sold a 17" frame as a 19" - how bad will this be?

choobs

sold a 17" frame as a 19" - how bad will this be?

Postby choobs » Wed Jul 29, 2015 6:42 am

Bike was advertised as a 19" gary fisher and it's in good working condition.... the same day I bought it it started having problem with gears, I took it into the bike shop and found not only does it need a new rear gear set but its a 17" frame not the 19" advertised and i'm ~6'1, so its too small? (I haven't spent more than 5mins on it & I assumed it to be less comfortable being a trail bike).

are there any budget options to make the bike fit me better? I'm on a pension and I over-extended myself to buy the bike, now iv gone further to repair it - what do? should I sell/trade this bike and get something bigger or are there other options I can pursue.

eldavo

Re: sold a 17" frame as a 19" - how bad will this be?

Postby eldavo » Wed Jul 29, 2015 8:49 am

Sell, recover your money, set your realistic budget and seek advice beforehand here. Thousands of opinions on tap ready to inundate you.

choobs

Postby choobs » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:01 am

eldavo wrote:Sell, recover your money, set your realistic budget and seek advice beforehand here. Thousands of opinions on tap ready to inundate you.
I saved for some time to buy the bike, I felt I inspected it thoroughly (no corrosion, no bent spokes, teeth on cogs weren't sharpened, and it seemed like a genuinely well cared for bicycle) I did my research into the types of bikes for the style of riding I want to do (trail) aswel as the brands, frame sizes, average prices and other factors.

I didn't just point to a gumtree listing and say "that one" I looked around and bought was I felt was a quality bike in my price range; I could'v gone and gotten a ruler to check the frame size but I could'v done alot of things really...

PS: if you haven't ridden a bicycle in 15 years its not going to be immediately obvious that its too small, also Iv never ridden a "well prepped" bike in my life, just franken BMX's I built from bits of broken big-w bikes.

[edit]: apologies about that sounding rude, i'm sure you get a million ignorant posters here daily asking stupid questions but I didn't go in blind, I'v just had an unfortunate occurrence, I still appreciate your quick reply and suggestions

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:27 am

If it's not too late, don't get the gears fixed, sell it and dind another. If the gears have been fixed it may be worth looking for a frame only, or buying a bigger frame with worn out gear and switching the better stuff over. Sounds like you have built a few bikes and YouTube and this forum are great for working out how to fix stuff you haven't learnt yet.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:32 am

Eldavo's recommendation is still the best option for you. The bike is probably too small and there's not much you can do.

What sort of problems did the mechanic say you had? Could he have trying to make a sale to a newb who knew no better?

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

choobs

Postby choobs » Wed Jul 29, 2015 9:41 am

I am mildly mechanical and built mostly bmx bikes but worked on the mtb's I was given, it seemed to me that the front deraileur wouldn't move the chain onto the largest front cog, I explained that to the guy but he told me it needed a new rear gearset (which is weird because the plastic thing... that covers that gearset isn't like disolored or dirty like they get when they are old but w/e).

quoted $70-$100 including parts and a service, I figured how can I sell/trade a broken bike & with a recipt for service it would be easier to sell; I think its clear i'm going to loose alot on this lmao.

if all the parts would swap straight over to a larger frame that's something I may struggle with but probably complete... but after getting another frame + this repair... time will tell.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:15 am

I can't imagine a scenario where the front dérailleur's action is influenced by the condition of the rear one. Get a second opinion on that.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:24 am

Depending on how cheap you bought the bike it probably isn't worth getting the service and then selling it.you won't get that money back.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

choobs

Postby choobs » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:31 am

Kalgrm wrote:I can't imagine a scenario where the front dérailleur's action is influenced by the condition of the rear one. Get a second opinion on that.

