26ers are they dead and buried?

NASHIE

Re: 26ers are they dead and buried?

Postby NASHIE » Sun Oct 02, 2016 3:55 pm

cranky-1 wrote:Yes I can well understand you wanting to stay with the 26 NACHIE, as I say I'm still in love with the Giant I bought brand new and will never part with it. Shines up looking like new when I clean her :D . Also it was mentioned about hard rubbish, I manage to pick up an old Giant iguana 640 the other day. Old skool made up of 4130 chro mo its a sweet looking old thing in candy apple red. I can feel a 26 tourer coming out of that one. :D
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/z0s_U ... 11-h484-no
Both your bike's sound nice and bring back memories of my first MTB that i bought with my first (real) pay check about 25 yrs ago. It was a candy apple red Giant Sedona. Absolutely loved that bike, paint was so thick it still looked like new after 4-5 yrs.......until some lowlife stole it from the back verandah......wish i still that bike :cry:

cranky-1

Postby cranky-1 » Sun Oct 02, 2016 4:38 pm

Sedona's are Awesome bikes. And yes I know about Stolen bikes I had a Giant Boulder lovely bike, left it at the DESK yes Front COUNTER DESK with a stupid sheila at SAFEWAY. Ask her to watch it while got my sick old father a tin of favourite soup. Paid for it and came to the desk and yep-it was gone. Ask this dopey bird where it was and her reply was you picked it up didn't you. FFS was so cut up about it. :(

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Sun Oct 02, 2016 5:01 pm

and just to prove, no not dead... 26ers are all great

Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Sun Oct 02, 2016 11:20 pm

Fast but not so nimble, I'm happy to stick with the littlies until they can sort that AND make a frame my short little legs will be happy with
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

koshari

Postby koshari » Mon Oct 03, 2016 9:10 am

Nobody wrote:26ers are dead when they stop making tires for the type of riding you want to do with them. Somehow I think that might be far longer than many realize.
given you can still find new 650a/26 x 1 3/8 tires i agree you may see then cruising round for some time yet.

cranky-1

Postby cranky-1 » Mon Oct 03, 2016 11:21 am

mikgit wrote:and just to prove, no not dead... 26ers are all great

MMMMMMMM Yes Very Nice-drool drool. :D

rangersac

Postby rangersac » Mon Oct 03, 2016 4:40 pm

Depends on your trail for mine. I have two duallies, one a 100/110mm 29er and one a 130mm 26er. On tight, twisty, technical rough stuff, the 26er wins hands down and is a blast heading downhill. On the other hand, whilst not so good when things get hectic, the 29er is far better at climbing and mile munching for long courses.
De Rosa Macro | Intense Primer | Wayward Cape York | Cotic Rocket

ForkinGreat

Postby ForkinGreat » Mon Oct 03, 2016 6:50 pm

cranky-1 wrote:Hi All
I ride a roadie around locally to do things like shop and go a couple of suburb's away as well as some real long distance rides.
Anyway I have a pretty nice Giant MTB which I started on a few years before the Road bike. As of last few months I have been doing some pretty heavy duty and distance on my MTB and have become quite fond of it again.
There is a hard Rubbish collection been on in the area and if I had a dollar for each old 26in I saw well. Its to be added that I'm riding a 26 and just would be interested in finding out weather it really is old and dead or do many of you still ride 26in with regularity, I would just like to gauge.
Thanks
Marketers and bike shops would have you believe 26ers are dead. Only because they want to sell you new 650b/27.5 or 29er bikes.

Banshee bikes manufactures Rune and Spitfire frames that come with both 26er and 650b dropouts. I was riding a Specialized 2008 Enduro 26er. I upgraded the 26er wheels and fork, and was able to put them on my Rune frame (all-mountain/enduro) when I wanted to move the Specialized on.

There are LOTS of 26er tyres still manufactured and sold, as well as factory made wheelsets, rims and 26er suspension forks.

Suspension Forks with a straight steerer are getting harder to come by, but you can still buy 26er forks with tapered steerer tubes.

