New MTB for heavy rider

Big Jase

New MTB for heavy rider

Postby Big Jase » Mon Feb 29, 2016 7:28 pm

Hey all.

I posted a similar post in the buying forum. I've narrowed a new bike down to a mtb as I'm rather a large bloke and it would better suit my needs. I'm 6'5, 170kgs, and I want to get fit and lose weight. I went into my LBS today, had a chat to the salesperson, she hinted at the fact that finding a bike might be difficult, however with the right combination of parts, any bike would work well. I was told that air shocks on the front would be beneficial, as it can be strengthened to my weight. Is there anything else I should be on the lookout for on a bike, and any recommendations as to what bike/frame/components would be beneficial to me in this. Thanks for the help guys, muchly appreciated. Also if someone knows any LBS on the Gold Coast who are reliable and helpful.

Jason

toolonglegs

Re: New MTB for heavy rider

Postby toolonglegs » Mon Feb 29, 2016 9:28 pm

Not too tall but a heavy unit :)
Get big arse tyres as they will take a lot of the impact forces off the components.
I don't know your budget but personally I would be going a hardtail ... no matter how hard you pumped up a rear shock you would still be getting "bob" which is just wasted energy.
Also a steel frame would be the go... if you go alloy frame go for a solid one. Carbon while great is usually built as light as possible... it's a pity "heavy" but strong carbon frames are hard to find.
Probably look at getting some strong wheels / rims.
Air fork... meh, my spring fork is bloody solid and adjustable, certainly more adjustable at the heavy end of things ... but that really dépends where you are riding.
Ride on!

Fetseun

Postby Fetseun » Tue Mar 01, 2016 11:42 am

Agree with above, steel or Ali hardtail frame seen as you're new to riding and dropping weight on the bike isn't in your interest.

inwould just buy a bike within your budget and focus on the bike with the best wheel set. So possibly a bike trail bike as appears to a xc bike. The more relaxed position and stronger build will help.

I'm 106 and I generally destroy a standard rear wheel pretty sharpish. So I have a higher quality wheel set that I normally swap out to any new bike I buy. But then again, if your just looking to get out and ride fire roads and get fitness in, you should be fine. You won't be abusing the bikes like somebody that's been riding for a while. Even though you weigh more. Just keep then maintained and you'll be fine. And any half decent trail bike is pretty strong these days.

So as you improve you can improve on components.

Big Jase

Postby Big Jase » Wed Mar 02, 2016 10:10 pm

Looking mainly to stick to paved roads. At this time, I spoke to my lbs and they said at my weight I would destroy a bike doing much else than road riding, which is fine. I'm not fussed about speed or how far I go, just the ride and some time on the road, outside of the lazy mobile (car). What sort of wheels would I aim for that are heavy duty? I heard 36 spoke wheels are probably the better choice.

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Mar 03, 2016 12:08 am

Check out River City Cycles. I don't know the area brizvegas to gold coast but they're worth a trip. I started following them via the fatbikes downunder FB group. Owner of shop Troy had 20 or 25yr shop anniversary recently. He's currently in Alaska riding Iditarod invitational. RonK recently posted a recommendation for checking them out, so nothing more needs to be said :D Troy is a HED certified wheel builder, got the first FAT CAAD1 lefty fatbike in the country and became their brand ambassador.

Fat bikes have exploded, quality options are plentiful and cheap if you can resist the goodies, everything about the wheel size, low pressure comfort and ease on wheels, bonus opening the door to short distance high workout beach/river sand riding ticks boxes for you.
I consider them a great beginner MTB. You can go skinnier and faster in time as you drop riding weight if the n+1 bike bug bites, but fast light mass produced XC bikes meet joe average needs to a price, and the advice given by sales is right within the conventional box of typucal MTB. Fatbikes smahes that box like a monster truck shooting NOS flames.

If you're on FB check out fatbikesdownunder and post same original query.
https://www.facebook.com/groups/252879411466001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:13 pm

As much as I'm not a fan, I'd also sugest a fatbike, full rigid steel with those big tyres, probably have some fun.

