Blood pressure

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
warthog1

Blood pressure

Postby warthog1 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 1:47 pm

Post yours :)
Mine recently hit 135/100 (whilst standing) on 2/10/18
The Systolic has never been a problem but the diastolic (bottom figure) has been creeping up to just below 90 whilst seated for some time.
Too high for my liking.
I am 50 and have been off the bike a bit.
Back on the bike but more importantly diet. Whilst not being a junk food head, I have been too much of a carnivore.
Gone vego for a start and I'll move from there.
Last edited by warthog1 on Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

find_bruce

Re: Blood pressure

Postby find_bruce » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:08 pm

Like you Warthog I am 50. Dr thought I had a problem with high blood pressure - 146/86. 24 hour monitor was 124/78 & Dr thought it was just white coat hypertension.

Recently did a test that required no caffeine for 24 hours - result 125/80 - it seems I need to stop having a strong espresso before I see the Dr. :oops: At least I am hoping she doesn't say give up coffee altogether. :cry:

Sadly it seems there may be other issues going on so I am off for a stress test next week. It seems they have no bike so I am going to have to run on a treadmill :shock:

JPB

Postby JPB » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:10 pm

I have been on medication for years and average around 125/70 taken in the morning after breakfast (sitting quietly, no stress)
53 years old

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Oct 17, 2018 2:42 pm

find_bruce wrote:Like you Warthog I am 50...…<snip>...Sadly it seems there may be other issues going on so I am off for a stress test next week. It seems they have no bike so I am going to have to run on a treadmill :shock:
I had some 'other issues' around 50yo and went for a stress test. In fact stress/anxiety was my issue, and it was giving me palpitations and slightly raised BP, as it turned out.

I couldn't run due to a knee injury, but walked the treadmill into the ground for 15 mins and they said "nothing wrong with you cardio-vascular wise" - in fact they were pleased to have someone who could throw up a decent result rather than the elderly and frail patients they usually tested. This was well before I began regular riding as well. Hopefully you'll have a good result on the test.

Pay some attention to diet/exercise and try to factor OUT stress causes, and life is much better. :wink:
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:03 pm

51 & 3/4 y.o., too heavy, but typically get 150 - 200km of cycling a week (up to 7,284km with 75,312m ascent so far for the year !).

Donate plasma fairly regularly, and last appt, BP was 120/72 and HR of 52. Been pretty consistent in that range for a while.

That reminds me, due for another 90 min rest at the local Red Cross centre !!

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:07 pm

find_bruce wrote:Like you Warthog I am 50. Dr thought I had a problem with high blood pressure - 146/86. 24 hour monitor was 124/78 & Dr thought it was just white coat hypertension.

Recently did a test that required no caffeine for 24 hours - result 125/80 - it seems I need to stop having a strong espresso before I see the Dr. :oops: At least I am hoping she doesn't say give up coffee altogether. :cry:

Sadly it seems there may be other issues going on so I am off for a stress test next week. It seems they have no bike so I am going to have to run on a treadmill :shock:
I like my coffee too.
Already dropped it back to 2 cups a day max from 4 or 5 :oops:
Withdrawal headaches for sure if I go cold turkey. :lol:

Like you I don't run.
That is madness :o

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:16 pm

warthog1 wrote:Post yours :)
We all need to standardise how we measure BP. Otherwise we can't really compare.
Here is the AHA guide to measuring. For a start, it says one should be sitting with the back supported.
Being a medical professional I'm surprised to hear you reporting readings lying down, or standing.

Anyway, as you know, mine is about 110/70 every time I get it professionally measured. Which is about every 6 months. I'm 50 yo too. More than 5 years ago I used to be about 122/81. Diet change has dropped mine. I used to think it would go up as I age, as western diet eaters generally do. But with Africans that eat mainly plant based, their BP does down slightly as they age. As you're figuring out, it's more about diet than exercise over the long term. Although I don't want to downplay the importance of exercise.
Anyway, hopefully you'll get it sorted. Mine took about 4 years to bottom out after the diet change. So it can take a while.

