2nd water bottle - Giant Anthem 2009

FuzzyDropbear

2nd water bottle - Giant Anthem 2009

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:46 am

Hi guys,

Currently looking at putting a second bottle on my Anthem for longer rides (I usually carry 1 bottle + camelback at moment) as I've found I've needed the extra bit of water on hot days. Anyway, there are two bolts on the downtube of the Anthem which a mate suggested I utilise for a second water bottle holder, however I always thought it was designed for a bolt on guard as the bottle would likely get covered in dust and muck. Has anyone else mounted a bottle cage on the underside of the downtube?

My other option is to just cable-tie or clamp the bottle cage to the rear of the seat post, or something similar.

Cheerio,

Rob

Mrlinderman

Re: 2nd water bottle - Giant Anthem 2009

Postby Mrlinderman » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:53 am

I've seen people use that for a 2nd bottle, I'm contemplating it myself as there are rides I do where the hydration bag is too much and I really only need two bottles of water to last me the run.
"Hope is not a strategy"
Trek Superfly 21.5 2015 29er

Calvin27

Postby Calvin27 » Tue Feb 10, 2015 11:45 am

Some roadies use the two bottle holder behind the saddle. Not sure how this goes with bump mtb though? Maybe get a bigger camelback?
Heavy road bike
Cushy dirt bike
Very cushy dirt bike
Bike crushed by car (RIP)
No brakes bike
Ebike

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:51 pm

I have a trek y frame MTB which has its only bottle mount under the frame, or a set of clamps that sat on the seatpost. Yes, it does get caked in crud. Being that you will also potentially be caked in crud, wiping a little off before drinking is no big issue and given you have a second bottle space (I didn't) you can switch them over and drink only from the one out of the crud. Another minor but avoidable problem for you is getting your fingers buzzed on the tyre while reaching down on the move.
Bottle holders behind the saddle are known for ejecting the bottle fairly regularly, I'd imagine worse off road. i had to keep checking the one on the back of the trek when I ran it and ended up getting rid of it when I got a camelback.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

silentbutdeadly

Postby silentbutdeadly » Tue Feb 10, 2015 9:19 pm

Know your thirst! Topeak do a double bottle cage adapter that fits on one set of bolts. Also means that you can easily run tall bottles...
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Feb 10, 2015 10:49 pm

I occasionally ride my brothers Trek duallie - bit newer than a y frame, but not much, where the only spot for a bottle is the underside of the downtube. As you suspect it gets covered in dust & muck, especially in the mouthpiece. I am always fairly nervous reaching for it on the move but to date have managed to avoid having my fingers buzzed.

Two options - bladder on the back or get a bottle with a cover. Like bychosis, I went the camelbak bladder
Anything you can do, I can do slower

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Wed Feb 11, 2015 9:27 am

Hmmm, thanks for the input guys, I might start keeping an eye out on a good price for a larger camelback. I'm not a fan of carrying too much on my back when I'm on the bike, but I suppose it weighs less as you drink :)

Finally got the Anthem back on the road last night, so whacked a spare bottle holder on the downtube and went for a good spin and the bottle stayed in pretty well, didn't go nuts because I'd just rebuilt my wheel but I think I'll run it like that for the weekend ride until I can find another camelback. The bottom one did get a bit dusty, but once swapped over when the primary bottle emptied, worked out alright, just gotta pick a less bumpy spot to swap them. :lol:

Mrlinderman

Postby Mrlinderman » Wed Feb 11, 2015 11:59 am

Fuzzy I use the below hydration pack:
http://www.wildearth.com.au

And I'm looking at this one for longer rides:
http://www.this link is broken.au/osprey-raptor-14-mens-hydration-pack
"Hope is not a strategy"

FuzzyDropbear

Postby FuzzyDropbear » Wed Feb 11, 2015 3:01 pm

Thanks mate, I'll check out the Osprey one. My current pack is only 2L, so it doesn't last me a good ride, unless I factor in a stop at a spring or something, which isn't always a bad thing.

Mrlinderman

Postby Mrlinderman » Wed Feb 11, 2015 4:56 pm

sorry mate I posted the wrong one, meant this one: http://www.this link is broken.au/osprey-raptor-10-mens-hydration-pack/

the other one is too big imo, its more for hiking, lots of pockets, the 10 is nice and compact
"Hope is not a strategy"

silentC

Postby silentC » Wed Feb 11, 2015 5:31 pm

I've tried the seat bottle holder when I was bike hiking. They are a pain in the butt, literally. Can't slide off the back of the seat with one of them.

My MTB frame only had the one set of lugs on the down tube. I bought a pair of these: http://www.velogear.com.au/cycling-acce ... -band.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
"If your next bike does not have disc brakes, the bike after that certainly will"
- Me

stinhambo

Postby stinhambo » Mon Feb 08, 2016 1:11 pm

Mrlinderman wrote:sorry mate I posted the wrong one, meant this one: http://www.this link is broken.au/osprey-raptor-10-mens-hydration-pack/

the other one is too big imo, its more for hiking, lots of pockets, the 10 is nice and compact
No one seems to stock these any more.

Chain Reaction - http://www.this link is broken/au/e ... -prod88458" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Wiggle - http://www.this link is broken.au/osprey-raptor- ... tion-pack/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;