Post Flu Training (for Round the Bay)

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Newcastle Dave

Post Flu Training (for Round the Bay)

Postby Newcastle Dave » Mon Aug 21, 2017 11:41 am

So a week ago last Saturday I did a 100k ride, bit shorter than what I was hoping for but was feeling a little tired. I put it down to having the week off while I was in NZ.
Unfortunately by 2:00 am Sunday I was having fever and chills and had full blown flu

I am 90% recovered but have a horrible lingering cough and feel very weak.

My question is around when I should start back training (its not long until the Round the Bay).
I was planning doing some short trainer rides in the next few days, and then hopefully a real ride next weekend. Am I likely to slow my flu recovery but hitting the bike ? (Speed it up maybe) ?

ValleyForge

Re: Post Flu Training (for Round the Bay)

Postby ValleyForge » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:55 pm

You'll neither speed up nor slow down your recovery. For the Round The Bay ride, miles would be the more important at this stage.

I'd hit the trainer & see how you pull up breathing wise. If all is good, then crack on to longer rides. If it falls over, well better to know now.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

Derny Driver

Re: Post Flu Training (for Round the Bay)

Postby Derny Driver » Mon Aug 21, 2017 10:59 pm

Make your rides low heart rate stuff, distance wont matter but keep the heart rate down.