Cheers,
Graeme
problem was I couldn't get the chain to go onto the largest cog on the front, I followed some youtube tutorials and it didn't work so I took it to the local bike shop,
bychosis wrote:Depending on how cheap you bought the bike it probably isn't worth getting the service and then selling it.you won't get that money back.
people pay money for broken bikes? if the quote of $70-$100 holds true I figured being a brand name bike I might atleast make some of my money back :\

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:47 am

A fair few members on here (possibly most) wouldn't hesitate to buy a bike in need of maintenance, they aren't that hard to fix and buying parts online is easy (and plenty cheaper than local). There are also plenty of people out there that would not know there was anything wrong unless you point it out to them, which it sounds as though you would. You also are in a position to let the potential buyer know what is wrong and offer a quoted price to repair. Being a brand name will help sell it.

As Kalgrm wrote I can't imagine that the rear gears would affect the front to an extent that it would be unworkable. In fact, if the rear gears and chain are worn it is entirely possible that replacing the rear gears may lead to having to replace chain and front gears as well. I'd be asking the LBS to fix the front as well as possible and leave the rear for 'later' then sell the bike.

If you don't mind the asking how much was it and how old/what model? Might change my opinion of the value of the service.

Edit: Out of interest I bought a bike that was a bit small when I first started MTB riding, I should have got the next size up, which may have been a tad large. Wasn't ideal but it worked until I upgraded.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:49 am

choobs wrote:problem was I couldn't get the chain to go onto the largest cog on the front ...
Yep, I understand that much. Why would the rear dérailleur prevent the front dérailleur working? The two act independently.

Perhaps someone from here who lives in Brissy (who doesn't expect to make a sale) could have a look at it for you?

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Jul 29, 2015 10:56 am

bychosis wrote:Out of interest I bought a bike that was a bit small when I first started MTB riding, I should have got the next size up, which may have been a tad large. Wasn't ideal but it worked until I upgraded.
This is a good point too. If you don't feel particularly constricted, ride the bike for a while and have fun.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

choobs

Postby choobs » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:01 am

the more you know... I didn't think it'd be worth anything non-functional and I wouldn't lie and sell someone a dud, I do regret not doing the work myself but I figured it could use a once over/safety check and service (I was eager to have a properly setup bike, we discussed the repair and he let me know it was a 17" frame not 19") I like I said -I figured it'd be worth nothing.

The bike is a Gary Fisher - Paragon, 1998 I believe (black frame, yellow text) I figured it may be collectable someday (saw some one US ebay expensive) so I asked the bike shop guy to keep any parts he replaces, I figured it was worth servicing even

choobs

Postby choobs » Wed Jul 29, 2015 12:35 pm

bike shop called, said that he had "tried to flush the shifters unsuccessfully" and that he would be installing new shifters & I can pick the bike up tomorrow.

the $70 - $100 quote has been raised to "around $110" I'm really trying to be positive and hope its on the up&up, he did mention all my old parts would be included though.

so.... any price I can sell it at for more than "around $110" will be gain on my loss.

life goes on.

choobs

Postby choobs » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:16 pm

man... I thought i'd be riding today; visiting the shop to get it repaired was the first time i'd left the house in 12 days;, I'l get a family member to come with me to pick it up... if they asked me an exorbitant price i'd be upset...
Last edited by choobs on Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:46 pm

The GF Paragon is quite a way away from an average bike back in its day http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike ... el=Paragon" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; even at that age

It's worthy of a better driveline and shifters than what it is likely to have now. Great bike to learn on and with. And at this point I'm not convinced I'd trust the giggling idiot's assessment of its size either.

Ride it yourself - if you are comfortable then it fits.
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Wed Jul 29, 2015 1:58 pm

choobs wrote:... the giggling smirk ...
That bike shop is not the one you are looking for.
---------------------

choobs

Postby choobs » Wed Jul 29, 2015 3:05 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:The GF Paragon is quite a way away from an average bike back in its day http://www.bikepedia.com/quickbike/Bike" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; ... el=Paragon even at that age

It's worthy of a better driveline and shifters than what it is likely to have now. Great bike to learn on and with. And at this point I'm not convinced I'd trust the giggling idiot's assessment of its size either.

