Explanation needed regarding the exercise health industry

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
zill

Explanation needed regarding the exercise health industry

Postby zill » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:18 am

I've recently had trouble with my calf muscle when pedaling. It hurts a little and there is a clear difference between the left and right calf when pedaling.

I've seen many physios and message therapists regarding it. They ALL told me NOT to decrease my training load when I asked them about it. Recently, through a friend I got into another sport and wanted to pursue it a bit more with it so had to decrease my cycling due to time constraints. After an easy 2 weeks of just commuting and no cycling training my calf has improved significantly, the biggest progress in improvement in 6 months, more effective than massage, needling etc.

So my question is, why didn't any of the health professionals tell me to just take it easy for a while?

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Re: Explanation needed regarding the exercise health industr

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Mar 30, 2016 10:52 am

I don't know the answer Zill, but I seem to remember a few guys here telling you to take it easy and rest it. Am I remembering that correctly?

(Edit: But then again, I'm often telling you to get professional help and not rely on the opinions of forum dwellers for health-related matters, so who am I to judge? :) I thought your bike fit fixed the problem ....)

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

zill

Postby zill » Wed Mar 30, 2016 11:19 am

The bike fit helped a lot but couldn't get to 100% even after it. Two weeks easy on the bike however, and the calf is 100% for the first 30 min or so of the ride but starts to get worse after that. So I am guessing all I need to do is to rest longer.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Wed Mar 30, 2016 12:51 pm

zill wrote:So my question is, why didn't any of the health professionals tell me to just take it easy for a while?
When I had a torn calf muscle ages ago, those I saw did tell me to take it easy for a good long while and only ease back into it very gradually. I followed the advice they gave me and very fortunately I don't normally have any more troubles with it.

zill

Postby zill » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:48 pm

g-boaf wrote:
zill wrote:So my question is, why didn't any of the health professionals tell me to just take it easy for a while?
When I had a torn calf muscle ages ago, those I saw did tell me to take it easy for a good long while and only ease back into it very gradually. I followed the advice they gave me and very fortunately I don't normally have any more troubles with it.

NASHIE

Postby NASHIE » Wed Mar 30, 2016 9:51 pm

zill wrote:
So my question is, why didn't any of the health professionals tell me to just take it easy for a while?
They want your business :wink:

zill

Postby zill » Thu Mar 31, 2016 3:14 am

NASHIE wrote:
zill wrote:
They want your business :wink:
That's what I am suspecting!

koshari

Postby koshari » Thu Mar 31, 2016 8:13 am

chiropractors are famous for this.

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Thu Mar 31, 2016 7:32 pm

Why didn't you ask the numerous health professionals who examined you first hand to explain their rationale and conclusions? As they all appear to be giving the same advice, they are reaching the same or very similar conclusion and this has not been communicated properly to you.

GAV!N

Postby GAV!N » Thu Apr 14, 2016 6:56 pm

zill wrote:The bike fit helped a lot but couldn't get to 100% even after it. Two weeks easy on the bike however, and the calf is 100% for the first 30 min or so of the ride but starts to get worse after that. So I am guessing all I need to do is to rest longer.
If it's starting to get worse after 30 minutes, then I do not believe you are healed like you think you are. It's likely the 2 weeks of easy riding has just taken some of the symptoms away. It sounds like if you go back to your previous routine, the pain/injury will return.

zill

Postby zill » Fri Apr 15, 2016 8:42 pm

GAV!N wrote:
zill wrote:The bike fit helped a lot but couldn't get to 100% even after it. Two weeks easy on the bike however, and the calf is 100% for the first 30 min or so of the ride but starts to get worse after that. So I am guessing all I need to do is to rest longer.
If it's starting to get worse after 30 minutes, then I do not believe you are healed like you think you are. It's likely the 2 weeks of easy riding has just taken some of the symptoms away. It sounds like if you go back to your previous routine, the pain/injury will return.
Yeah just commuting. Might be out for 12 months.