Experiences sought re cycling post knee replacement surgery

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Aussteve2712

Experiences sought re cycling post knee replacement surgery

Postby Aussteve2712 » Sat Oct 06, 2018 5:21 pm

Hi everyone,
I'm an experienced roadie and really enjoy my cycling. I'd describe myself as very fit for age, 66, with no illnesses etc. but I do have two crook knees that are going to be replaced at the same time, sometime in the next 12 months. Interestingly they don't cause any real issues or pain when cycling but walking on uneven ground, downhill or flat ground more than a few hundred metres causes a fair bit of discomfort. On a recent trip to Carnarvon Gorge I managed about 8 kms walking but the discomfort was considerable.
Anyway that's the background, I'd like to hear from anyone who has successfully returned to rigorous cycling following one or both knee joints being replaced. Some specifics I'd like to read about are; how long did it take to be riding again, what was the progression of distances, any issues with being out of the saddle climbing, pain levels and how long any pain was suffered when cycling (how long was it before you could cycle pain free?). These and any other experiences I'd be extremely grateful to read about. I love cycling and hope to be able to return to at least the level I am at currently.
TIA< everyone.
Steve.

Aussteve2712

Re: Experiences sought re cycling post knee replacement surgery

Postby Aussteve2712 » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:23 am

Anyone????
Steve.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:33 pm

Both at the same time? I would of thought you would of had to do one at a time? No first hand experience, all I have heard is you should do it as a last resort and delay as long as possibly but at 66 you are probably about the age to be doing them. I believe they actually cut though the bone so not to be taken lightly this operation.
2013 BMC TM SLR01;2013/14 Bianchi Inf CV
2013 Lynskey Helix;2013 XACD Ti Di2
2013 Giant TCR Adv SL1;2014 Giant Defy Adv SL

Aussteve2712

Postby Aussteve2712 » Wed Oct 10, 2018 6:31 pm

Hi Rodney, seems nobody on here has ever had a knee replacement hey? Both together, yeah not many surgeons will do it & apparently the rehabilitation is more difficult, quite understandably, and I'll certainly be more reliant on my wife for support etc. The decision was a time issue mostly, as a public patient there is a 12 month wait & then the rehabilitation x 2 so I figure that's probably 2 and a 1/4 years out of my life as opposed to, hopefully, half that. Suffer the pain & inconvenience once..
Steve.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Oct 10, 2018 7:05 pm

Yeah maybe nobody hasn't or possibly stopped riding after it?

I just can't imagine both at the same time. It would be horrific having no mobility. But like you said half the recovery time. Depends if you can remain sane I guess.

My wife went to the docs about knee replacement surgery because she has terrible problems but they told her she was too young (at 52) and told her to wait as long as possible.

Anyway all the best Steve.
Cheers Rod

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed Oct 10, 2018 10:43 pm

Perhaps if you did a search you would find threads about knee replacement. I did and found several.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Wed Oct 10, 2018 11:07 pm

Yeah wish the search was a little more intuitive to be honest. It sort of does the job in a cluncky way but I'm still missing something on the way to search the exact term like knee replacement it matches everything with knee and replacement in the whole post instead of the exact term (even if I put it in quotes).

Anyway it is what it is.

Edit: think I've just found the search options surprising what you find if you really try ☺

Aussteve2712

Postby Aussteve2712 » Thu Oct 11, 2018 7:54 am

RonK wrote:Perhaps if you did a search you would find threads about knee replacement. I did and found several.
I did and couldn’t find any, sure plenty about knee surgery but my search didn’t reveal any about replacement, not in medical anyway.
Thanks
Steve.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Thu Oct 11, 2018 1:43 pm

There is a couple in the General cycling sub group as well.

The main ones I could see are:

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:06 am
Forum: General Cycling Discussion
Topic: What's your biggest cycling fitness or training pain point?
Replies: 36
Views: 15938
Re: What's your biggest cycling fitness or training pain point?
Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:33 am
Forum: Cycling Health
Topic: Dealing with arthritis
Replies: 41
Views: 4702
Re: Dealing with arthritis
by Slow Motion
Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:44 pm
Topic: Frustrating Knee Niggle
Replies: 24
Views: 25868
Re: Frustrating Knee Niggle
Topic: Your PRIMARY reason for taking up cycling in adulthood?
Replies: 28
Views: 3102

Enjoy!

