Knee pain!

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
mattcycles

Knee pain!

Postby mattcycles » Mon Aug 29, 2016 3:33 pm

Howdy people!

I am keen to get started cycling..my concern is does anyone ride with Hoffas syndrome or impingment and how does it go?

ValleyForge

Re: Knee pain!

Postby ValleyForge » Sat Sep 10, 2016 4:57 pm

Hi mattcycles & welcome.
I note no-one has picked up your challenge yet. How & who made the diagnosis? How much trouble does it cause day-to-day?
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

vander

Postby vander » Tue Sep 13, 2016 12:59 am

You do not go into full extension on the bike so as long as your fit and your technique is adequate I cant see it being a problem.

mattcycles

Postby mattcycles » Sun Sep 18, 2016 4:53 pm

ValleyForge wrote:Hi mattcycles & welcome.
I note no-one has picked up your challenge yet. How & who made the diagnosis? How much trouble does it cause day-to-day?

Hey mate! thank you!

This was picked up by the GP and confirmed with an MRI. I thought it was a torn meniscus but apparently its slight Hoffa's inflammation? Not sure what causes it..

caitymb

Postby caitymb » Mon Sep 19, 2016 9:13 am

Was it the result of a trauma to the knee? ie. falling on the knee or a hit to the knee? How long have you had it for?

mattcycles

Postby mattcycles » Sat Oct 01, 2016 9:33 am

caitymb wrote:Was it the result of a trauma to the knee? ie. falling on the knee or a hit to the knee? How long have you had it for?
About 5 years I have had it, got the injury from squatting many years ago.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sat Oct 01, 2016 10:33 am

Pardon me for being slightly dubious about the diagnosis. The pain syndrome of anterior knee pain post squatting is common and has a myriad of causes.
I'd suggest classical anterior knee pain strategies such as VMO exercises, maintaining a higher cadence thus avoiding grinding and lastly, keeping your saddle as high as comfortable.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

danny the boy

Postby danny the boy » Sun Oct 16, 2016 8:43 am

A physio told me I may have it, this was after he spent 3 months being obsessed with my ITB thinking it was causing knee pain. Make sure you get a professional bike fit, I dont have too many issues on my road bike, although I've never been properly diagnosed, I can get some pain mountain biking though mostly when landing jumps or occasionally when riding over rough surfaces.

mattcycles

Postby mattcycles » Sun Oct 16, 2016 5:58 pm

danny the boy wrote:A physio told me I may have it, this was after he spent 3 months being obsessed with my ITB thinking it was causing knee pain. Make sure you get a professional bike fit, I dont have too many issues on my road bike, although I've never been properly diagnosed, I can get some pain mountain biking though mostly when landing jumps or occasionally when riding over rough surfaces.
Every Phsyio thinks all knee pain is ITB issues. Doing anything to my ITB makes it flare up.