Sudden Weight Gain

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
ft_critical

Sudden Weight Gain

Postby ft_critical » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:04 pm

I weigh myself each day. Last week I was 73.2 each day. Suddenly, overnight (literally) I gained 1kg exactly.

Any thoughts on this?

trailgumby

Re: Sudden Weight Gain

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 19, 2017 8:43 pm

Same daily routine? When I weigh myself I always do it in my birthday suit*, after the first visit to the bathroom and before I eat,in order to ensure consistency.

So assuming the answer is yes and you haven't stuffed yourself overfull at a recent family occasion, could it be fluid retention? Batteries going flat?

*Yeah, sorry, TMI :P

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:05 pm

Yep, same routine. It has happened before once or twice. I don't feel it is fluid retention though that is a good thought. I can usually find the fluid in my shins or ankles when I have fluid retention.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Sat Aug 19, 2017 9:55 pm

Are the scales getting low in battery (if they have batteries)?
Scales faulty?
You might be eating the same food, but did you eat it later than usual?

Or...you're just getting fat! :P :lol:

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sun Aug 20, 2017 8:58 am

Nobody wrote:Are the scales getting low in battery (if they have batteries)?
Scales faulty?
You might be eating the same food, but did you eat it later than usual?

Or...you're just getting fat! :P :lol:
I think I am building muscle but maybe I am dreaming. I did a very hard block late last week including the weekend, then went into a rest phase. During the rest phase
, which includes light riding, I can't really sleep well due to the aching in my legs. Not that smashed feeling, just seriously aching. But 1 kg is a lot overnight, that is why I wonder?

Baalzamon

Postby Baalzamon » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:05 am

Nah 1kg over night is nothing. Try 2kg or 3kg. It can happen. Better off ditching the scales and using a tape measure. They don't lie
Masi Speciale CX 2008 - Brooks B17 special saddle, Garmin Edge 810

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Sun Aug 20, 2017 9:17 am

Baalzamon wrote:Nah 1kg over night is nothing. Try 2kg or 3kg. It can happen. Better off ditching the scales and using a tape measure. They don't lie
I thought this myself, wow, 3kg! I assume that it be fat, water, muscle or a combo of all three.

brumby33

Postby brumby33 » Sun Aug 20, 2017 10:48 am

Pending on scales, I don't always think they are 100% accurate and tend to vary but it could also have something to do where the scales are sitting, uneven floor etc...do you move them to weigh yourself or are they always in a same spot. I usually vary around and up to 2 kilo with mine.
When you weigh yourself, do you do it in multiples of 3 times each, often get different readings?
I know mine have been threatened multiple times :lol:

cheers

brumby33
"ya gotta hold ya mouth right"

VWR Patagonia 2017
2003 Diamondback Sorrento Sport MTB

PA

Postby PA » Sun Aug 20, 2017 1:09 pm

Baalzamon wrote:Nah 1kg over night is nothing. Try 2kg or 3kg. It can happen. Better off ditching the scales and using a tape measure. They don't lie
Mouse magnet

madmacca

Postby madmacca » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:24 pm

ft_critical wrote:I weigh myself each day. Last week I was 73.2 each day. Suddenly, overnight (literally) I gained 1kg exactly.

Any thoughts on this?
A salty meal on Friday or Saturday night??? Salt = fluid retention (at least until you can flush it from the system).

mikesbytes
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby mikesbytes » Sun Aug 20, 2017 2:58 pm

I use to weigh myself at the gym Thursday evening and Friday morning and I was consistently 1.5kg heavier on Friday morning. Blame the scales or blame hydration or both? :)
If the R-1 rule is broken, what happens to N+1?

Strawburger

Postby Strawburger » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:13 pm

I wouldn't worry too much. I think it's remarkable that you remain in such a steady weight! There are so many factors that could influence weight gain or loss, I've given up trying to maintain an exact weight. "Around about Xkg" is good enough for me these days.

Here's mine on a daily basis. Same proceedure every morning. Swing of around 3kg from peak to trough in this graph, over the last 90 days.
n=10 (2013 & 2004 roads,2010 track,2x 2009 foldups,1990 hybrid,1992 trainer,2007 rental,1970's step through,1980's zeus)

Neddysmith

Postby Neddysmith » Mon Aug 21, 2017 1:21 pm

Yeah 1kg overnight i dont think is anything to worry about, leave it a day or so and weigh yourself again, or leave it a week.

My weight stays pretty constant but i know if i have a big weekend on the turps and food i can weigh in maybe 3kg heavier on monday, but usually by weds or thurs i am back to roughly the same weight as the previous week.

march83

Postby march83 » Mon Aug 21, 2017 2:12 pm

lol, smart digital scales are great because they let me see the ridiculousness of individual weigh ins. Yesterday = 81.1. Today = 83.6. Yes, last night's dinner was delicious, as was dessert, as was 2nd dessert... It's a recurring theme, happens all the time...

If you must weigh every day, keep a rolling average because random discrepancies happen all the time and they are very rarely motivating - 1 random low weigh in is always accompanied by a rebound, and high weigh ins are inevitable.

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Mon Aug 21, 2017 5:48 pm

:D Right thanks got it. Thanks for the graph Strawburger - good to know that there is no uncharted territory in your training plan :D

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Aug 21, 2017 8:02 pm

Just a few things that might be of interest:

Day to day fluctuations of 5% are very normal. This is due almost entirely water shifts - maybe 200g of pooh, assuming you weigh with bladder empty. Unless you have significant renal failure, a salt load will not cause you to gain weight on its own. Neither will solid food, unless it is truly massive. At worst a 400g steak will gain you 275g or so by 24hrs.

Next is fat gain which you can measure in weeks. Fat cells take up circulating lipids from the bloodstream so weight gain with fat can be relatively quick.

Last is weight gain from muscle. Each muscle cell needs to synthesise new proteins in response to stress and this takes weeks to achieve. Muscle does become more "water-logged" if heavily exercised; it does this in response to injury. Also such exercise at this level will stimulate your kidneys to increase your plasma volume by holding back chiefly sodium & chloride from your urine. The water then follows into your circulation.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:18 pm

<last post approved - benefit of the doubt>

update... was a spammer so a spam post was deleted and user banned.
Cycling is in my BNA

ft_critical

Postby ft_critical » Tue Aug 22, 2017 8:43 am

Thanks @ValleyForge, nice to get some technical background to support the anecdotal evidence

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Tue Aug 22, 2017 12:09 pm

Ta. Our physiology works really hard to look after the concentrations of a number of salts in our body water pool. It cares a lot less about the absolute amount.

And then some household things will alter your weight. Coffee obviously, tea less so, protein loads and calcium supplements all act as mild diuretics. Sleep deprivation, NSAIDs (Nurofen), codeine and some anti depressants can do the reverse. And then there are the street drugs.....
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

jules21

Postby jules21 » Tue Sep 26, 2017 11:10 am

yeah, +/- 1kg variation overnight is normal.

bowel movement patterns seem to have a big impact, as does hydration level variations.