Got a tight hip flexor/psoas? How would you know?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
enduro2

Got a tight hip flexor/psoas? How would you know?

Postby enduro2 » Thu Nov 24, 2016 10:23 pm

Hi all,

What does it feel like? Just to the left or right of your bladder, but in front of your hip joint there is a constant dull ache. You might have your hip click in the front when getting out of the car or after leaning forward. Putting you pants on might be a tad difficult unless you twist your foot out to the side. You pelvis might even twist to one side little.

Consequences of not seeking treatment: permanent tendon and joint problems, loss of enjoyment of activity (namely cycling and sex. Only kidding about the last one!)

I've had a tight set, or one of the group of hip flexors for about 8mo now. The tight little bugger at one time twisted my lower back out of shape and was indirectly responsible for a lower back muscular injury I sustained while gardening. So in summary, I want to fix it up.

Over the last three weeks I've spent a visit every 7 days and committed to and escalating stretching and self massage regime that over the last 14 days has been twice a day. I've had some good improvement but need to get that last bit worked out as I feel the area is "locked up". By locked up I mean there are tight fibre areas in the muscle that will not stretch out that in my past experience need some deep tissue massage work.

My physio has been of good help, but was unable to exactly pin point the exact problem, but from my past experience with anatomy, my particular case etc I'm very sure it is the hip flexors.

So does anyone know a good sports massage therapist and sports physio in Perth, NOR, ideally in the Floreat/Joondalup/Scarborough zone that I could visit?

Just in case someone that has the same problem area, I have attached some links below to exercise and diagnoses:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_f ... human_body

https://experiencelife.com/article/smart-stretching/

http://spinlife.spinning.com/psoas-heal ... -cyclists/

Baalzamon

Re: Got a tight hip flexor/psoas? How would you know?

Postby Baalzamon » Fri Nov 25, 2016 8:40 am

Activate Physio. Ben
Whilst I don't have issues with my hip flexors yet. He has sorted out my feet and my golfers elbow which originated from my C5-C6 in my neck.
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

timr

Postby timr » Tue Feb 21, 2017 2:12 pm

It's a good move to try another Physio if your current guy can't identify the problem. Last year I saw two different Physios and one Chiro to find out what was causing the pain in my right hip.

The last Physio I saw at the end of the year was even specialized in Cycling. I told him I had a lot of clicking and pain in the front of my leg/hip. I asked if I should get an MRI. He said no and was confident my problem was tight hip flexors mixed with minor piriformis syndrome. He told me to get back onto the bike and gave me a few exercises/stretches. This was a misdiagnosis and as a result the problem got worse.

In the new year I found a new Chiro who also specialized in biomechanics and quality of movement. Right away he recommended an MRI and did a bunch of range of movement tests on me. Not just your standard squat test that all of them do. When I got the MRI back it revealed that I have a femoral acetabular impingement and a separated labrum in my right hip.

The hip is a complicated area. I did a ton of research online just like yourself. I found that stretching and massage helped me to some degree, but in end the pain always came back. If I could do it again I would get an MRI right away just to make sure there's nothing more serious happening that's causing those muscles to lock up like that.

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Feb 23, 2017 1:06 am

Consistent with the other responses, and while I have every confidence in my own good GP, I'd put a lot of faith in the physiotherapy profession for your sort of problem.

See a second Physio first.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle