BNA Losers Club 2018

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Nobody

Re: BNA Losers Club 2018

Postby Nobody » Mon Mar 05, 2018 10:06 am

7 days since last post.

Waist 77 cm - up 0.5
WHtR 0.445

64.9 kg - same
BMI 21.7

Goals:
Waist 76cm
Weight 64 kg

Surprisingly stable over the last few months, but something is going to have to change if I'm going to lose that kg. I may fail to get to the waist size goal as even at 64 kg my waist will probably be bigger than 75 cm. So I'll change it to a realistic 76.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Mon Mar 05, 2018 11:12 am

Nobody wrote:Surprisingly stable over the last few months, but something is going to have to change if I'm going to lose that kg. I may fail to get to the waist size goal as even at 64 kg my waist will probably be bigger than 75 cm. So I'll change it to a realistic 76.
waist circumference is a combo of factors in addition to visceral fat.
As you get older, your spinal disc heights reduce, and posture suffers from that and weaker spinal stability musculature.
This has the effect of jamming all your viscera into a less tall abdominal/pelvic compartment, hence it tends to bulge further.

Nevertheless don't give up hope! Fat comes off according to "first on, last off". And the first excessive fat stored in men is in and around the viscera. Stress states involving chronically higher levels of cortisol facilitate this. So to get visceral fat off, ime it helps heaps to focus on a more relaxed and optimistic head space (to counter insulin and help adrenalin and testosterone), do a little resistance work even if for the legs and arms (testosterone), early nights and mornings (biorhythms and pro-active mindset). For abdominal and core muscle tone, pushups and hanging knee raises. Walking and jogging also seems to be more efficient at targeting visceral fat. I suspect the repetitive jarring through the body with each heel strike, and the less hypervigilant mindset (compared to cycling) results in less blood being shunted away from the viscera (blood flow being critical to carry hormones to visceral fat to signal to release fatty acids).

b4igo

Postby b4igo » Mon Mar 05, 2018 7:51 pm

Thanks for posting this thread nobody! It is certainly an eye opener. Having had a very busy 2 year of project work, my health definitely suffered during that time. I tipped the scales at 90kg at the start of this year, and that was the point I decided enough is enough. This year I have been walking more, sometimes 4 times a week for an hour, and finally got back on the bike several weeks ago after 5 or 6 years. So I’ve set a cycling goal to get back to riding metric centuries like I was back in Uni. So far I’ve only lost a little bit of weight, but I am feeling better from the increase in exercise.

Having come across this thread just today, I took some measurements...

Height: 178cm
Waist: 106cm eek
WHtR: 0.60 double eek

Clearly a wake up call!

Get back in the green zone!!! Which will mean a waist of around 80cm. I’d like to be under 80kg as my first goal though, and eventually somewhere mid 70’s I think, but will have to do some more reading of your first post and links to see what a more appropriate weight is.

.... perhaps I should also buy some scales :?

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Mar 07, 2018 10:48 pm

b4igo wrote:Thanks for posting this thread nobody! It is certainly an eye opener.
You're welcome. :)
I hope it continues to help. If only to keep the issue "front of mind", which regular posting in this thread can do.
b4igo wrote:.... perhaps I should also buy some scales :?
Digital scales are probably a good idea. Just keep in mind that hydration levels are going to play a big part in weight fluctuations.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:02 am

I remember reading somewhere that people who own and use a set of bathroom scales lose more weight than those who don't. It was from a properly researched study - but I can't remember the details.

On hydration levels - I am at my lightest when I come home after a long morning group ride. I am usually 1.0 - 1.5kg lighter than usual.

kb

Postby kb » Thu Mar 08, 2018 12:55 pm

RobertL wrote:I remember reading somewhere that people who own and use a set of bathroom scales lose more weight than those who don't. It was from a properly researched study - but I can't remember the details.
That’s what I’m doing wrong - using bedroom scales instead ;-)

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Mar 08, 2018 4:44 pm

RobertL wrote:I remember reading somewhere that people who own and use a set of bathroom scales lose more weight than those who don't. It was from a properly researched study - but I can't remember the details.
Probably the initial post. At least you had a go at trying to read it. :)

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Thu Mar 08, 2018 10:24 pm

warthog1 wrote:
nemo57 wrote: You don't need me to tell you how hideous rotating shift work is. Melatonin doesn't require prescription in the US, and you can import it from there without trouble - at least that's my wife's experience.
Available from iherb.com (she says they're usually the cheapest) or vitaminshoppe.com
Thanks again Nemo :)
I got my order from iherb the other day. Fast turnaround and good service.
I have had 3mg melatonin capsules twice.
They definitely help you get off to sleep.
I feel I should have got the sustained release tablets however.
The circadin you need a prescription for here is a slow release formulation.
The first time I used them out like a light but woke for a p1ss at 0200 and had trouble getting to sleep again.
I may order some more. Cheap enough.
Yer welcome! Hope it continues to help.

g-boaf

Postby g-boaf » Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:58 am

I'm staying steady at around 61kg at the moment.

