Not really cycling related but cycling could help

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Ross

Not really cycling related but cycling could help

Postby Ross » Thu Jul 28, 2016 6:45 pm

Working in the office is as bad as smoking, study finds
Office workers must exercise for an hour a day to combat the "deadly" risk of modern working life, a major study has found.

Sitting for at least eight hours a day could increase the risk of premature death by up to 60 per cent, the study of more than one million adults published in The Lancet found, with sedentary lifestyles now posing as great a threat to public health as smoking and causing more deaths than obesity.

Prof Ulf Ekelund, the lead scientist, from Cambridge University and the Norwegian School of Sports Sciences, said: "We found that at least one hour of physical activity per day, for example brisk walking or cycling 8) , eliminates the association between sitting time and death."
http://www.canberratimes.com.au/busines ... qfcjz.html

Gerry.M

Re: Not really cycling related but cycling could help

Postby Gerry.M » Fri Jul 29, 2016 7:22 am

Part of the reason I try to commute as often as I can. I like the work I do but I know it's not good sitting in front of a computer for 8hrs.
Thankfully the 2.5hrs of cycling each day seems to balance it out.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:53 am

It's hard to get people to do that though. Where I am, there are a few who ride (one who is in Division 1), and a few others who run, and one other who won a gold medal at the Olympics back in 2000 who is still quite fit.

Other than that, not many others.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:13 am

A sedentary job is the main reason I got back into commuting - it is an hour's exercise I wouldn't get otherwise. Of course it helps that I have end of trip facilities.
Anything you can do, I can do slower

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Jul 29, 2016 10:12 am

find_bruce wrote:A sedentary job is the main reason I got back into commuting - it is an hour's exercise I wouldn't get otherwise. Of course it helps that I have end of trip facilities.
We have okay facilities here too, but it means that other than me and our other resident racer and a few commuters, that's it. I can only put that down to lack of connected cycling infrastructure, and that the roads scare new riders.