Ride it yourself - if you are comfortable then it fits.
I figured it as a good bike in (what I thought was) my size, I was even prepared to get it serviced and running efficiently, if I can deal with the size then GREAT, if not... I know i'l probably take a big loss but someone else will get a freshly serviced bike and that makes me feel a bit better.
Kalgrm wrote:
choobs wrote:... the giggling smirk ...
That bike shop is not the one you are looking for.
yeah... I can see that now, I went in for a bicycle tube for my mums bike (bought her a bike, it had a flat tyre, I needed a new tube) the guy at the bike shop offered to change the tube on the spot for me and was very friendly, they'r local and I like to support local business.

i'd have loved to buy a bike from his shop instead of bringing in a repair, but it is what it is, I did feel pretty embarrassed; glad I turned up 5 mins before opening time.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Jul 29, 2015 11:59 pm

At 6' 1" I'd suggest that even a 19" frame would quite likely be on the too small side for you... If the thing really is a 17" you'd be much better off cutting your losses & selling it in favour of a better-fitting bike.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

toolonglegs

Postby toolonglegs » Thu Jul 30, 2015 2:02 am

How much do you weigh?... if it is a Gary Fisher - Paragon 1998 ( or another other model ... same frame different paint job ) and you are resonably big guy then flick it off asap... especially as it is too small.
I was 85 kgs back in 1998-2000 and I snapped 3 of these in very quick succession ... The final frame took 4 or 5 months to arrive from the US, by which time I had left the country. My mates sold it to another guy who very quickly drove it into the garage on his car roof :lol:
Don't clean it too much... cleaning those frames usually means finding a crack :wink:

choobs

Postby choobs » Thu Jul 30, 2015 7:34 am

Duck! wrote:At 6' 1" I'd suggest that even a 19" frame would quite likely be on the too small side for you... If the thing really is a 17" you'd be much better off cutting your losses & selling it in favour of a better-fitting bike.
you may be right, i'm closer to 6'0 but we typically wear some type of shoe while riding yeah hahah, I didn't mind the idea of something -slightly- smaller so as to move around a bit more (when trail riding I rarely sit) but the length of the frame is probably too short for my lankyness.
toolonglegs wrote:How much do you weigh?... if it is a Gary Fisher - Paragon 1998 ( or another other model ... same frame different paint job ) and you are resonably big guy then flick it off asap... especially as it is too small.
I was 85 kgs back in 1998-2000 and I snapped 3 of these in very quick succession ... The final frame took 4 or 5 months to arrive from the US, by which time I had left the country. My mates sold it to another guy who very quickly drove it into the garage on his car roof :lol:
Don't clean it too much... cleaning those frames usually means finding a crack :wink:
I weigh... less than that (health). if the frame is indeed cracked I wouldn't/couldn't in good conscience sell it knowing it was cracked either... i'd hope the bike shop would find something like that during a service too.

--

before I give up on this bike i'm going to try a bent seat post or something, wouldn't be the first time i'v ridden an unsuitable bike.

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:04 am

I'm 181cm, close enough to 6' in the old coin. I can't remember what size my first proper bike was, I suspect it may have been a 19", but could have been 17". It was definitely smaller than the 21" MTBSO that came before it. I have shorter legs and longer torso so maybe that was why it fitted OK. Now I ride size M or L in MTB depending on the manufacturer. You may be able to get away with your smaller frame, if it feels OK. There is also the possibility that the LBS hasn't measured it and just thinks it is a 17" (although there might be a great big 17" sticker on it making no doubt).

Get it back, give it a try and if it is really too small pass it on.

choobs

Postby choobs » Thu Jul 30, 2015 8:17 am

bychosis wrote:I'm 181cm, close enough to 6' in the old coin. I can't remember what size my first proper bike was, I suspect it may have been a 19", but could have been 17". It was definitely smaller than the 21" MTBSO that came before it. I have shorter legs and longer torso so maybe that was why it fitted OK. Now I ride size M or L in MTB depending on the manufacturer. You may be able to get away with your smaller frame, if it feels OK. There is also the possibility that the LBS hasn't measured it and just thinks it is a 17" (although there might be a great big 17" sticker on it making no doubt).

Get it back, give it a try and if it is really too small pass it on.
Appreciate the advice.

Also big thanks to the forum for your friendly and informative advice, from the research at the end of this I should end up with a decent bike whatever happens so i'l just deal XD