These last two weeks I've ridden less- long travel times to work and some long days have made me really fatigued, lost some motivation too.

I've done three trainer rides this week though.

Trying to get below that is proving difficult at the moment, I just don't have enough time to do the kilometres needed to make it happen.

fergy1987

Postby fergy1987 » Fri Mar 09, 2018 10:04 am

Following this thread with interest!

I recently started using my cycling to lose some kgs when I started noticing all my pants were starting to not fit. I am the type of person who refuses to buy larger pants when the waist doesn't fit because I feel like that isn't helping the situation and would rather sit there suffering with ill fitting pants.

Been riding most mornings and have tried to cut out all the junk food. I was a sucker for some ice cream...or cheesecake....or a snickers....or yeah just garbage :P Ive been working with a diet of basically some form of protein and salad for dinners, cut out any meal with creams etc (no more curries or carbonaras) then just snacking during the day and leftovers for lunch usually with a smoothie for breakfast (milk, 1 weetbix, peanut butter, banana, protein powder, LSA mix and some frozen berries)

So far I am down 4kg and pretty chuffed with myself because commitment to these types of things are not usually my thing because I end up just thinking its too hard and ditch it. Needless to say I am getting back into my pants slowly :P

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Mon Mar 12, 2018 1:36 pm

Nobody wrote:
Probably the initial post. At least you had a go at trying to read it. :)
I have shamed myself... :oops:

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:51 am

fergy1987 wrote:I recently started using my cycling to lose some kgs when I started noticing all my pants were starting to not fit. I am the type of person who refuses to buy larger pants when the waist doesn't fit because I feel like that isn't helping the situation and would rather sit there suffering with ill fitting pants.
I rarely wear long pants and have always owned just a single pair of jeans at any one time, usually lasting me close to decade (or until the wife has finally had enough and forces me to buy a more fashionable pair). The ones I have now started to get more and more snug until after a year or so of squeezing into them I simply couldn't wear them anymore. I thereafter took up cycling in 2014 and now they are absolutely swimming on me (they're almost too big to wear even with a belt!)
fergy1987 wrote:Been riding most mornings and have tried to cut out all the junk food.
Plenty of more knowledgeable folks than me on this thread and reading back you'll see that exercise is only part of the equation. In my experience, exercise had a much more significant impact in the early days but as your body adjusts to the workload it starts becoming more and more about diet.
fergy1987 wrote:So far I am down 4kg and pretty chuffed with myself because commitment to these types of things are not usually my thing because I end up just thinking its too hard and ditch it. Needless to say I am getting back into my pants slowly :P
Good work! I've had a few stumbles along the way myself since 2014, particularly the latter half of last year. However I'm now back on track and focused on the diet side of things and enjoying my riding even more. For me personally, I treat my diet like a budget. I don't cut anything out altogether, but rather 'schedule' small indulgences periodically. Otherwise it does get too hard and once you transgress, you figure you've already failed and the downward spiral begins.
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:59 am

RobertL wrote:On hydration levels - I am at my lightest when I come home after a long morning group ride. I am usually 1.0 - 1.5kg lighter than usual.
This morning I weighed myself just before an hour-long ride on the trainer. I drank roughly 500mL (0.5kg) of water during the ride, and weighed 1kg less after the ride. So I lost 1.5kg in sweat in an hour!

I generally weigh myself after most rides purely for curiosity's sake. There have been times when I've weighed over 2kg less than before the ride.

But my 'official' weight for the day is recorded in the morning, before breakfast. And I've seen some pretty dramatic day-to-day fluctuations along the way. Realistically, you need to look at the trend rather than picking one measurement on one specific day.
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Mar 19, 2018 8:18 am

14 days since last post.

Waist 77 cm - same
WHtR 0.445

63.9 kg - down 1.0
BMI 21.6

Goals:
Waist 76cm
Weight 64 kg

My weight loss may be largely hydration since my waist is the same. Time will tell.
I've changed my nominal height from 173 to 172 (age shrinkage) so that is now reflected in BMI.

