Nutritionists - Do they have a value and can they assist?

Forum rules
The information / discussion in the Cycling Health Forum is not qualified medical advice. Please consult your doctor.
Top_Bhoy

Nutritionists - Do they have a value and can they assist?

Postby Top_Bhoy » Sat Dec 08, 2018 10:44 am

On occasions when I needed to, losing weight was never an issue previously. Would a nutritionist be of use in my situation or am I just as well, gritting my teeth and persevering for longer and avoid becoming disillusioned quite so easy. What value does a nutritionist bring to the table? For those with knowledge or experience of using a nutritionist, did you get value from them and how did they assist you to attain your goals?

The reason for my request is that I'm 53 and recently went on a diet which involved eating each day, as an example, a couple of wraps, some veggies and a bowl of porridge and several cups of tea (with soy milk). I don't smoke or drink much alcohol and no alcohol had been drank during or for several weeks prior to commencing. I cycle a 10kms each way commute every day and also went to the gym and did light weight and body weight exercises only and 20+ min of post-exercise stretching.

At the end of 4 weeks, weight loss was minimal - and there is a bit to lose. To say I am a bit disillusioned is putting it mildly. I lost a bit of focus and didn't really watch what I was eating again for a few weeks thereafter but its time to regain that focus as I have some cycling goals I want to achieve next year.

RhapsodyX

Re: Nutritionists - Do they have a value and can they assist?

Postby RhapsodyX » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:48 am

For a start... you have probably lost fat mass and gained muscle mass. Unless you are measuring fat% or thigh size/waist size etc., you simply won't know.

The danger of going to a nutritionist/dietitian being the "one size fits all" approach that many people in the diet field have (eat less, exercise more, avoid fats). Years ago I saw a dietitian when I was quite ill... the suggested foods were actually incompatible with my lack of disaccharide enzymes (inflamed small intestine... long story). Over the years, I finally worked that I'm happiest on almost no carbs... but some people (genetically) are happiest on no fats. Science says that there is no magic ratio of foods, ultimately it's about commitment and desire to lose weight.

I'd suggest reading "Racing weight: hot to get lean for peak performance". He's very pro-carbs and thinks that following what elite level people do translates into not-so-elite, but I find the psych stuff to be quite interesting (lots of science to back the latter parts up). I'm struggling with motivation myself these days, which is why I'm reading it.

Ivanerrol

Postby Ivanerrol » Sat Dec 08, 2018 11:25 pm

I.M.H.O..

53 - you are getting to the age where it's very difficult to "just shed weight"

Go and see your G.P. Get intensive blood checks done.
Check your kidney functions. Your heart functions.
Your blood sugar levels, your thyroid, kidney, Liver functioning and your heart fitness will determine what course of action you could undertake.

I have found nutritionists are largely either fad driven, conform to their own agenda or blindly follow some agenda driven by some university study. And then any advice given to you by some generic nutritionist is suitable for you based on your either current physical condition or your genetic predisposition.

Autodidact Nutritionist - Ivanerrol - Balanced diet. Cut out processed food - exercise.

Top_Bhoy

Postby Top_Bhoy » Sun Dec 09, 2018 12:58 am

Ivanerrol wrote:I.M.H.O..

53 - you are getting to the age where it's very difficult to "just shed weight"
Yes, I think that's where I'm at. I got blood tests at the start of the year and they were all good but then the diet went a bit awry and have struggled since to get the weight issue back on track, hence my query.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Sun Dec 09, 2018 7:39 am

Ivanerrol wrote:
Autodidact Nutritionist - Ivanerrol - Balanced diet. Cut out processed food - exercise.
First use of “autodidact” I’ve ever seen on the forum - excellent work ! :D
2023 Target: 9.500kms/100,000m
My old blog - A bit of fun :)
"Riding, not racing...completing, not competing"

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:32 pm

Dieticians and Nutritionists are not the same thing. Dieticians are regulated in Australia, where as "Nutritionists" are not.

Your end-point is weight loss (not % muscle mass or anything like that) and about 4 in 5 Australians who go on some form of "diet modification" will fail to maintain significant weight loss at 12 months. Sad, but true.

Successful weight loss in adults is best driven (rather strangely) by social engagement - be that riding or dieting or exercising with friends. So engineer riding or dieting with friends - in person or online. Either seems to work.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Sun Dec 16, 2018 10:34 pm

Ivanerrol wrote:I.M.H.O..

Go and see your G.P. Get intensive blood checks done.
Check your kidney functions. Your heart functions.
Your blood sugar levels, your thyroid, kidney, Liver functioning and your heart fitness will determine what course of action you could undertake.

I have found nutritionists are largely either fad driven, conform to their own agenda or blindly follow some agenda driven by some university study. And then any advice given to you by some generic nutritionist is suitable for you based on your either current physical condition or your genetic predisposition.
Weight gain is almost never due to "genetic predisposition". And very unlikely due to an un-diagnosed medical condition.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

AUbicycles
Site Admin
Site Admin

Postby AUbicycles » Thu Dec 20, 2018 3:53 am

With reference to the difference between a dietician and nutritionalist, do look at the history and qualifications of each individual. When the prequisite for a profession is simply using a label, take a lot more time to understand their experience and credentials in advance.

I have no doubt that there are some nutritionalists who may be able to genuinely help their clients, but there are also others who rely on guessing, brand endorsements and pseudoscience where you have the same chances of success as DIY.
Cycling is in my BNA