It band massage

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Kesahli

It band massage

Postby Kesahli » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:15 pm

Went to my lacal massage therapist yesterday with some pain in lower back and down through front of thigh and groin. "Diagnosed" as femoral nerve pain as a result of inflammation in lower back, most likely due to an earlier knock to my back (he said there is an old bruise there). Massaged it out and did my it bands on thighs as well, as have had some niggles in legs lately. Holy crap does it hurt when he digs in! But my legs feel amazing today.
Haven't ridden yet but looking forward to next ride.
His tip was to use the edge of a bar of soap on your itb when in the shower, running up from knee towards top of thigh 3-4 times then work outwards from centre. Again going from bottom to top. Worth a try and thought i would pass it on.

Calvin27

Re: It band massage

Postby Calvin27 » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:23 pm

Foam roller?

At some point they cease to be useful and you go to bunnings for pvc tubes. After that you can only get it done profesionally. My regular guy (about bi monthly) has point elbows like nothing. Holds it for a long time and when I think he is 80% through the band, I look and he's only done 40%.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

Kesahli

Re: It band massage

Postby Kesahli » Wed Mar 30, 2016 1:31 pm

I asked my guy about the foam roller and he suggested they aren't specific enough. Hence the soap! He did say that it will only hold it at bay and will need to be done professionally every now and then. But even a couple times a week will help