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Wed Mar 28, 2018 3:27 pm

Patt0 wrote:

5 Jan

Height=183cm
WtHtr = 0.44
Weight=80kg
Waist= 79cm

My goal, steady 75kg.

Plan, restrict and suffer this month and find equilibrium after I reach 74kg.
Height=183cm
WtHtr = 0.44
Weight=80kg
Waist= 78cm

well still the same weight, but have lost a cm off waist. On holidays for a few weeks. Traditionally not a good time for me to diet.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Fri Mar 30, 2018 8:21 am

March check-in (a few days early as I'm going away for Easter in a few hours)!

Started this journey mid-2014 at 114.5kg.

As of 2018:
12/2017: Weight=95kg
01/2017: Weight=94.1kg, WtHR=0.55, BMI=29.7
02/2017: Weight=93.2kg, WtHR=0.55, BMI=29.41

Mar 30th:
Weight = 91.0kg (-2.2kg)
WtHR = 95.5/178 = 0.54 (-2.5cm) (consider action)
BMI = 91.0/(1.78^2) = 28.72 (overweight)

A good month! Was surprised to see such an improvement in my waist measurement; had to measure it 3 or 4 times to be sure. But I have been better with the sugar intake this month.

Sometimes I think that watching the weight come off is like watching paint dry. But I have to remember that it's actually better to come off slowly. Plus I am on track for my yearly goal. And I can see that I am putting on muscle now that I have resumed weight training.

I don't think my BMI is ever going to be considered "normal"; I'd have to get down to 79kg and I can't see that happening. But that doesn't really concern me as I know the shortcomings of the BMI calculation.
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Fri Mar 30, 2018 11:19 am

tcdev wrote:I don't think my BMI is ever going to be considered "normal"; I'd have to get down to 79kg and I can't see that happening. But that doesn't really concern me as I know the shortcomings of the BMI calculation.
For people like you and me, it appears that exercise won't make a huge difference over the long term to weight and waist. People like us need to concentrate more on diet. So if your diet is what is considered normal these days (even a healthy version) then you should only expect a normal outcome which is BMI 27 in AU.

WHtR has fewer shortcomings, which has a healthy range for a man according to Wiki of 0.43 to 0.52 with the middle of that being 0.475. As the link also shows, that people who lift have thicker waists. Something I've noticed since I've been doing more dead lifting is my waist doesn't get below 0.44 as easily. Even though my BMI is below 22.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Fri Mar 30, 2018 12:09 pm

I now weigh the same as 1/1/18....but have kicked a regular alcohol habit.
I lost 4kg up to mid Feb, but with a mad work schedule have it all back on since.
Ah well, no one else to blame.

I built up to 3-4 bottles of wine (no other alcohol) a week by December last year.
Not heavy by many people's standards, but a tad less than 4 standard alcoholic drinks a day....and as one ages, it gets harder to hide those Calories or the toxic effects on brain and other vital organs.

I have to say I am not bothered by alcohol cravings whatsoever now, even when totally tapped out after a busy few days.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:15 am

Nobody wrote:WHtR has fewer shortcomings, which has a healthy range for a man according to Wiki of 0.43 to 0.52 with the middle of that being 0.475. As the link also shows, that people who lift have thicker waists. Something I've noticed since I've been doing more dead lifting is my waist doesn't get below 0.44 as easily. Even though my BMI is below 22.
Thanks for the info! And yes, I'm taking more notice of WtHR than BMI as per your advice over recent years in these threads. Ultimately, numbers aside, I think the mirror tells the best story anyway.

And as I've said in previous posts this year, I am focusing more on diet these days. From here-on in, the wins are going to be hard-fought and the exercise is more for fun and fitness than shedding the excess kg. I'm happy with the way the year has gone thus far, and would expect the losses to continue for a while yet without changing much of what I'm doing right now. When I get to 85kg I'll reevaluate, again, my strategy.
2021 Giant Contend AR1

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Tue Apr 03, 2018 10:24 am

CKinnard wrote:I now weigh the same as 1/1/18....but have kicked a regular alcohol habit.
(snip)
I built up to 3-4 bottles of wine (no other alcohol) a week by December last year.
I've recently been limiting my alcohol (beer and spirits) to 3 nights/week (Fri-Sun). In previous years I was drinking beer with dinner every night, although my spirits were usually always restricted to Fri-Sun. Now I'll occasionally have one glass of red during the week if we have red meat (which isn't often) or pasta, otherwise I'll abstain.

I've made other changes to my diet at the same time so I can't really say whether or not the reduced alcohol intake has had any effect on my weight loss.