If you aren't racing elite XC, it doesn't matter a damn what wheel size you have. lots of decent 26er bikes and parts on the 2nd hand market.

for dirt jumps, tight technical trails and gravity trails & DH , 26 rules.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krrINXCwdM8

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:38 am

ForkinGreat wrote: Marketers and bike shops would have you believe 26ers are dead. Only because they want to sell you new 650b/27.5 or 29er bikes.
From the bike shops' perspective it's very much a forced position. The manufacturers, for better or worse, have decided that to a very large extent the bike buying public can't have 26" anymore. Yes, spare parts are still reasonably readily available, but in terms of new bikes, the shops can't sell what they can't get.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

ForkinGreat

Postby ForkinGreat » Tue Oct 04, 2016 10:26 am

Duck! wrote:
ForkinGreat wrote: Marketers and bike shops would have you believe 26ers are dead. Only because they want to sell you new 650b/27.5 or 29er bikes.
From the bike shops' perspective it's very much a forced position. The manufacturers, for better or worse, have decided that to a very large extent the bike buying public can't have 26" anymore. Yes, spare parts are still reasonably readily available, but in terms of new bikes, the shops can't sell what they can't get.
Yes, I agree. it is a forced position. If you want a new complete 26er bike, in Australia, generally you are SOL.

on the other hand, if a person doesn't like paying RRP, and maybe buying a 2nd hand frame/bike, or buying a bike OS or getting one made (or Banshee :) ), then there is a lot still available.

http://www.this link is broken/au/en/s?q=26&f=2258

http://www.this link is broken/cycle/mtb/components/?s=26

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=krrINXCwdM8

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Tue Oct 04, 2016 11:02 am

Duck! wrote:
Hi Duck,
My wife is a shorty and loves her little USA made Breezer with an 8 speed Alfine set up.

Are they now just going to come out with the same frames in 700 size wheels just for economies of manufacturing scale? I would have thought there would always be a place for the smaller wheels.
I mean it that's the case we may as well give up on kids sizes as well.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

bychosis

Postby bychosis » Tue Oct 04, 2016 12:52 pm

outnabike wrote:Are they now just going to come out with the same frames in 700 size wheels just for economies of manufacturing scale? I would have thought there would always be a place for the smaller wheels.
Economies of scale is a big joke. They need to manufacture different types of rims for different types of riding anyway, strong for off road, average for hybrids and lightweight/aero for on road. And their original argument for going 29er (700c) for mountain bikes (same as roadies) has gone out the window with 27.5 anyway.
bychosis (bahy-koh-sis): A mental disorder of delusions indicating impaired contact with a reality of no bicycles.

cranky-1

Postby cranky-1 » Tue Oct 04, 2016 3:51 pm

I know the old 4130 Chromo Frame 26 I found and have done up absolutely flies down back streets and paths. Had chunky old 2.10 tyres on with the mud tread. Now I have maxis overdrives in 26x1.75 and I can say it is a lovely ride around town. Smooth and very very quick.
As a sideline I see Beach cruiser tyres kicking around cheap at Big W I think.
Are you able to use them on an around town MTB ? Obviously not for trails.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Tue Oct 04, 2016 7:17 pm

outnabike wrote: Are they now just going to come out with the same frames in 700 size wheels just for economies of manufacturing scale? I would have thought there would always be a place for the smaller wheels.
No, it's not just a matter of subbing bigger wheels in the same frames; the geometry needs to be revised in order to make the bigger wheels fit, especially as frames get smaller. Sections of frames, such as rear stays are common across all sizes of a given frame, they just change the dropout lugs to reposition the seat stays at higher or lower angles to suit the size. In the case of dual suspension bikes, the whole rear end including linkages is shared across all sizes.

Most of it is mucketing guff; they've decided that enough of the bike buying public have been sucked in by the bigger is better mantra, or that it's the latest new thing everyone has to have, so that's what they're all running with.

Economiy of scale possibly plays into it a little bit, which is why it's very rare (but has happened) to see different wheel sizes on different size frames within a model line. The rim diameter might be the same for road, hybrid & 29" MTB, but that's where the similarity ends, so it's not like they can buy rims by the million & stick the same ones in every bike in the range. The comment about kids' bikes is a pretty wide shot, because it's simply not possible to fit adult-sized wheels in kid-sized frames, therefore kids' bikes won't depart from the size progression that currently exists.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

hedgehog

Postby hedgehog » Wed Oct 05, 2016 10:46 pm

trying to kill 26 inch with 29rs didn't work so they came up with 27.5=650b
650b is not new but old.its only 1.25cm in radius more than 26 inch.low shot
from the main bicycle industry in my opinion.
why should i buy a new bike when its still got spoked wheels and chain drive?
for how we may think bicycles have improved they are still old under thous two aspects
in my opinion.and by the way,what about crome alloy frame?all we got as new is mild steel
aluminium and carbon fibre.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Thu Oct 06, 2016 12:22 am

Still makers pumping out quality Fe but none of the bigger brands.

My R631 Voodoo Wanga hardtail is a joy to ride
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

cranky-1

Postby cranky-1 » Thu Oct 06, 2016 1:50 pm

Eww yeah-I hear ya. :D

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Thu Oct 06, 2016 6:03 pm

I've got my next bike picked out, on the assumption I'll ever be able to afford another bike, Seven 622m slx, 26 but with a straight downtube (Since I'd never trust myself to actually ride a Raleigh Tomac or Nuke Proof Ti/Carbon, that new my dream bike).