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:16 pm

I don't have direct experience with knee replacements, but a fellow I chat to when walking my dog has recently had one knee done. He cycles, but doesn't do serious distances/ speeds.
He was back on his bike pretty quickly and said that he gets some pain at the top of the pedal stroke and a bit of puffiness and pain afterwards. He had to raise his seat height to improve comfort.
I think knee replacements are great when they work, but they have a higher complication rate than, say, hip replacements. I would advise you take it cautiously during recovery and listen to your physio/ exercise physiologist regarding how much & what type of work to do.

Aussteve2712

Postby Aussteve2712 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:07 am

redsonic wrote:I don't have direct experience with knee replacements, but a fellow I chat to when walking my dog has recently had one knee done. He cycles, but doesn't do serious distances/ speeds.
He was back on his bike pretty quickly and said that he gets some pain at the top of the pedal stroke and a bit of puffiness and pain afterwards. He had to raise his seat height to improve comfort.
I think knee replacements are great when they work, but they have a higher complication rate than, say, hip replacements. I would advise you take it cautiously during recovery and listen to your physio/ exercise physiologist regarding how much & what type of work to do.
Thanks for this redsonic, I'll most certainly be listening to the physio, I don't want to make it anymore difficult of muck it up for myself.
Steve.

Aussteve2712

Postby Aussteve2712 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:27 am

rodneycc wrote:There is a couple in the General cycling sub group as well.

The main ones I could see are:

Wed Nov 01, 2017 8:06 am
Topic: What's your biggest cycling fitness or training pain point?
Replies: 36
Views: 15938
Re: What's your biggest cycling fitness or training pain point?
Sun Jul 09, 2017 7:33 am
Topic: Dealing with arthritis
Replies: 41
Views: 4702
Re: Dealing with arthritis
by Slow Motion
Wed Apr 26, 2017 4:44 pm
Topic: Frustrating Knee Niggle
Replies: 24
Views: 25868
Re: Frustrating Knee Niggle
Topic: Your PRIMARY reason for taking up cycling in adulthood?
Replies: 28
Views: 3102

Enjoy!
Thanks Rodney, I had a good look & search but nothing relevant to my situation. Maybe I'll be a guinea pig.
Steve.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:09 pm

I told my wife about your situation and her response was:

"Well he must have a very understanding wife - because I wouldn't wipe your bum for weeks on end if you were in the same situation"

Isn't that just lovely... :-)

Aussteve2712

Postby Aussteve2712 » Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:46 pm

rodneycc wrote:I told my wife about your situation and her response was:

"Well he must have a very understanding wife - because I wouldn't wipe your bum for weeks on end if you were in the same situation"

That's why I married an ex nurse Rodney. I think if I, or she, can get me on the toilet I can wipe my own bum anyway, if not, she loves me.
Steve.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sun Oct 14, 2018 10:44 am

I broke both arms at once, and wiping my own bum was my first goal 8)

John Lewis

Postby John Lewis » Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:51 pm

There are a couple of threads over on BentRider Online forum that may be of interest
http://www.bentrideronline.com/messageb ... eplacement

kb

Postby kb » Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:08 pm

Ha. My wife broke both her ankles at 37 weeks pregnant. Wheelchair didn’t fit through the bathroom door :-(.

rodneycc

Postby rodneycc » Mon Oct 15, 2018 4:34 pm

kb wrote:

Ha. My wife broke both her ankles at 37 weeks pregnant. Wheelchair didn’t fit through the bathroom door :-(.

Time for the Port-a-loo :-)

Aussteve2712

Postby Aussteve2712 » Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:20 pm

John Lewis wrote:There are a couple of threads over on BentRider Online forum that may be of interest

Thanks for this John, I found it very helpful and am hoping to be able to resume riding a standard two wheel road bike post operation.
Steve.

