After a Crash - Beware

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
NewStew

After a Crash - Beware

Postby NewStew » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:21 am

I was involved in a crash two weeks ago where I was right hooked by a car and fairly solidly taken out. Amazingly even thought the bike is toast and there was a whole lot of damage to the car I came up with just a hell of a lot of bruising and some seriously sore ribs. BUT a week after the accident my calf on one side (the side that impacted the car) swelled up like a balloon and went a red as hell after a day at my desk in the office. At the time I wasn't too worried about it and the next day it was marginally better but a doctor who was talking to my partner suggested I should get it checked out as it could be a deep vein thrombosis (DVT). Well after blood tests, leg x-rays and then an ultrasound it turns out that I do indeed have a DVT in my lower leg.

I have previously never heard of, or thought of, the possibility of getting a DVT from an accident but it could have some serious complications if ignored so perhaps spread the word to be on the look out for the symptoms if you or anyone you know is in a more serious crash.

CKinnard

Re: After a Crash - Beware

Postby CKinnard » Mon Feb 13, 2017 11:36 am

The hint is in the "hell of a lot of bruising".

Whenever you get that, it is best practice to apply ice for 2-3 days, then alternating ice and heat for 3-5 days, then heat alone. For very severe muscle damage, these times may extend.

Keep the blood moving via light exercise every 2 hours. When to start massage depends on how bad it is. From day 2 post injury, it can be beneficial around but not over the bruising, very lightly to facilitate lymphatic and vascular drainage.

These things are compounded by a history of poor diet and hydration and long periods of not moving much, especially with legs down. It is also important to keep your diet lower in fat and stay well hydrated when you are carrying injuries like this. After eating high fat meals your blood is more viscous and therefore more prone to slow transition through damaged tissue, ergo stasis, and consequent embolus formation which is how DVTs start. Eating higher levels of vegetables will help to keep the blood healthier, especially dark green leafys.

Don't rely on your GP to tell you this, but it is in the literature and common practice in elite sporting injuries.

mikeyg63

Re: After a Crash - Beware

Postby mikeyg63 » Mon Feb 13, 2017 4:53 pm

NewStew wrote:I was involved in a crash two weeks ago where I was right hooked by a car and fairly solidly taken out. Amazingly even thought the bike is toast and there was a whole lot of damage to the car I came up with just a hell of a lot of bruising and some seriously sore ribs. BUT a week after the accident my calf on one side (the side that impacted the car) swelled up like a balloon and went a red as hell after a day at my desk in the office. At the time I wasn't too worried about it and the next day it was marginally better but a doctor who was talking to my partner suggested I should get it checked out as it could be a deep vein thrombosis (DVT). Well after blood tests, leg x-rays and then an ultrasound it turns out that I do indeed have a DVT in my lower leg.

I have previously never heard of, or thought of, the possibility of getting a DVT from an accident but it could have some serious complications if ignored so perhaps spread the word to be on the look out for the symptoms if you or anyone you know is in a more serious crash.
Good reminder there NewStew. Glad that you're not too badly damaged.