As much as I enjoy that first Friday night beer, I wouldn't say that I crave alcohol either. It's not too difficult to abstain.
2021 Giant Contend AR1

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Tue Apr 03, 2018 7:51 pm

tcdev wrote: I've recently been limiting my alcohol (beer and spirits) to 3 nights/week (Fri-Sun). In previous years I was drinking beer with dinner every night, although my spirits were usually always restricted to Fri-Sun. Now I'll occasionally have one glass of red during the week if we have red meat (which isn't often) or pasta, otherwise I'll abstain.

I've made other changes to my diet at the same time so I can't really say whether or not the reduced alcohol intake has had any effect on my weight loss.

As much as I enjoy that first Friday night beer, I wouldn't say that I crave alcohol either. It's not too difficult to abstain.
No doubt you have a more balanced metabolic disposition than me.
I'd love to be able to enjoy one glass of wine, but I enjoy it too much to stop at one.
Anyway, as I say, I don't even think of alcohol now. Don't miss it. Am not tempted when it is offered. Can enjoy sitting among drinking friends and not desire it.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Thu Apr 05, 2018 8:06 am

17 days since last post.

Waist 76 cm - down 1
WHtR 0.442

64.3 kg - Up 0.4
BMI 21.7

Goals:
Waist 76 cm
Weight 64 kg

Looks like my last loss of 1 kg was largely hydration (of 0.6 kg) as suspected.
My reduced nominal height of 172 (age shrinkage) is now reflected in both WHtR and BMI.

I agree that the mirror tells the best story. But the numbers can be useful to help convince those who are more delusional about how they look in the mirror. Especially men. Although IMO what is considered normal for body weight has changed vastly since the '80s. When I watch a recent edition of the show "Bondi Rescue" I was surprised how heavy the average woman was that chooses to wear a bikini these days. Also the lifeguards on average are not really lean either considering they have an active job and are supposed to be trained to a high aerobic fitness level. I think I look OK in the mirror (especially for 50 yo), but my wife who is borderline obese thinks I'm too skinny.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Thu Apr 05, 2018 4:49 pm

Nobody wrote:I agree that the mirror tells the best story. But the numbers can be useful to help convince those who are more delusional about how they look in the mirror. Especially men. Although IMO what is considered normal for body weight has changed vastly since the '80s. When I watch a recent edition of the show "Bondi Rescue" I was surprised how heavy the average woman was that chooses to wear a bikini these days. Also the lifeguards on average are not really lean either considering they have an active job and are supposed to be trained to a high aerobic fitness level. I think I look OK in the mirror (especially for 50 yo), but my wife who is borderline obese thinks I'm too skinny.
Agreed, especially as it tends to creep up on you slowly and you tend not to notice the extra weight accumulating over time!

At my heaviest, 114.5kg, I could see and feel that it was indeed time to take action. But leading up to that, at perhaps 110kg, I was clearly in denial. Sure I thought I could probably lose a few kg, but I thought to myself that I wasn't that overweight. In fact when a doctor told me around 110kg that I was "quite a large boy" I actually took a bit of offense to it. The power of self-deception!

Now at ~91kg I look and feel completely different at some 23kg lighter. In that time I've gone from wearing (IIRC) 44" pants to, in theory at least, 38" (I seem to recall in my youth I was wearing 34" pants). Yet even now I look in the mirror and think I could stand to lose more weight, mostly around the mid-section. And indeed my next goal is 89.5kg (25kg loss), then hopefully 85kg (or 84.5 - 30kg loss) by year end.

It will be a somewhat sobering realisation - if and when I get there - that at some point in the past I thought I was no more than "slightly overweight" and then lose 30kg and still want to lose more!!! :oops:
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Patt0

Postby Patt0 » Sat Apr 07, 2018 8:51 pm

Nobody wrote: I agree that the mirror tells the best story.
https://instagram.com/p/BhOq9kilnG7/

Taken yesterday. I get plenty of compliments and strange looks when I tell them I want to look like Chris froome.

nemo57

Postby nemo57 » Thu Apr 12, 2018 11:38 pm

I wasn't game to put my hand up here, but have been very happily surprised in recent months. Mid 2016 I was about 85Kg. By Boxing day 2017 I was 94.3Kg for no apparent reason, and even though I'd been exercising more from mid-2017 than I had for years. Now, 1500km or so later I'm under 87 with the goal set at 85.
But if I get there without too much trouble, well, why not keep right on going? 80 would be nice, 75 an ideal that may prove impossible. (Last time I weighed that was after 3 months hosting Delhi belly in the subcontinent, 35 years ago, and before that was when I finished high school.)
Hell, I'm almost down to a single chin!