Trance 1 x Conversion

Uba Tracker

Trance 1 x Conversion

Postby Uba Tracker » Tue Jun 05, 2018 9:53 pm

Hey guys, I'm in the midst of converting my 2015 Trance Advance 2 to a 1 x 10 using an Absolute Black 30t oval chain ring and a Sunrace 11 - 46t cassette. The standard Sram X.9 med cage RD doesn't quite swing away far enough to clear low gear on the cassette so I'm considering using either a derailleur extender OR switching to an 11 speed RD. There may be other solutions that I'm unaware of so any suggestions more than welcome. :D
A bad day's riding beats a good day's work everytime

Duck!
Expert

Re: Trance 1 x Conversion

Postby Duck! » Tue Jun 05, 2018 10:32 pm

I don't know of any 10-sp. derailleurs that will fit under a 46T without a "goat link" hanger extender, although the Shimano M6000 Deore might come close, being officially rated to a 42T max, but sharing a lot of its architecture with the 11-sp. family (which has the capacity for 46T), while working on the 10-sp. cable pull ratio. This will of course mean changing to a Shimano shifter as well, because of, again, different cable pull ratios, although Shimano & SRAM are a lot closer in 10-sp. than anything prior, so may work to an OK level. As far as I'm aware, SRAM 10-sp. maxes out at 36T, although you might be able to fudge it with a road/CX 1x11 derailleur, which shares its pull ratio with 10-sp, while MTB 11-sp. is different.
I had a thought, but it got run over as it crossed my mind.

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Wed Jun 06, 2018 8:23 pm

Thanks Duck, I've ordered a Wolftooth extender knockoff, so I'll try that first as that's the cheapest option. I'm not averse to switching to Shimano, but as you rightly pointed out a new shifter would need to be sourced as well. I'm naively hoping the Sram 11 speed MTB derailleur will provide adequate clearance if the X9 10speed plus extender doesn't cut the Mustard.

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Wed Jun 06, 2018 11:12 pm

11-sp. will likely do it, as they're designed with 42T sprockets in mind, and there's usually a bit of tolerance to go beyond the official maximum, but like I said, you'll need to use a road/CX 1x model in order to get the correct cable pull ratio; SRAM 10-sp, both road and MTB, + road 11-sp. use a slightly faster pull ratio than any of their other stuff, so only work in their own little group. A Force 1 derailleur will be prretty close in spec to X9, and compatible with both your 10-sp. shifter and a 42T rear sprocket.

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Thu Jun 07, 2018 11:31 am

Thanks Duck, great info there. Just thinking out loud, if I was to ditch all the Sram transmission and use a Shimano shifting setup, what would be your recommendation? - bearing in mind that I looking more at midrange gear price wise :wink:

Duck!
Expert

Postby Duck! » Thu Jun 07, 2018 7:28 pm

I'd recommend 3x10 for the best mix of total gear range and good progression between gears.... :-P

But if you're set on 1x, 11-sp. is a better option for balancing the gear spread and not leaving holes you can drive a truck through, especially if you're wanting to go beyond the normal gear range. Shimano SLX is pretty damn good for a mid-range set. You'd need shifter, derailleur. chain & cassette, and the chainring you're going to get anyway & just bung on your current crank.

Uba Tracker

Postby Uba Tracker » Fri Jun 08, 2018 10:50 am

Hey Duck, thanks a bunch mate. I've already bought and fitted the 10 speed 11 - 46t cassette so I'm kinda committed now, probably should have asked around before shelling out coin, but that's hindsight for ya. I'll give the little hanger widget a go and see where that leads me.