Ponderosa

Postby Ponderosa » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:06 pm

Hi, my experience is a bit different to yours but I had a total knee replacement of my left knee about 3 years ago. The right will need replacing at some stage in the future. At the time of deciding on the operation I asked about getting both knees done at the same time and the surgeon advised that my chances of dying on the table were threefold. I look his advice and had just one done. I wasn’t a regular cyclist at the time. The post operative recovery involved riding a stationary bike with the seat height set so that I could feel the stretch in my new knee. Each few days after that I lowered the seat post by 3 mm until eventually the seat was at its lowest point and I had about 120 degrees of bend. I have recently rediscovered cycling and will be doing an unsupported riding tour from Melbourne to Syfney. If you work st it, you will be back on the bike reasonably quickly. I can’t emphasise enough the need for post operative rehab. It is the secret to the operation ‘s success.

Aussteve2712

Postby Aussteve2712 » Sun Jan 06, 2019 6:57 pm

Ponderosa wrote:Hi, my experience is a bit different to yours but I had a total knee replacement of my left knee about 3 years ago. The right will need replacing at some stage in the future. At the time of deciding on the operation I asked about getting both knees done at the same time and the surgeon advised that my chances of dying on the table were threefold. I look his advice and had just one done. I wasn’t a regular cyclist at the time. The post operative recovery involved riding a stationary bike with the seat height set so that I could feel the stretch in my new knee. Each few days after that I lowered the seat post by 3 mm until eventually the seat was at its lowest point and I had about 120 degrees of bend. I have recently rediscovered cycling and will be doing an unsupported riding tour from Melbourne to Syfney. If you work st it, you will be back on the bike reasonably quickly. I can’t emphasise enough the need for post operative rehab. It is the secret to the operation ‘s success.
Wow your surgeon sounds like a very positive guy, nevertheless I will continue with my plans. Being a public patient, with a 12 month waiting list, I figure i'd be looking at the better part of two and a half years out of my life by the time I rehabbed one leg & waited for the second operation & then rehabbed that knee, so it's both at the same time. I do consider myself fit & healthy so no reason to believe I won't do well on the operating table. Thanks for the information on your recuperation that is useful information & something I will try on my road bike & most certainly intend giving 100% to the rehab, otherwise the whole process is surely compromised.
Steve.

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:34 pm

That statistic quoted about dying on the table sounds horrific, but it is an example of how misleading statistics can be.

3 times a vanishingly small number is still itself vanishingly small
Last edited by redsonic on Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

CKinnard

Postby CKinnard » Sun Jan 06, 2019 10:17 pm

redsonic wrote:I broke both arms at once, and wiping my own bum was my first goal 8)
I heard about a guy who did that about 6 years ago going down the back of Mt Glorious. You?

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Mon Jan 07, 2019 12:24 am

My neighbour (64 years old) had his right knee done just over a year ago.
Unfortunately it didn't go well. He contracted an infection that took months to get over.

But. If you don't exercise the knee after the operation and keep at it, the knee will never be right.
He has a stationary bike and plays golf - Golf almost daily. He's just come back from The UK where he payed some championship links.
He can't ride a real bike.

My mother had both done - not at once (in her late 70's). Her pain threshold was low and complained every time she was supposed to exercise - even simple thing doing knee bends. As a result she ended up with a walker for the rest of her life.

There's a lady in her 90's who walks around my area. She's had both hips and a knee done. Her motto - don't use it, lose it.

My right knee needs doing, I have a prolapsed 1st lower disc, an inguinal hernia and a varicose vein that needs to come out. - I'm 67.
All of which require substantial downtime after procedure. I did suggest to the doctor we do all at once to get them over with but he didn't see the humour in that.

Bottom line. You need to start to do some exercise as soon as you are able - depending on your own situation.

Neighbour above with the knee operation that went wonky suggests getting any required procedure done as soon as you can. You don't know what other issue will pipe up in the near future.

Aussteve2712

Postby Aussteve2712 » Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:47 am

Thanks for that varied but useful information Ivanerrol.
Steve.