Warming up

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
bychosis

Warming up

Postby bychosis » Fri Jan 27, 2017 12:28 pm

I find that I am fairly well ready to ride after only a short while on the bike (a minute or so). Off down the road, and within half a km or so I have my regular pace and feel fine. If I'm in an endurance event I walk up to the start line and go. My regular riding buddy takes a dogs age to get going, like half and hour. So much so that he will ride a km or two before a race to 'warm up' or he suffers in the early stages.

I assume that different bodies adapt to exercise differently, but are there any ways to speed up the warm up process?
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

ft_critical

Re: Warming up

Postby ft_critical » Fri Jan 27, 2017 4:15 pm

I remember tearing off my derailleur en route to race, walking home, bike change, drive, sign on, immediate start and dropped in two laps.
I think the conventional wisdom for a race is 15 to 40 min with some intensity in the warm up. I don't think there is a short cut. The problem is always if someone drops the hammer from the get-go; smashing cold muscles is pain extraordinaire.
I have had the misfortune to ride to a race then stand around for 30 min and the experience the pain, I held on but it took 20 min for the pain to subside.

https://www.britishcycling.org.uk/knowl ... ing-Down-0

I read a better article somewhere but can't find it.

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:07 am

It takes me up to 20klms to get my legs moving, which sucks big time when I do a 10klm bike leg in a Tri, for the School team. :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

Tim

Postby Tim » Sat Jan 28, 2017 6:30 am

The older you get the longer it takes.
My rule of thumb is twenty minutes. If I'm feeling sore, tired or stiff, twenty kilometres.
I really ease into it most days. Though I seldom have to, speeding up the process is just a matter of increasing cadence more rapidly while staying in really small gears.
I recently discovered over-the-counter Voltaren. I use it less than once a week and on those occasions the warm up feels quicker and riding feels as good as it did 20 years ago. That's the trap. The Voltaren rides feel so good it's tempting to use it more often.
I don't want stomach ulcers or any of the litany of associated NSAID side effects.
Voltaren is a last resort but also quite a treat (and threat, to health).

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Sat Jan 28, 2017 10:19 am

bychosis wrote:I find that I am fairly well ready to ride after only a short while on the bike (a minute or so). Off down the road, and within half a km or so I have my regular pace and feel fine. If I'm in an endurance event I walk up to the start line and go. My regular riding buddy takes a dogs age to get going, like half and hour. So much so that he will ride a km or two before a race to 'warm up' or he suffers in the early stages.

I assume that different bodies adapt to exercise differently, but are there any ways to speed up the warm up process?
Try this method:

Ignore the watts, adapt to your own abilities. Sigh, mid Z2 at 290w... Damn...