Hernia Operation

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Dodgy-Knee

Hernia Operation

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Sat Aug 18, 2018 10:56 am

Hi all
Well.... the gasket finally blew and I've just had a double inguinal hernia operation.
I've been told the usual good news - no lifting etc for 6 weeks... worst of all, NO bike riding for 6 weeks either.... Grrrrrr
So anyway, I was just wondering how those of you who have had the op eased back into cycling? ... Is it possible to start riding from where you left off or as I expect, nice gentle flat rides to test the waters?
It had better be a nice sunny day on 1st october....
Dodgy

Arbuckle23

Re: Hernia Operation

Postby Arbuckle23 » Sat Aug 18, 2018 11:16 am

I wasn't riding when I had the same op. Did take me a while to recover, but I am old and was fat back then :)

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sat Aug 18, 2018 9:22 pm

Dodgy-Knee wrote:...no lifting etc for 6 weeks... worst of all, NO bike riding for 6 weeks either.... Grrrrrr
:roll:

48rs for laparoscopic.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

greenfish

Postby greenfish » Sun Aug 19, 2018 2:33 pm

Advice varies widely by surgeon and procedure type. I had a bilateral repair done laparoscopically in late March. I'm over 50.

I was advised a week off the bike then be guided by the pain. I eased back in after 6 days - it was uncomfortable so just built up gradually. By 3 weeks post op I was riding just under 200km a week but mostly short rides. Did the GBBR a month after the surgery - only the 75 option but it ended up a 110km day.

I had a pronounced swelling where one of the hernias was - and thought perhaps I'd started riding too early, but it has completely resolved now.

Dodgy-Knee

Postby Dodgy-Knee » Thu Aug 23, 2018 1:35 am

greenfish wrote:Advice varies widely by surgeon and procedure type. I had a bilateral repair done laparoscopically in late March. I'm over 50.

I was advised a week off the bike then be guided by the pain. I eased back in after 6 days - it was uncomfortable so just built up gradually. By 3 weeks post op I was riding just under 200km a week but mostly short rides. Did the GBBR a month after the surgery - only the 75 option but it ended up a 110km day.

I had a pronounced swelling where one of the hernias was - and thought perhaps I'd started riding too early, but it has completely resolved now.
Hi Greenfish
Thanks for the info ... 6 days?? That's pretty quick but good to know you made a good recovery.

It's been a week since the op (laparoscopic bilateral with mesh) ... I'm still swollen and my belly is sore if i press it but other than that, well on the mend... I've been going crazy doing bugger all but I keep telling myself not to do anything stupid too soon ... I'm out of action for 6 weeks but see the surgeon again in about 3 more weeks so maybe he'll cut me some slack ...

I haven't got any gran fondos until next year so plenty of time to get fit again .. I just have to remember to ease into it as I know I'll just start from where I left off.

Jawa

Postby Jawa » Thu Aug 23, 2018 9:33 am

FWIW I had a inguinal hernia op on 21/11/2016, I was back on the bike one month later on 18/12/2016

Notes;
- It was laparoscopic
- Surgeon gave me the OK first
- I eased back into riding, flat pedals cruising on the MTB for a month approx
- Overall heath and fitness was good to begin with, don't underestimate how important this part is

As mentioned before everyone's recovery is going to be different, what works for one wont necessarily work for another

For perspective, I fractured my shoulder in January this year and was off the bike for 7 weeks [had to pull out of Peaks Challenge!! :x ] .. I only just finished my last physio session this week. But ive talked to others with the same injury and their recovery time, treatment and periods off the bike varied significantly.

If I can only give one bit of advice to anyone who has an injury that results in time off the bike ... listen to your doctor only and stick to their advice only. Short term "gains" are not worth long term detriment

Good luck with recovery

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Wed Sep 05, 2018 3:51 pm

No cycling but how long were you off driving?

I overdue for this operation - left side :roll:

I'd put on 3 - 4 kilos sitting around for a month.