Chocolate Milk is the Best Recovery Drink Thread.

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
TheWall

Chocolate Milk is the Best Recovery Drink Thread.

Postby TheWall » Tue Aug 09, 2016 9:54 pm

I am not sure the title needs any more explanation. Post and argue away to your hearts content boys and girls... :mrgreen:

Some articles to kick it off:

1. http://cyclingtips.com/2009/05/chocolat ... rts-drink/

2. https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyl ... ah-runners (this refers to cyclists as well)

Dreams V Reallity

Re: Chocolate Milk is the Best Recovery Drink Thread.

Postby Dreams V Reallity » Fri Aug 19, 2016 11:29 pm

Chocolate may be. But I prefer Banana or Strawberry. :wink:
D V R
Still Dreaming.

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Sat Aug 20, 2016 1:37 am

Oh yeah, a great big vat of choccy milk will bring me back from the edge after a big ride...

Although, mid ride, not such a good idea, learned that the hard way. Stupid me going for a ride with my flatmate years ago, he thought it was a good idea to stop mid ride for a Mcdonalds thick shake, I foolishly went alnong with it... oooooooh ugh terrible idea.

Also used to affect me badly in high school, couldn't figure out why I was getting these horrendous stitches when doing an after school 4-5km run... that 600ml choc milk at lunch. Took me an age to make the connection.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Rex

Postby Rex » Mon Aug 22, 2016 4:24 pm

Yep,
I always have a 600mL choc milk in the back fridge waiting for me when I roll up the garage door.
Yesterday did 180km's and it was the first thing I had.

Got me through the first hour.... then the slow crash began :)

defy1

Postby defy1 » Mon Aug 22, 2016 6:17 pm

I like a few up n gos or the cheaper aldi goldenvale version after a ride

TheShadow

Postby TheShadow » Mon Aug 22, 2016 9:06 pm

I've had reasonable recovery results with recovery meal consisting of 1 Dozen day-old scones washed down with sips of a large milk shake, although I must stress it HAS to be a milkshake from a real fish and chip shop, using real full-cream milk - not a 'Maccas' milkshake.

The only real "I'm not ever doing that again!" moment i've had with post-recovery meals was consuming a protein shake first thing upon getting home from a long hard ride. I almost fainted in the kitchen. Never tried that again.. :mrgreen:

digbyj

Postby digbyj » Mon Aug 22, 2016 10:11 pm

Can I ask a silly question? Does it have to be chocolate? Sounds like it's the additional sugar that's important so thinking any flavour will do?
Presuming also Milo would tick the box?
What about Nesquik?
I think any would work wouldn't they?

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Aug 23, 2016 6:51 am

digbyj wrote:Can I ask a silly question? Does it have to be chocolate? Sounds like it's the additional sugar that's important so thinking any flavour will do?
What about Nesquik?
It doesn't have to be any of the things mentioned in this thread. It's not some wonder supplement, rather mostly the result of poorly understood or deliberate misrepresentation of science used to generate click bait. It's more about the macronutrient mix than what specifically makes it up. And that assumes you are really in need of such recovery nutrition to begin with.

Here's some more helpful information:
http://www.ausport.gov.au/ais/nutrition ... _nutrition

Note this table with a range of examples:
Table 2 - Nutritious carbohydrate-protein recovery snacks (contain 50g CHO + valuable source of protein and micronutrients)

250-300ml liquid meal supplement
300g creamed rice
250-300ml milk shake or fruit smoothie
600ml low fat flavoured milk
1-2 sports bars (check labels for carbohydrate and protein content)
1 large bowl (2 cups) breakfast cereal with milk
1 large or 2 small cereal bars + 200g carton fruit-flavoured yoghurt
220g baked beans on 2 slices of toast
1 bread roll with cheese/meat filling + large banana
300g (bowl) fruit salad with 200g fruit-flavoured yoghurt
2 crumpets with thick spread peanut butter + 250ml glass of milk
300g (large) baked potato + cottage cheese filling + glass of milk

digbyj

Postby digbyj » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:20 am

Thanks for the response ^
I think most people would be aware of nutrition in general and that there are plenty of other options but chocolate milk is very convenient.
A great reference table provided though to give folk some other after workout options.

TheWall

Postby TheWall » Tue Aug 23, 2016 7:50 am

Hhmmmm... A very disturbing thing has happened in this thread...common sense seems to have broken through the the firewalls!!!

Can't we just keep it at half baked pseudoscience based opinions and argue for pages and pages like some other threads??? :roll: :mrgreen: :D

Constantheadwind

Postby Constantheadwind » Tue Aug 23, 2016 8:19 am

I wouldn't call it "common sense", rather, individual POV.

Alex Simmons/RST
Expert

Postby Alex Simmons/RST » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:02 am

digbyj wrote:but chocolate milk is very convenient.
yes, it's just not "the best". It's no better/worse than a bazillion other options.

TheShadow

Postby TheShadow » Tue Aug 23, 2016 9:19 am

digbyj wrote:Can I ask a silly question? Does it have to be chocolate? Sounds like it's the additional sugar that's important so thinking any flavour will do?
What about Nesquik?
It's the sugar (condensed carbs). I don't do the scones & milkshake thing anymore. I think it's a little nutritionally lacking, and it inevitably seemed to give me some sinus trouble. A cup of juice, dates (a large quantity just shy of inducing insulin shock - slightly sleepy), a comfortably fitting volume of Weetbix (some protein), a banana, sesame/sunflower seeds (bit more protein and fat) I suspect produce a similar energy content to the scones/milkshake meal, but with a few more vitamins and minerals.

SheikYerbouti

Postby SheikYerbouti » Tue Aug 23, 2016 10:52 am

TheWall wrote: Can't we just keep it at half baked pseudoscience based opinions and argue for pages and pages like some other threads??? :roll: :mrgreen: :D
If it helps me justify a big Mocha Dare after a big ride, I'm good with it. Mmmmmm

brawlo

Postby brawlo » Wed Aug 24, 2016 10:55 am

I went to WPI after having residual soreness last for full weeks. That fixed the issue. After I read some bad reports of prolonged WPI consumption I used up what I had and went on a search for a better recovery food/drink. Over the course of a year or so I tried chocolate milk, upping my protein consumption and many other methods. I tried spirulina (30g of it at once!) and that worked well, but the tasted almost made me want to cut my mouth out with a rusty spoon! I'm now back on pea protein immediately after a hard workout because it seems to be the only thing that does the job properly for me

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Aug 24, 2016 12:24 pm

With my lactose intolerance, downing a large choc milk would see me riding with wind assistance shortly after :D
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!