Sudden onset of sore/numb hands

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
mogwaiboi

Sudden onset of sore/numb hands

Postby mogwaiboi » Thu Apr 21, 2016 6:28 pm

Hi All

Lately on rides I have been suffering from sore hands and sometimes numbness in certain fingers on long rides. This happens across several road bikes, and no changes or adjustments have been made lately either. This happens with or without gloves. I'm not sure if this is being caused by tightness in another area of my body, causing me to put more pressure on my hands? Anyone have any other ideas at all? Thanks!
Avoiding pissed of bogans in SUV's...

Duck!
Expert

Re: Sudden onset of sore/numb hands

Postby Duck! » Mon Apr 25, 2016 10:20 pm

Numbness of particular fingers suggests Carpal Tunnel syndrome, which is compression and inflammation of one of the major nerves that runs into the hand. It's usually the result of prolonged exposure to irritation, rather than sudden changes, so the fact you haven't adjusted anything on the bike could indicate possibly a poor hand posture on the bar for as long as you've had the bike/s.

Also look at things you do off the bike; repetitive stresses, vibrations etc through work & other things also contribute, and being on the bike is the final thing that makes it rear its head.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Dave_C

Postby Dave_C » Tue May 10, 2016 12:23 pm

As normal Duck is the wise.
M wife had the same issues - It was then diagnosed as carpel Tunnel. Bike fit with some major adjustments has improved this for her - as well as wearing a brace for a while to keep her hand at the right angle (not 90deg) and she didn't wear while riding. (she has been a typist for a period of a few years (not to give up age)
Dave
Dave

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue May 10, 2016 1:03 pm

Another view - did you change gloves recently?
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike