Medial Epicondylitis (Golfer's elbow)

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
alrsv1

Medial Epicondylitis (Golfer's elbow)

Postby alrsv1 » Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:35 am

Interested to hear from anyone who has had this, and more importantly managed to cure it.

I developed it on my right arm many, many years ago and i think it was caused by years of keyboard and mouse use. As well as being painful when working at the computer it also hurt when riding and drops were much worse that flat bar. I had tried a few different things, the usual:

forearm brace
massage
vertical mouse
cold/ heat
prp injections (where they take your blood, extract the plasma and inject to the affected ares to promote healing)

Can't say any of them really helped.

What I ended up doing was not riding for a long time and switching my mouse to my left hand. It's manageable but if want to I can make it flare up again.

I also used to ride motorbikes and this put an end to that.

Anyway about 3 weeks ago it started on my left arm and I'm sure you can see the problem. I don't have another arm to switch to.

I'm currently alternating whilst at work but my right is starting to hurt as well again, despite only riding 3 days in the last 3 weeks, and only for about 20 mins at a time. Not riding is possible but somewhat depressing, not working isn't really an option, so keen to hear about any success stories.

Cheers....

Al.
1997 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Frezoni MAX,
1992 Cannondale M2000, 201Pivot Mach5.5.

RoryAlexander

Re: Medial Epicondylitis (Golfer's elbow)

Postby RoryAlexander » Fri Jul 08, 2016 1:32 pm

Hi Al,

I am an Exercise Scientist at Kieser in South Melbourne. We've had numerous people present to us with Golfer's elbow, and have been able to treat quite effectively. Firstly, we identify exactly what is the problem, and then through our specifically engineered equipment, are able to rehabilitate the area that is injured. For example, we would treat, through manual therapy, and then rehab through pronation, supination, flexion and extension exercises. This is not your typical "theraband" exercises, these are specific machines that are designed to strengthen the area affected by injuries such as Golfers elbow.

Where are you situated?

I can organise you to come in for a NO GAP initial appointment.

Attached is some basic info on our Cycling program as well, if you are also a cyclist.

http://www.kieser.com.au/strength-train ... ms/cycling

Cheers,

Rory

alrsv1

Postby alrsv1 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 10:36 am

Thanks mate, PM'd.
1997 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Frezoni MAX,
1992 Cannondale M2000, 201Pivot Mach5.5.

DG1984

Postby DG1984 » Wed Jul 13, 2016 11:11 am

I'd start off by getting an ergonomic assessment at your workplace so that your desk and workspace are set up correctly. Solve the cause of the problem, and then treat the symptoms.

vander

Postby vander » Fri Jul 29, 2016 12:00 am

If your a Melbourne go here. http://physiosports.com.au/

The guy that runs the place Paul lectures and researches on Tendon pain (what golfers elbow is) and cycling. You will work it out there.