Mudguards

Lurkin

Mudguards

Postby Lurkin » Sun Apr 20, 2014 3:35 pm

Recently did the Lilydale to Warburton trail in the rain and discovered how great it is to get mud in the face again.

Have looked at making a Mucky Nuts style guard for the front, but not sure what to use on the rear.

Clip on/seat post guards appear a bit flimsy.. Mud Hugger rear guard seems to be the ultimate, but at 63.50 pounds delivered they are out of my price range.

Does anyone on here have mudguards, if so, what brand, pros cons etc.

Stredda

Re: Mudguards

Postby Stredda » Sun Apr 20, 2014 6:23 pm

I have made a few Mucky Nuts style guards for the front of mine. They work quite well, keep a lot of muck out of your eyes. Made them from $2 display folder covers. They just tend to be a bit vulnerable to sticks but are cheap to make another one. As for the rear I wanted to get a Mudhugger for winter use but as you said the postage was a killer. They need a local distributor to keep that cost down. Other than that I haven't found anything that looks as good out there.

Lurkin

Postby Lurkin » Sun May 11, 2014 8:08 pm

Its getting to the point where I will just buy a Mudhugger and cop the cost.

The more locally available guards are just a bit too weak/average.

Obtained a the sportline guard for the front, despite not being a 29er guard, definitely keeps the mud off the face. Just need to sort the rear now.

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Mon May 12, 2014 9:49 am

Are there any full cover style guards for wider MTB tyres? I'm not interested in the smaller clip=on style guards, I want the best area coverage possible
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Mon May 12, 2014 7:18 pm

Where are we riding in the wet? Not on singletrack, I hope?

I don't mean to come across as the fun police, but this is an important thing that riders need to be educated about, as it impacts rider access to trails nationally.

Fire trails and dirt roads are generally OK but the trail fairies and other stakeholders such as land managers frown on riders abusing singletrack trails by riding them when wet as they are much more vulnerable to damage when soft. If we don't respect the trails, our access can be taken away at the stroke of a pen. This happened to us in Sydney 5 years ago. We are only just now getting limited access back, and it has taken a huge amount of work that has sadly burned out a few people.

Please consider your options carefully in damp conditions.

See IMBA rules of the trail: https://www.imba.com/about/rules-trail" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lurkin

Postby Lurkin » Tue May 13, 2014 8:58 pm

Are there any full cover style guards for wider MTB tyres? I'm not interested in the smaller clip=on style guards, I want the best area coverage possible
the only ones I've come across have been for touring rather than mountain biking, and are not really wide enough.

Further, the fittings for them would probably result in too much muck being caught for really travelling off road.