Cyling benefits immunity in old age

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Dodgy-Knee

Cyling benefits immunity in old age

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:12 pm

Well here's some good news... (and GO AUDAX!!! :D )

http://www.bbc.com/news/health-43308729

Tequestra

Re: Cyling benefits immunity in old age

Postby Tequestra » Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:32 pm

I read something in a book back at uni about how other mammals naturally tend to maintain their fitness for most of their lifespan, and then they get old quickly and die. Maybe now we generally extend our natural lives beyond the fifty year mark or thereabouts with the help of drugs to compensate for the lack of physical fitness that comes with the convenience of sedentary modern life? It makes me grateful that fate has dragged me back in the saddle at the half-century mark, because I would like to be optimistic and think of fifty as a halfway point in life, providing of course that I don't get myself runover on the highway in the process.
Viva le Tour Electrique' !!!

London Boy

Re: Cyling benefits immunity in old age

Postby London Boy » Sat Mar 10, 2018 11:26 pm

Tequestra wrote:I read something in a book back at uni about how other mammals naturally tend to maintain their fitness for most of their lifespan, and then they get old quickly and die. Maybe now we generally extend our natural lives beyond the fifty year mark or thereabouts with the help of drugs to compensate for the lack of physical fitness that comes with the convenience of sedentary modern life? It makes me grateful that fate has dragged me back in the saddle at the half-century mark, because I would like to be optimistic and think of fifty as a halfway point in life, providing of course that I don't get myself runover on the highway in the process.
"Why do you do that?"

"So in 20 years I still can".

My usual reason for getting up at the crack of dawn to go riding.