Sitbone, hand and foot discomfort

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Carriage

Sitbone, hand and foot discomfort

Postby Carriage » Wed Oct 12, 2016 4:05 pm

I've been slowly working at getting into cycling and fitter and have started doing rides of around an hour and last night near the end of the ride I had a kind of hot discomfort in my hands, sitbones (I believe) and balls of my feet at the same time. If it was just one, I'd expect perhaps that I'm carrying too much load there due to a bad setup but given that it's in all of them perhaps I'm just still too heavy and/or not used to the time in the saddle? The discomfort went away after a bit of a break so I'm guessing that's the case.

Does anyone have any thoughts or experience?

silentC

Re: Sitbone, hand and foot discomfort

Postby silentC » Wed Oct 12, 2016 6:07 pm

Have had something like it in the balls of my feet and across the tops of my toes after a long ride, can't say I've had it anywhere else.

Most likely it's inflammation caused by lack of conditioning, but could be something else, so it might be worth having a chat to your GP about it if it continues. Might be a joint-related issue.

In my limited experience, bad bike fit is more likely to cause muscle or joint pain than burning sensations, but I suppose if excessive pressure is being placed on joints or nerves because of your position, it might cause things to flare up. For example hand numbness from having your wrists cocked putting pressure on the ulnar nerve.
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

Trevtassie

Postby Trevtassie » Wed Oct 12, 2016 8:51 pm

When you start doing longer rides you need to consider things like good gloves, better hand positioning, better seat and positioning and stiffer sole shoes. Floppy soled shoes on small pedals mean you have to keep your feet clenched, that's always gonna hurt after a while. Soft seats that feel ok on shorter rides start to hurt more than a hard one. Padded gloves can help with hand hot spots, but also consider handlebars that have more than one hand position.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Sat Oct 15, 2016 11:07 pm

Condition / conditioning potentially plays a role and you could test by doing rides of different durations and documenting your level of comfort at the end. I am guessing that it is affected by the fit / gear and at the start your body tolerates it and after a while starts to complain.

I suggest a professional bike fit - someone who can help help with your gear as well. They cost money but cyclists don't regret getting a proper bike fit.

With your position and weight distribution corrected, this relieves the touch points. A good bike fitter should also address your gear - for example, the insoles of your shoes and arch support.
Cycling is in my BNA