2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 & Thule ProRide 591

tcdev

2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 & Thule ProRide 591

Postby tcdev » Thu Oct 16, 2014 5:49 pm

Hi,

After an afternoon of research I've settled on the Thule ProRide 591, primarily because I want a roof-mount (lockable, no towbar, no licence plate holder), wheel-on rack (no need for through axle adapter).

Does anyone know if it is suitable for a (2015) Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1? I notice the frame is quite chunky on it and I'm not convinced the locking jaw on the ProRide is going to secure itself around the frame. So if anyone with this combination could pass on their experience it would be much appreciated. I intend, of course, testing it before having it fitted, but you could potentially save me a trip across the city just to find it's no good.

FTR the other contender was the Rhino Rack Discovery Bike Carrier...

Thanks & regards,
2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 (2016 frame)
2011 Schwinn Sporterra Comp
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Phil

Re: 2015 Giant XTC Advanced 29er 1 & Thule ProRide 591

Postby Phil » Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:08 pm

Yes I have used that combination previously.

I have gone to a Gripsport Towbar Rack - one accidental "roofing" will more than cover the cost of the Gripsport and towbar - that and it had no chance of fitting the fatty on, without some fancy tieing up of the wheels to the carrier.

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:08 pm

Thanks for the confirmation! Installed the 591 today on a 2nd-hand Thule Aerobar that I picked up for $30!

One thing I did notice was that, although the gripper is capable of holding the bike in place for transit, I very much doubt it will be effective at all against theft. Given the width of the bar, the jaws secure it OK but don't lock around it, so it would probably be quite easy to undo the wheel straps and slide the bike out sideways?!? So for now, I won't be relying on the rack to keep my bike safe from theft for any situation other than sitting across the road in a cafe with half an eye on it!

Understand the 'roofing' concern. Going to make a little sign to hang off the rear vision mirror tonight as I take my maiden voyage tomorrow. Unfortunately I can't load up the bike until I've driven out onto the street as the previous owner here had an ornate entrance to the driveway that I've yet to dismantle. The real test is not backing into that tomorrow at the end of the return trip! :oops:
2021 Giant Contend AR1

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Sat Oct 25, 2014 10:43 pm

I'm not prepared to divulge how much time I spent making this... (it's doubled-sided too) :oops:

2021 Giant Contend AR1

Ross

Postby Ross » Wed Nov 12, 2014 1:26 pm

I'm a bit late to this thread but I have exact same bike and rack. The arm of the rack slides down the downtube while the bike is in transit stopping when it hits the chainrings. The bike doesn't seem to be in any danger of falling off, the wheel straps will stop it anyway, but I'm not 100% happy with the setup. Also it is quite hard to put the bike on the rack and then get the straps which are usually under the wheel and put them over the rim.

I've seen another brand of rack (don't know the brand :( ) that has the wheel straps that are seperate to the rack and you can take them on and off completely, which seems like a better idea. I'm thinking the Thule FreeRide 532 looks like a better option, as far as the arm issue goes (doesn't address the wheel strap issue).

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Wed Nov 12, 2014 3:46 pm

Ross wrote:I'm a bit late to this thread but I have exact same bike and rack. The arm of the rack slides down the downtube while the bike is in transit stopping when it hits the chainrings. The bike doesn't seem to be in any danger of falling off, the wheel straps will stop it anyway, but I'm not 100% happy with the setup. Also it is quite hard to put the bike on the rack and then get the straps which are usually under the wheel and put them over the rim.
I noticed the arm slipping down, so I make sure that it's in the lowest position when I secure it. I don't recall having the issue with the straps, though I've only had it on the roof thrice thus far.

I'm not 100% happy either, considering I opted for this because it was 'lockable'. I asked the vendor if it was suitable for my bike, and they assured me it was. As you say, it won't fall off the roof, but it sure isn't secure from theft while it's up there. The only saving grace is that seasoned thieves might assume it is simply because it's the 591. What I do like however is the speed and ease (I've got a carbon frame and train weights) with which the bike can be affixed and removed from the rack.

Do you leave your 591 on your roof? How often are you using it? In truth mine will only get very occasional use for some time yet (until the kids get older) and I'm loathe to leave it up there, mainly because my car isn't parked undercover at all unless I'm at work, and I am wary of gradual damage due to sun & the elements.
2021 Giant Contend AR1

tcdev

Postby tcdev » Wed Nov 12, 2014 4:01 pm

Ross wrote:I'm thinking the Thule FreeRide 532 looks like a better option, as far as the arm issue goes (doesn't address the wheel strap issue).
I did a reasonable amount of research before buying mine and the consensus appeared to be that the 591 was superior, though now after the fact I can't recall exactly why. Overall the 591 had excellent customer satisfaction and is reportedly their best-selling roof rack model. Going back now and searching has left me none-the-wiser on the critical difference either. I did notice a comment about the 591 - "thieves love this rack". So perhaps locking in the frame would have been false security anyway!?! Regardless, I don't plan on leaving my bike on the roof unless I'm within 50m of the car anyway...

I originally looked for a front-wheel-off rack, thinking they were the norm, until I learned the thru-axle on the XTC meant another expensive addition to the whole setup. When I learned of the popularity of the 591 however, I was pleasantly surprised and very happy that I wouldn't have to remove the front wheel and transport it separately. Definitely impressed with the ease of use!
2021 Giant Contend AR1

Ross

Postby Ross » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:35 pm

tcdev wrote:
Ross wrote:I'm a bit late to this thread but I have exact same bike and rack. The arm of the rack slides down the downtube while the bike is in transit stopping when it hits the chainrings. The bike doesn't seem to be in any danger of falling off, the wheel straps will stop it anyway, but I'm not 100% happy with the setup. Also it is quite hard to put the bike on the rack and then get the straps which are usually under the wheel and put them over the rim.
I noticed the arm slipping down, so I make sure that it's in the lowest position when I secure it. I don't recall having the issue with the straps, though I've only had it on the roof thrice thus far.

I'm not 100% happy either, considering I opted for this because it was 'lockable'. I asked the vendor if it was suitable for my bike, and they assured me it was. As you say, it won't fall off the roof, but it sure isn't secure from theft while it's up there. The only saving grace is that seasoned thieves might assume it is simply because it's the 591. What I do like however is the speed and ease (I've got a carbon frame and train weights) with which the bike can be affixed and removed from the rack.

Do you leave your 591 on your roof? How often are you using it? In truth mine will only get very occasional use for some time yet (until the kids get older) and I'm loathe to leave it up there, mainly because my car isn't parked undercover at all unless I'm at work, and I am wary of gradual damage due to sun & the elements.
I probably use my rack once a week, just for the MTB, the road bike fits inside the car, the MTB won't without dissassembly. Sometimes I do leave the bike unattended on top of the car, never knew about the arm not locking on properly, I'll have to check mine next time. To be honest I stuggle a bit getting the bike on the roof because of my puny cyclist arms!

Ross

Postby Ross » Mon Nov 17, 2014 3:13 pm

I notice T7 have their version of Freeride rack on special for $39.99 - http://www.torpedo7.com.au/products/T7CAON9FR" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

notoriousnick

Postby notoriousnick » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:24 pm

Not directly on topic, but how does this Giant ride? I'm considering this bike as I'm after a hard tail and this (on paper) seems to fit the bill ...