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:21 pm

Nobody wrote: ..Here is the AHA guide ....
Cool, I'm in the Green range :mrgreen:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:22 pm

warthog1 wrote:I like my coffee too.
I saw some studies on nutritionfacts.org which showed that if you paper filter coffee, rather than french press (metal filter) you can drop a compound in it (by 90% IIRC) which causes cholesterol to rise. Just another way coffee could be contributing.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:27 pm

MichaelB wrote:
Nobody wrote: ..Here is the AHA guide ....
Cool, I'm in the Green range :mrgreen:
Nice to know and good for you. But are you going to post the numbers?

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:29 pm

Nobody wrote:
warthog1 wrote:Post yours :)
We all need to standardise how we measure BP. Otherwise we can't really compare.
Here is the AHA guide to measuring. For a start, it says one should be sitting with the back supported.
Being a medical professional I'm surprised to hear you reporting readings lying down, or standing.

Anyway, as you know, mine is about 110/70 every time I get it professionally measured. Which is about every 6 months. I'm 50 yo too. More than 5 years ago I used to be about 122/81. Diet change has dropped mine. I used to think it would go up as I age, as western diet eaters generally do. But with Africans that eat mainly plant based, their BP does down slightly as they age. As you're figuring out, it's more about diet than exercise over the long term. Although I don't want to downplay the importance of exercise.
Anyway, hopefully you'll get it sorted. Mine took about 4 years to bottom out after the diet change. So it can take a while.
Yeah that's why I reported it as standing.
It is a modifying factor and means it will be higher.
Diastolic whilst seated is just south of 90 usually which is still too high.
Stage 1 hypertension according to your link.

Bugger, I can't just be a sloth and eat/drink whatever I want :( :lol:

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:33 pm

Nobody wrote: But are you going to post the numbers?
120/72 he posted earlier.
I'd be happy with that

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:36 pm

Nobody wrote:
warthog1 wrote:I like my coffee too.
I saw some studies on nutritionfacts.org which showed that if you paper filter coffee, rather than french press (metal filter) you can drop a compound in it (by 90% IIRC) which causes cholesterol to rise. Just another way coffee could be contributing.
My cholesterol was pretty good despite the shlt I've been eating.
I'm going to struggle to let coffee go :oops:

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Oct 17, 2018 3:47 pm

warthog1 wrote:Bugger, I can't just be a sloth and eat/drink whatever I want :( :lol:
Um, yeah. Some of us just don't have that genetic gift. :( :lol:
However, even the ones that do have the gift often eventually get bitten my something else health related eventually. Which in part is perpetuated by all the sloth and gluttony (for want of better words) they got away with previously.
warthog1 wrote:
I'd be happy with that
Thanks.
Sorry MB. :oops:
warthog1 wrote:My cholesterol was pretty good despite the shlt I've been eating.
But what's "pretty good"? Remember any numbers? Some people have wildly differing ideals on what "pretty good" or "good" is. A guy at work has a TC of 5.5 and thinks that is good enough not to do anything about it. Mine is 3.4, but I still want to get it lower.
warthog1 wrote:I'm going to struggle to let coffee go :oops:
There should be various substitution options available. Teas are better for you and still have caffeine, if caffeine is the problem. Watering it down some more? If the wife doesn't drink it (highly unlikely) then removing it from your environment could be effective.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:00 pm

Nobody wrote: Um, yeah. Some of us just don't have that genetic gift. :( :lol:
However, even the ones that do have the gift often eventually get bitten my something else health related eventually. Which in part is perpetuated by all the sloth and gluttony (for want of better words) they got away with previously.
No definitely not.
A bit of a stress head too so might need to manage that better also

Nobody wrote:But what's "pretty good"? Remember any numbers? Some people have wildly differing ideals on what "pretty good" or "good" is. A guy at work has a TC of 5.5 and thinks that is good enough not to do anything about it
Canna remember sorry, but well within the GP's acceptable range.
I'll get some bloods done in another 6 months.
Nobody wrote:There should be various substitution options available. Teas are better for you and still have caffeine, if that is the problem. Watering it down some more? If the wife doesn't drink it (highly unlikely) then removing it from your environment could be effective.
I am substituting some of the other cups for ginger tea and green tea now.
Struggling to let go of coffee altogether. I reckon I'll keep the morning one if I can.