Now wheres my winning lotto ticket...?
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Jash Rider

Postby Jash Rider » Fri Oct 07, 2016 5:30 pm

A while ago I test rode a 29er. Handled like soggy weet-bix. Settled on a 27.5 as it handled almost as well as my old 26 inch.

I like the 26 inch format as it's almost like riding a large bmx. With riser bars and some 2.5 inch tyres, there's almost nothing you can't do on a 26 inch bike.

mitzikatzi

Postby mitzikatzi » Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:17 pm

hedgehog

Postby hedgehog » Fri Oct 14, 2016 7:33 pm

i recon like me some of us a buying cheap 26 incher bikes ,30 years of this mtb size wheel
is going to be hard too kill.strong adult size wheel,just the right size to be punished in tight corners
and jumped down cliffs,i recon its a safe size for the most demanding Adrenalin junky.
iv bought a second hand 650b mtb for $50 about 2 years old,hydo disk brakes and taperd head stearer.
not much chain drive wear at all.in my opinion if the industry wants wider diameter wheels,it should
improve the strength of rim material and quality of true.a $600 mtb with the wheels buckled not in premature
way but in a dangerous way.i think in my opinion for a beginner is a bad experience that will ride them away
from cycling.in my opinion i think the industry should think safety first and marketing money second,it could
work better for them in the long term.

singlespeedscott

Postby singlespeedscott » Sun Oct 16, 2016 10:09 pm

I think the 26" wheel is dead for performance MTB but there is still a demand in the touring community.

For fast XC the current crop of 29er XC race weapons cannot be beaten by a 26" wheeled bike when using 2.2" tyres.

For general trail riding I think the consumer is better off using the current crop of 650b plus sized trail bikes. Roll over is as good as a 29er in the rough stuff and cornering grip is is in another realm. The move to long and slack trail geometry also gives you a lot more confidence in fast rough stuff. However I have to admit I am not a huge fan of the huge wheel flop associated with this geometry when slowly grinding up twisty stuff.

Bentnose

Postby Bentnose » Sat Oct 29, 2016 6:31 pm

I still have my 26" steel On One from 2011 and have no intention of replacing it anytime soon. The only problem I do have have with it is the seatpost is stuck in the frame but I keep everything else in tip top shape and so far have had no issues with parts, eg forks rear wheel and tyres have all been replaced in the last couple of years with high end components. When I can no longer buy good race quality XC tyres and forks when they wear out, I'll have to move on, wouldn't know what wheel size to get next though, I would just be guessing.
No signature

Nobody

Postby Nobody » Mon Oct 31, 2016 9:51 am

singlespeedscott wrote:I think the 26" wheel is dead for performance MTB but there is still a demand in the touring community.
Also anyone who is very heavy (150kg+) I'd tend to recommend 26" with a high spoke count.
singlespeedscott wrote:For fast XC the current crop of 29er XC race weapons cannot be beaten by a 26" wheeled bike when using 2.2" tyres.

For general trail riding I think the consumer is better off using the current crop of 650b plus sized trail bikes. Roll over is as good as a 29er in the rough stuff and cornering grip is is in another realm.
Thanks for posting.
This confirms my thoughts from what I've read and 27+ probably best suits what I do these days if I were to buy new. However my 26" using 2.2" tyres is probably also fine for many years to come as I'm not particular. Since I still ride rigid too.

Usernoname

Postby Usernoname » Mon Oct 31, 2016 11:47 am

singlespeedscott wrote:I think the 26" wheel is dead for performance MTB but there is still a demand in the touring community.

For fast XC the current crop of 29er XC race weapons cannot be beaten by a 26" wheeled bike when using 2.2" tyres.

For general trail riding I think the consumer is better off using the current crop of 650b plus sized trail bikes. Roll over is as good as a 29er in the rough stuff and cornering grip is is in another realm. The move to long and slack trail geometry also gives you a lot more confidence in fast rough stuff. However I have to admit I am not a huge fan of the huge wheel flop associated with this geometry when slowly grinding up twisty stuff.
I've recently moved from an '11 Epic 26er to a 27.5+ HT. Great fun bike and rolls over chatter soooo much better than 26". It's got 3" tires so yes bit a slog. 2.8's are probably better suited to general trail riding, but with this model it would drop the BB to an unacceptable level. It can take 29" wheels and will probably get a set with 2.2 tires for longer rides. One of main reasons to move on was I just couldn't get the tires I like anymore (and a good deal going on the + bike). Still have an old '07 26" HT and will keep it going for commuter etc.
Aus motorists are safe to kill a cyclist at any time & confident that they will be protected from any serious penalties.