Foot Numbness

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Velt

Foot Numbness

Postby Velt » Tue Jan 10, 2017 10:18 am

Hi Guys,

I'm having a lot of trouble with numbness in my feet, starts at about the half hour mark at my toes and then kind of spreads to the front of the foot. When I get off the bike and put my feet down the blood and feeling returns reasonably quickly. Is it my shoe? I run a shimano r321 in a 44. I've had my cletes professionally aligned.

Any advice?

biker jk

Re: Foot Numbness

Postby biker jk » Tue Jan 10, 2017 11:11 am

Assuming your shoes aren't too tight then one possibility is the plantar nerves being compressed due to a collapsed transverse arch. I had the same numbness for years but only in my left foot. Tried different footbeds to no avail. The fix was a metatarsal dome which is placed behind the metatarsal joints. No more numbness now.

Velt

Postby Velt » Tue Jan 10, 2017 2:24 pm

See a podiatrist then?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Tue Jan 10, 2017 3:21 pm

Velt wrote:See a podiatrist then?
Yes if they treat cyclists regularly. My bike fitter sorted me out.

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:33 pm

@biker jk - I asked my bike fitter if I had to use my orthotics in my shoes. His answer was a firm "no totally unnecessary!".
I really should take up cycling!

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Mon Jan 23, 2017 8:39 pm

Scott No Mates wrote:@biker jk - I asked my bike fitter if I had to use my orthotics in my shoes. His answer was a firm "no totally unnecessary!".
Do you mean your orthotics for your walking shoes in your cycling shoes? Who's your fitter?

Cardy George

Postby Cardy George » Tue Jan 24, 2017 11:21 pm

A friend of mine gave me a pair of custom heat mouldable shoes (he upgrades every year, mongrel :roll: ). Anyway, I haven't remoulded them to my feet yet so if I tighten the front two straps too much my toes go numb......

I had the insoles out to dry and noticed theres a pad glued to the bottom that sits right under the joints, inline with the ball of my foot, right where I feel the most pressure.

Might be worth a look before spending money on a podiatrist

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Wed Jan 25, 2017 5:33 pm

biker jk wrote:
Scott No Mates wrote:@biker jk - I asked my bike fitter if I had to use my orthotics in my shoes. His answer was a firm "no totally unnecessary!".
Do you mean your orthotics for your walking shoes in your cycling shoes? Who's your fitter?
It was the orthotics from my walking shoes but the guy at the LBS said they were unnecessary when riding. Would it have been as I was only getting back into cycling or that as the dynamics of using cleats would be different from walking stresses?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Wed Jan 25, 2017 6:00 pm

Scott No Mates wrote:
biker jk wrote:
It was the orthotics from my walking shoes but the guy at the LBS said they were unnecessary when riding. Would it have been as I was only getting back into cycling or that as the dynamics of using cleats would be different from walking stresses?
Cycling and walking produce different stresses on the feet. I don't need or use orthotics for walking but do for cycling. Are you having foot problems when cycling?

Scott No Mates

Postby Scott No Mates » Fri Jan 27, 2017 8:34 pm

@biker jk - I was having some numbness a couple of years ago but nothing since. I haven't tried fitting my orthotics into my cycling shoes - they are only 1/2 footbeds whereas I was putting these into my old skiboots. My new skiboots have custom-fitted footbeds.

Having recently broken tibia & fibula, will there be a significant difference in bone length requiring a thicker orthotic?