26 or 29" Wheel for Sand (To be used on a trailer)

Aushiker

26 or 29" Wheel for Sand (To be used on a trailer)

Postby Aushiker » Sat May 21, 2016 8:09 pm

Is there any advantage going with 26" over 29" (700c touring rim) wheel/tyre or vice versa for sand? This is for setting up on an Extrawheel trailer which I will be using on the Holland Track here in Western Australia which is generally pretty sandy and whilst the ride is scheduled for October, I suspect suspect the sand will be starting to soften up.

Due to the likely lack of water availability I will need to carry probably four to five days of water on the trailer; the rest of my gear goes on the bike, a Salsa Mukluk with 4" rubber.

Also looking at suggestions for as to a suitable tyre for the trailer on this ride. I can go to a maximum 2.4" width according to the trailer specifications.

silentbutdeadly

Re: 26 or 29" Wheel for Sand (To be used on a trailer)

Postby silentbutdeadly » Wed May 25, 2016 1:48 pm

Andrew...26" as you can fit wider rubber for a given diameter. But if you can find and fit a fattish 2.3 to 2.4" 29er tyre then all good.

In 26 then something like the Geax Tattoo http://www.gkasportsstore.com.au/geax-t ... -3781.html but in 29 then anything with low rolling resistance like Geax AKA , Schwalbe Big Apple, or Maxxis Grifter. Pushys has a few options!
Ours is not to reason why...merely to point and giggle

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed May 25, 2016 1:53 pm

26" would lower the centre of gravity slightly improving stability. Tyre width moreso than contact patch length is your friend for sand, so I'd suggest 29" is less advantageous than it would be on the tow bike.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 25, 2016 3:09 pm

silentbutdeadly wrote:Andrew...26" as you can fit wider rubber for a given diameter. But if you can find and fit a fattish 2.3 to 2.4" 29er tyre then all good.

In 26 then something like the Geax Tattoo http://www.gkasportsstore.com.au/geax-t ... -3781.html but in 29 then anything with low rolling resistance like Geax AKA , Schwalbe Big Apple, or Maxxis Grifter. Pushys has a few options!
Most helpful thanks. According to Extrawheel I can go as wide as 2.4". Pity really as the bike is 4"

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 25, 2016 3:11 pm

Duck! wrote:26" would lower the centre of gravity slightly improving stability. Tyre width moreso than contact patch length is your friend for sand, so I'd suggest 29" is less advantageous than it would be on the tow bike.
Generally stability isn't an issue with this trailer, so more contact patch is the best option. I will look at the tyre options and go with whatever offers me the best option in terms of width/low rolling resistance.

Thanks for your help.

mikedufty

Postby mikedufty » Wed May 25, 2016 3:38 pm

Duck! wrote:Tyre width moreso than contact patch length is your friend for sand
Why do you say that? I haven't tried it, but would have thought for the same contact patch area a longer one would be more advantages than a wide one. Should be less resistance to climbing out of a hole/rut, and the contact patch would increase in size faster when sinking in to the sand.

RonK

Postby RonK » Wed May 25, 2016 4:33 pm

Didn't Tom have a prototype fat Extrawheel on the CSR? It may be worth contacting Extrawheel and see if you can get one.

You probably already know you need the big hook to fit around fat tyres.

The load is going to be going to be around 30kg on the trailer. The wheel will need to be strong. If you can't go fat, a tubeless setup may let you run at a fairly low pressure.

Schwalbe has recently released the tubeless ready Schwalbe Big One which is designed for beach use and is available in 29x2.35 and 27.5(650B)x2.35. It has their lowest ever rolling resistance - verified by BicycleRollingResistance.

Also I'd suggest you take a leaf out of Rifraf's book and build up a wheel with a dynamo hub.

Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Wed May 25, 2016 8:46 pm

A wide 40mm+ rim for that 2.35 Big One will help square the profile at lower pressure for the sand suiting tubeless, for whatever largest diameter rim you can fit.

Regarding contact patch above, think of skis/tanks/snow mobile tracks. Much longer than they are wide. Width with sidewall profile for pneumatic tyres allows lower pressures to flatten the curved tyre to give you more like a flat track.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Wed May 25, 2016 11:24 pm

RonK wrote:Didn't Tom have a prototype fat Extrawheel on the CSR? It may be worth contacting Extrawheel and see if you can get one.
I don't believe so. They used Extracycle type setups IIRC
You probably already know you need the big hook to fit around fat tyres.
Yep. That is a separate issue, a bike connection issue
The load is going to be going to be around 30kg on the trailer. The wheel will need to be strong. If you can't go fat, a tubeless setup may let you run at a fairly low pressure.
Trailer is rated to 35 kg ...
Schwalbe has recently released the tubeless ready Schwalbe Big One which is designed for beach use and is available in 29x2.35 and 27.5(650B)x2.35. It has their lowest ever rolling resistance - verified by BicycleRollingResistance.

Also I'd suggest you take a leaf out of Rifraf's book and build up a wheel with a dynamo hub.
Thanks for the heads-up on the tyre. I have a 26" wheel with dynamo so would be using that if I went 26". If I go 29" I can use the front wheel of the Surly, which is also a dynamo hub.

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Thu May 26, 2016 3:40 am

My experience of cycling on sand is that low tyre pressures are key to float. The larger the volume the lower the pressure you will be able to run.

When I was researching trailers for water carrying in the middle eastern desert the guy who did the stock canning route came up. He manages to adapt an extra wheel type trailer to take a 26x4(ish) tyre that matched his pugsly. This was the ideal solution in my mind. I was looking at options for a 5inch version to tow behind my moonlander but it never came to fruition

Having an extra wheel with tyre and rim compatibility also makes a lot of sense
NOT sent from tapatalk

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu May 26, 2016 8:43 am

RonK wrote:Didn't Tom have a prototype fat Extrawheel on the CSR? It may be worth contacting Extrawheel and see if you can get one.
I went back and checked and you are right; Scott had the prototype fat Extrawheel. I had forgotten about his setup being more familiar with what Tom and Sarah are riding.

I might flick an email off to Extrawheel to see what ever happened with the fatbike idea.