As others said, steel hard tail is the way to go.

As to forks, I'm ~105 depending, and on every fork I have, the weight ranges go up to like 95 or 100kg, then once its to that limit, every thing above is the same pressure for air forks. You can't pump them up infinately for your weight, they'll fail at a seal. So I'd say better ioff with a coil spring fork and put in the strongest spring you can...or go full rigid. If you are mostly riding easy stuff to start, a rigid will do you fine (and is also a lot of fun sometimes).
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:20 pm

Loathe to share this site, but it has Arnie on fat bike.
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/ar ... trick.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

koshari

Postby koshari » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:36 pm

Do any of the fatbikes come with gears?

eldavo

Postby eldavo » Thu Mar 03, 2016 4:40 pm

Yeah lots, the market now is just like MTB for choices and price range, except with fat tyres, and suspension is only warranted if riding at speed on rough stuff for front control, not needed for comfort or traction in most average user conditions with rigid. Better than crappy suspension. Small chainring gearing, spin to win.

Big Jase

Postby Big Jase » Fri Mar 04, 2016 8:08 am

Alright a fat bike, they do look insanely fun to ride. Also the extra friction would make me work harder on the road too. Would I need to worry about stronger wheels in that case, or are those built to take a beating?

ianganderton

Postby ianganderton » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:11 am

Any half decent 32 hole mountain bike wheels will be fine on the road. Consider the beating they take off road

I'm a big fan of fatbikes but I'd consider one with caution for you. The resistance and extra work they will give will sure increase the exercise but could reduce the fun too. I'd suggest cycling is much more efficient as an exercise when it's fun because you'll do a lot more of it. This is certainly true for me. I don't go to the gym, too lazy, no fun. I can spend hours a week cycling though, loads of fun.

Look at the Surly mountain bike (and fat bike) options. They only use steel in their frames and are built to last.

I wouldn't bother with a suspension fork if you are using it on the road. Waste of money and weight plus difficult to tune correctly for a big lad. Surly have rigid forks to suit.

Being a big lad you are going to have plenty of pressure on your contact points (saddle and grips). Make sure you try plenty of bikes around the car park to find the right fit for you.

If I was recommending you a bike to get you started I'd suggest a surly 29er steel fully rigid mountain bike or touring bike (designed to carry weight) with 2 inch (or bigger) slick tyres. Quality big disc brakes (there is plenty needs stopping). Good saddle, ergon grips.
Double chain ring mountain bike groupset (36/22 at front and 11-36 rear)

If you wanted a fatbikes look at the 4 inch wheel sets on either a pugsly or ICT. Bear in mind that unusual tyres are more difficult to get and are expensive.

Lastly build a bike you'll love. You'll spend a lot more time riding it
NOT sent from tapatalk

koshari

Postby koshari » Fri Mar 04, 2016 9:20 am

I like the suggestion of a steel tourer. As mentioned they are designed to take weight and it will be a bike for life.

Howzat

Postby Howzat » Fri Mar 04, 2016 11:07 am

Lots of good advice above. I'm with koshari and ian... a steel-framed tourer like the Surly or Vivente world randonneur will be a solid bike, great for all kind of cycling. It'll go fast as you want and take you any place you want to go.

The speed and handling difference between a steel tourer and a whiz-bang carbon-framed bike is actually pretty marginal, certainly so for bigger riders. It's the faster guys in the social bunch I ride with who bring out the steelies for a bit of fun.

Tourers also tend to hold their value, which you'll see you try to buy one second hand. Plus it won't look out of place on the road, in the park, or at the cafe.

Big Jase

Postby Big Jase » Sat Mar 05, 2016 12:20 am

Thanks for the help guys. I'll keep all of this in my head the next time I go into one of my LBS. Just need a day off work to get into one.

anthbear

Postby anthbear » Thu Oct 25, 2018 9:44 pm

How did you go with the bike or wheels for a heavier person?