Epic Build

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Sun Feb 03, 2008 2:44 pm

G'day Senator,

Yeah, I've heard people say the same thing, and I guess the way some people ride, they'd be correct about the width of the B17 (mine...). I'm a XC rider so I rarely need to hang off the back of the saddle, but I can do so if I need to. However, since I am known to go on longer rides, the Brooks is ideal for me - no sore arse from those skinny little plastic wedges that most favour!

If the width is bothering you, Brooks do offer thinner saddles than the B17. Too slippery? What do they want: an armchair? Just get off the saddle when the bumps dictate. I've never felt I was going to slide off mine ....

Don't ask me how they handle day-after-day of wet and muddy conditions. I've ridden for an hour in soaking rain without a problem, but I usually don't ride when it's wet and muddy (this is Perth, remember! :)) I use the Proofide wax they supply to keep the saddle in good nick.

Cheers,
Graeme
Think outside the double triangle.
---------------------
Music was better when ugly people were allowed to make it ....

Hawkeye

Postby Hawkeye » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:29 pm

Kalgrm wrote:Just for the sake of clarification: you are saying rebound is three quarters away from being fully damped on the front and 3-4 clicks away from being fully damped on the rear. Correct?

And how many clicks do you have between fully damped and no damping on the rear? (In other words, what percentage of damping is "3-4 clicks"?) Your clicks and mine might not be the same.

Cheers,
Graeme

(PS - I guess I should go back to the books I've got and re-read them now that my bike has rear sus.)
Sorry for the slow response. :oops:

Front: correct. However, being a Lefty Max, damping is pretty light to start with due to the complete absence of stiction from o-rings. If you're unsure, err on the fast side.

Rear: I'd need to check, but let's call it 25% off full slow. If it's a Fox you've got I'd expect it to be roughly similar to mine. If in doubt, err on the slow side (ie opposite to front). A good starting point is as follows: when riding off a streetside kerb it should dip once only without "pogo-ing". Idea: ease the rebound off until it pogos and then go back one or two?

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Feb 05, 2008 2:53 pm

Ta J.R.
---------------------

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:45 pm

Got no rear shock on my epic at the minute, managed to kill it in under 400kms :(

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Feb 05, 2008 5:47 pm

Bummer! What happened?
---------------------

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Tue Feb 05, 2008 6:49 pm

About the 300k mark following a ride I noticed the rubber o ring had been pushed over the end of the shock body, and was hanging around the attachment bolt. Had been at the local track, so knew it gets know where near that normally. Checked the sag and it was about twice what it should be, re set it and it seemed good. After a ride with GF and a race it was still fine, but, after a 3 hour ride the other day, there was quite a bit of oil all around the shock, and running down the seat stay.

Being the new specialized shock, apparently it has to be sent to Melbourne for repair, as they're the only people who are allowed to touch them for warrantys. :(

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:02 pm

Being the new specialized shock, apparently it has to be sent to Melbourne for repair ....
And so the decline of Specialized as a force in the industry begins ..... :roll:

Using proprietary components is going to send consumers to other makers, who offer bikes with an after market parts option. We all suffer upgraditis, but Specialized doesn't seem to understand.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:59 pm

Yep its totally bloody stupid and annoying, but I'm hoping it won't be getting sent away again, so I'm putting it down to one of those things. However, a few experiences I've read about the specialized shock lately, I've got my fingers crossed, hidden behind my back :wink:

Bnej

Postby Bnej » Tue Feb 05, 2008 9:33 pm

Kalgrm wrote:Using proprietary components is going to send consumers to other makers, who offer bikes with an after market parts option. We all suffer upgraditis, but Specialized doesn't seem to understand.
I did think about that the other day, how you get a Giant and you get largely interchangeable and upgradeable forks & shocks, whereas with a Specialized you're reliant on having their particular shock configuration. Same with some models of Scott MTBs now too I think.

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Tue Feb 05, 2008 10:44 pm

Yep, Scott have been using homegrown rear shocks for a while now.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:54 pm

Spoke to the LBS when I was getting a new tube today. Specialized posted out a new shock soon as the shop spoke to them, so I won't have to wait for the one I broke to be fixed. Should be back on it again a lot sooner than expected :D

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Fri May 09, 2008 5:50 pm

MTB World Cup Report wrote: As it turns out, one of the biggest pieces of news didn't even involve anything we saw but rather something that was said (or more specifically, wasn't denied). Given the progression of Specialized's recent mountain bike product development over the past few years, it doesn't take a genius to figure that the short-travel Epic cross country race platform is next in line for a redesign and what that change might include.

Swiss powerhouse Christoph Sauser was coy when we asked him about the possibility of an all new Epic but the smile was arguably all we needed to know. As expected, the new bike is expected to use the same basic suspension architecture as the current Stumpjumper design with its rocker link and centrally located shock (current Epic shocks are placed on the non-driveside seat stay). Also as we guessed, the bike will probably come with Specialized's own house-brand fork which is sure to include a more firmly tuned version of the Brain inertia valve technology found on the Stumpjumper. We'll have to wait until next month to see if these rumours hold true but we'd be surprised if they don't.

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Fri May 16, 2008 5:20 pm

On the Specialized website (recently released)
Specialized website wrote:
Dear Specialized Rider,

The FutureShock Performance Guarantee (FSPG) is quite simple - Specialized will stand behind the materials and workmanship of any Specialized branded fork or rear shock for a full five years.

We are launching this industry-leading program because at Specialized we hold ourselves to extremely high standards. Our bikes and equipment must stand up to the use of riders who tax the limits. We are dedicated to exceeding your expectations in both quality and performance.

If the original purchaser is not completely satisfied with the material or workmanship of a FutureShock suspension fork or AFR Shock, Specialized will repair or replace it at Specialized's option for a period of five years from the original purchase date.

We've got your back.

WHO

# Every original purchaser of any FutureShock suspension fork or AFR Shock rear shock.

# WHAT

If, within five years of the purchase date, any original purchaser is not completely satisfied with the material or workmanship of their FutureShock or AFR Shock, Specialized will repair or replace it (at Specialized's option). This FSPG excludes damage due to a crash or abuse, and ordinary wear and tear from use.*

# HOW

Riders need only bring their bike to an authorized Specialized retailer.
# Specialized will either repair or replace the suspension component, and credit the dealer for any required labor charges.
# If the problem or concern stems from a lack of service, crash or abuse, or if the concern is found to be a result of normal use, any service performed will the responsibility of the consumer.

# WHEN

The FSPG is in effect now.
Last edited by Deanj on Fri May 16, 2008 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Fri May 16, 2008 5:34 pm

.... at Specialized's option ....

Maybe I'm too cynical.

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------

Deanj

Postby Deanj » Fri May 16, 2008 6:09 pm

I got the link for it from the MTBR website. In one of the threads a Specialized suspension technician is posting and talking to guys about their bikes and any problems.

Kalgrm
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Kalgrm » Mon May 19, 2008 2:02 am

needsapush wrote:I got the link for it from the MTBR website. In one of the threads a Specialized suspension technician is posting and talking to guys about their bikes and any problems.
That's fantastic news. I'm always amazed that more companies don't do this very thing. It's the best form of marketing around. It has the added benefit of allowing the manufacturers direct access to the people who are using their product so they can match their product to their clients' needs/wants.

I'm still a cynic though! ;)

Cheers,
Graeme
---------------------