Blood pressure medication

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Harryjack

Blood pressure medication

Postby Harryjack » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:28 pm

Hi I'm new to this forum, I have recently been put on blood pressure medication, Lisinopril, is there anyone on here with experience with this drug. I have read some scary stories on other sites about side effects from this drug
Thanks in advance for any info....Tony

RonK

Re: Blood pressure medication

Postby RonK » Tue Oct 04, 2016 2:33 pm

I see others report a persistent cough. I had similar symptoms a couple of years ago after a change of medication but I don't remember if it was Lisinopril.

I didn't connect the cough with the new medication. But when I mentioned it to my GP she twigged straight away and switched me to Irbesartan.

This is so effective in the initial dosage my BP was too low after a ride so I'm now in the lowest dose available and my BP is spot in.

You should be discussing your concerns about it with your practitioner.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

GAV!N

Re: Blood pressure medication

Postby GAV!N » Mon Oct 17, 2016 6:48 pm

My mum had a persistent cough which she put down to her BP medication. I'm not sure what she was on though.

Can I ask what your average readings were prior to going on meds?

I also have high blood pressure (mostly genetic). Not rare to have readings in the 140-150/100-110. Had up to 160/110 on occasions. I've done a little research and found some are now saying there is little use for BP meds unless you're extremely high (up in the 180-200 kind of range).

I made a few diet changes and seem to have got mine down on average to 120's/70's which I'm pretty happy with.