Anyway, I was hoping this thread wasn't about me too much, wondering how others are going and how they manage it.
I'll pester you in the diet thread Nobody, you are definitely all over diet for health.

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Wed Oct 17, 2018 4:09 pm

warthog1 wrote:Anyway, I was hoping this thread wasn't about me too much...
Sorry. Shutting up (for a while). :)

I'll leave this here for quick reference.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed Oct 17, 2018 5:19 pm

OK - 133/68, 121/69, 124/70

Three readings just taken by my daughter (student nurse) watching PAKvsAUS cricket just now - first reading just as S Marsh did his best to chop a wide ball onto his stumps and go out for a duck. :lol:

For interest, my TC has been 4.4-4.7 for the last 30 years.

*SMarsh just snicks one to first slip - OUT for 3. His only scoring shot was the chop past his stumps.
BP may be up a little now !! :roll:
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

MichaelB

Postby MichaelB » Thu Oct 18, 2018 8:41 am

[quote="Nobody
warthog1 wrote:
I'd be happy with that
Thanks.
Sorry MB. :oops:

[/quote]

All good :lol:

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 9:07 am

130/85 and I'm only 32.

Basically family history. I went real clean for about 2 years - not coffee, alcohol (ok I might have maybe 10 drinks in the entire 2 years), reduced sugar massively and animal fats. Did absolutely nothing. Some people are just naturally high and I have a massive family history of this stuff.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

PA

Postby PA » Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:05 am

I don't suffer from stress, I'm a carrier.

Mouse magnet

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 11:21 am

Calvin27 wrote:130/85 and I'm only 32.

Basically family history. I went real clean for about 2 years - not coffee, alcohol (ok I might have maybe 10 drinks in the entire 2 years), reduced sugar massively and animal fats. Did absolutely nothing. Some people are just naturally high and I have a massive family history of this stuff.
Family Hx on my Mum's side too.
My wife, on the other hand, is well overweight, doesn't exercise and has a BP of 120/60.

Member Nobody (terrible username for using as an example :lol: ) has had excellent results by going a plant-based diet.
I am leaning toward that but don't know if I can manage the abstinence it requires.
I'll probably have another half-hearted attempt :oops: :lol:
We will see.

Either way, hypertension can't be left unmanaged. There will be a heavy price to pay long-term.

I work with a bloke who has a porcine aortic valve and an aortic repair as a result.
It has had life-changing effect on him.

Anyway not trying to sound preachy but it a high bp is not benign if anyone wasn't already aware.

RobertL

Postby RobertL » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:17 pm

Just gave blood this morning. BP 120/79, HR 54. I'm 50 years old.

Genetics must help, I can remember going for a check-up when I weighed 20kg more than I do now, and I had good BP, cholesterol etc. Basically, every health factor that could be reduced to a number was very good - except for my weight. Now that I am fitter and skinnier, all of those numbers have improved a bit more.

Arbuckle23

Postby Arbuckle23 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:27 pm

PA wrote:I don't suffer from stress, I'm a carrier.

Creator ! :P

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 1:47 pm

warthog1 wrote: Either way, hypertension can't be left unmanaged. There will be a heavy price to pay long-term.
Agree, but in my case, I rekon there is very little I can do. Despite my efforts the blood pressure remains high. My large sample size of cousins , aunts and uncles seem to have the same problem regardless of their lifestyle choices (5 of them are vegan).

The only other thing i haven't tried is to go full hermit - which I think would actually work in my case - we seem to be a stressful bunch haha.
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Thu Oct 18, 2018 4:48 pm

Calvin27 wrote:
warthog1 wrote: Either way, hypertension can't be left unmanaged. There will be a heavy price to pay long-term.
Agree, but in my case, I rekon there is very little I can do. Despite my efforts the blood pressure remains high. My large sample size of cousins , aunts and uncles seem to have the same problem regardless of their lifestyle choices (5 of them are vegan).

The only other thing i haven't tried is to go full hermit - which I think would actually work in my case - we seem to be a stressful bunch haha.
That surprises me.
I'll see how I'm going over time.
Good luck with it mate :)