believe it was all just because of weight reduction.
I haven't had a computer on my bike for possibly years now. I also should be aging significantly at almost 49 yo, so I shouldn't expect anything to improve.

I'm due for some more blood tests in about 3 weeks. It should be interesting to see if anything has improved. I've been getting more veg, increased my B12, increased nuts & seeds, reduced my grains and eliminated legumes. I've also reduced my WHtR further. So theoretically the results shouldn't be worse.

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Mon Nov 21, 2016 7:53 pm

Just how far can you cycle now nobody without any caloric intake? Me I can easily do 100km and longer.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Nov 21, 2016 8:45 pm

Some people take longer than others to digest and process even straight forward information I guess.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Mon Nov 21, 2016 9:57 pm

Nobody, how much do you DL?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:21 am

How much I dead lift is irrelevant. The relative change (or lack of) is the only relevant piece of information. It is fairly light since I do about 18 reps in a set.
Same with cycling. My speed relative to others doesn't matter. Just the change is relevant.
Last edited by Nobody on Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Tue Nov 22, 2016 9:25 am

I'm just curious, I haven't lifted in years and was thinking of having a go to see how much strength I've lost. My sprint has been a bit lacking as was evident at the NSW track champs this year

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Tue Nov 22, 2016 1:19 pm

Haven't set foot in a gym for 10 years. When I swapped that for cycling I had a sprint.
It is long since gone :lol:
Dogs are the best people :wink:

RhapsodyX

Postby RhapsodyX » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:05 pm

Hmmmm... something for you to read, nobody.
News version.
The paper.

RhapsodyX

Postby RhapsodyX » Wed Nov 23, 2016 8:14 pm

Did you pick up on the part (4.3) where both vegan/vegetarian and omnivore diet had "visceral abdominal fat" above the average for their age? Given the number of athletes that end up with Type II, it once again raises the question of starchy foods/sports gels/drinks etc., insulin spikes and visceral deposition.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Nov 23, 2016 9:23 pm

Yes. But I didn't think it was relevant to the thread as they both had the same problem which suggests it's an athlete issue, rather than a significant difference between diets. OT for this thread IMO.