Goggles

Mububban

Goggles

Postby Mububban » Mon Sep 17, 2018 7:07 pm

I've just ordered a dual sus MTB and plan to learn jumps and start riding more advanced trails as my skills (hopefully) improve. As such I'm investing in a basic full face helmet, but the LBS doesn't stock goggles.

Are goggles the go or can I still wear normal safety glasses? Where I ride (Perth) does get extremely dry and dusty in summer so I imagine a full face will be horrifically hot and sweaty - will this make goggles fog up?

I find glasses a very personal fit. Are goggles more forgiving if ordering online? eg
https://www.mountainbikesdirect.com.au/ ... kw=goggles

I currently wear hardware store safety glasses to give you an idea of how budget and fashion conscious I am, I'm not looking to spend hundreds if not necessary :)
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

mikgit

Re: Goggles

Postby mikgit » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:37 pm

I wore goggles when I raced DH (and a full face helmet), but since I don't do that anymore, I just wear normal helmet and sunnies.
Personal preferance, I guess, but i'd only be using that gear if I was doing pretty full on riding.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

mikgit

Postby mikgit » Tue Sep 18, 2018 5:39 pm

also googles... you don't have to worry so much about fit as they don't interface much with your head, they go on your helmet.
Fat Chance Yo Eddy 2.2, Intense Sniper XC Pro, Look 675, Cervelo R3, GT Xizang, GT Zaskar, Yeti ARC, DiamondBack Apex

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Wed Sep 26, 2018 11:19 am

I bought a Fox Proframe helmet, which fits my current riding glasses in between the foam padding. So I'll leave off the goggles for now, but someone gave me the tip of going to a motorbike store and buying moto goggles for $30-$50 rather than from a bike shop where they seem to cost $50-$100.

Not sure if there are any design and ventilation differences between a hot sweaty rider going slowly uphill with minimal airflow vs someone on a powered motorbike moving quickly through the air, but the guy who gave me the tip reckons he has no problems with them fogging up.
When you are driving your car, you are not stuck IN traffic - you ARE the traffic!!!

ValleyForge

Postby ValleyForge » Thu Sep 27, 2018 12:27 pm

I just use my Rudy Projects. They are almost as good an investment as my Ay-Ups. 7 years old and I've replaced the wings once. Original photochromic lenses which make sunlight-shade trails a pleasure.

Even my kids refuse to wear safety glasses - so my son wears some Rudys I bought him for cricket.
Ha ha ha! Cookies on dowels.

jaseyjase

Postby jaseyjase » Thu Sep 27, 2018 4:03 pm

Ive seen guys either hang the goggles around their necks when pedalling up, or putting the goggles on top of the helmet.

I like the idea of goggles,even with a normal half face helmet. comfort, view, protection.

I feel like im not fast enough to warrant goggles though.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:32 pm

If you need a fullface helmet, I'd be investing some decent time and money in formal skills training from an accredited trainer. It's easier to learn good habits than unlearn bad ones. The savings on medical expenses will put you well in front. Probably some gym training for upper body and core would be worth it as well.

Good luck! ;)

Mububban

Postby Mububban » Thu Sep 27, 2018 10:58 pm

Lessons are definitely on the to-do list!