Hand pain

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
shouldnobetter

Hand pain

Postby shouldnobetter » Thu Jul 27, 2017 11:08 pm

Hi.

I suffer a bit from painful hands these days which seems to be mostly due to a little arthritis. It seemed to get worse when I put thicker grips on my MTB then let the gear changes get stiff so that I had to give the levers a good push with my thumb to change gear. I've fixed those things now but still have some pain.

I'm thinking of getting a new road bike and was wondering if going to one with DI2 would help minimise the pain by requiring less effort to change gears than having a mechanical shift. I've never ridden a modern bike with Ultegra or 105, so don't know how effortless their changes are, but the idea of almost just touching the trigger to make the change seems like it could help. Is there much difference?

robbo mcs

Re: Hand pain

Postby robbo mcs » Fri Jul 28, 2017 6:05 am

One of the complaints some people have with DI2 is the lack of feel with the gear changes, more like pressing a computer button than a lever. I personallay like it.

However, I think there is some variation between different versions / spec levels of DI2, and notice in the latest versions one of the upgrades is in the "feel" of changes.

If you do have hand problems one of the big advantages of DI2 is you can program any switch to perform any function, and you can also program sequential sifting. So if you like you can do all the shifting with one hand, program it so you only need the front or rear levers etc. Also, you can add additional buttons elsewhere, eg on the flats etc.

One thing of note, you say the problem is with your thimb, which you use for shifting with trigger shifts on flat barss. With sti dropbars the shifts are all done with the fingers, both manual and di2

Janice

Postby Janice » Fri May 29, 2020 5:34 pm

I have pain in my right thumb from shifting gears on my flat bar road bike. I had the genius idea of turning the gear levers upside down so the thumb does the easier job of going up a gear. Now that I have read the first post maybe it is a stiff derailleur. Doh.

RonK

Postby RonK » Sat May 30, 2020 9:31 pm

Moving to a drop bar bike - which offers multiple hand positions is likely to make a big difference.
The only time I suffered cyclist's palsy was when I toured on a flat bar. It took as month to recover. That was the first and last time I used a flat bar to tour.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sat May 30, 2020 11:21 pm

If other solutions do not appeal then think outside the box.

When my left elbow went and the wrists not far behind I swapped.

I retrieved the unicycle from the shed. No handlebars. No more problem.

Hmmm, maybe a little too far outside the box. :?
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun May 31, 2020 4:46 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:
Sat May 30, 2020 11:21 pm
If other solutions do not appeal then think outside the box.

When my left elbow went and the wrists not far behind I swapped.

I retrieved the unicycle from the shed. No handlebars. No more problem.

Hmmm, maybe a little too far outside the box. :?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

foo on patrol

Postby foo on patrol » Sun May 31, 2020 4:49 am

When riding any of my flat bar bikes = 29ers SS or Soho, I will rest on top of the bars and brake lever sometimes, if my hands start to get sore and also open and clench hands a few times every so often. :idea:

Foo
I don't suffer fools easily and so long as you have done your best,you should have no regrets.
Goal 6000km

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Sun May 31, 2020 1:54 pm

It is a pretty well known idea in golf, that the person with arthritis fits oversized grips to their clubs. Also work on a lighter grip.

I reckon the easing off on the grip and relaxing the arms might make a difference.

That also applies to playing a guitar where strangling the neck to achieve clear chords can be very painful to beginners. Of course every one is different. :)
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Sun May 31, 2020 11:54 pm

outnabike wrote:
Sun May 31, 2020 1:54 pm

I reckon the easing off on the grip and relaxing the arms might make a difference.
It is so easy to say relax but it usually ellicits the opposite reaction. :?

Early in my squash career I started to suffer from pain in the ulnar and some tendons in my elbow. It was suggested strongly that it was the hours of squash training and drills and that I had to learn to relax the grip.

I fitted a strap similar to the link below. I would fit it around the lower arm up near the elbow and tighten it for a little pressure. Any extra pressure would just the smallest discofort. A month of using it on court I gradually relaxed the grip. End of problem.

Even i fthe pain youare feeling is not in the elbow, it may still be worth trying to reduce your grip a little and the strap willmake it easier to do so.

Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Wed Jul 15, 2020 7:11 am

Di2 and electronic shifting will take off pressure... though it is probably shifting at the front where the effort in mecganical gears is needed.

An idea is 1x - so a single chainring at the front and good gear range at the back. Rear derailleuf shifting is, in my view, easier so that is another alternative.

For road bikes, consider the bar tapr... some riders prefer thin tape and others nay double-wrap to get the feel and comfort they need.
Cycling is in my BNA