Advice for a Novice

kljubic

Advice for a Novice

Postby kljubic » Sat Jul 07, 2012 8:29 am

Hi
Hoping i can get a bit of advice here.
Some background - 34 F Started riding more for fitness.
I have been riding my 8-10 yo GT AGGRESSOR Mountain Bike - had been sitting in the shed for quite a few years - only been the last year or so i have dragged it out done mainy 6-7ks round the block..Lately though since begining of May i have been riding to and from work 25ks each way once a week and a a couple other 20-25k rides every couple weeks. Really enjoying it.

I am tossing up between buying road tyres for my Mountain bike or purchasing a new/second hand Hybrid? Any Advice? Tyres i have enquired about are Armadillo's - meant to be bullet proof priced around $60 each..i just figured if i was going to spend $120 on tyres i might as well spend extra and get a new bike?? Budget for a new bike though is only around the $500 mark...can you get a decent hybrid or flat bar road bike for that price?

I am also thinking of participating in my first charity ride (40km)- i am not sure of proticole..can i just register and turn up or should i be riding that distance b4 i enter. I do not think it would be to demanding..the 25ks to work is fine.. and the ride home s fine also..i will just buy some actual cycling pants..again any recomendations?
Also there seems to be a lot of links to Bicycle Queensland implying i should have insurance...Is this recomended/necessary?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated

Ozkaban

Re: Advice for a Novice

Postby Ozkaban » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:27 pm

I think you would enjoy the hybrid for a 25k ride.i bought a trek 7100 off ebay this time last year for about $100 that did really well. It's lighter and will roll better. Road tyres for the mtb would make a difference, though not as much.

Just be warned it's a slippery slope. Before long you'll want a roadie, then a full carbon one, then..... :twisted:

As for a 40k charity ride, if you can happily cope with 25k and it's not a lot hillier, you'll be fine. Just don't get excited and hammer yourself in the first 10k! If it is hilly, just get out and have a crack on a weekend to see how you go.

Cheers,
Dave

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Ozkaban

Postby Ozkaban » Sat Jul 07, 2012 12:30 pm

Just saw your comments re cycling pants. Recommended, but not essential. I'd wear them for 25k.

Insurance is only worth it if something goes wrong... I'd definitely recommend it...

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:03 pm

Knicks and a seat the appropriate width for your sit bones make a huge difference to comfort.

I expect to be on the prowl soon for a flatbar for my daughter, who knocked me off my chair a couple of days ago by announcing she wants to ride to uni. :shock:

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:43 pm

Welcome to the forums and to cycling.

I started out on a mountain bike with slick tyres and then moved onto a roadie.

I'd suggest putting the slicks on the bike and then save up a bit more to increase your budget to get a better bike....I'd suggest going for a roadie but that's me, I've loved riding my roadie, once I was used to the gears and the skinny tyres....and clip less pedals!

I saw the event that you are considering on the SEQ event thread, IMO, if you are already doing a 25 k commute then you'd be fine with the 40 k's.

:D
Lisa

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:46 pm

And I'd go for the cycling shorts too.....a good pair of Knicks and the right saddle make all the difference if you're starting to increase your k's.....and go the next step and ditch the underwear when wearing Knicks, that's how they're designed to be worn :wink:
Lisa

kljubic

Postby kljubic » Sat Jul 07, 2012 1:54 pm

Ozkaban wrote:Just saw your comments re cycling pants. Recommended, but not essential. I'd wear them for 25k.

Insurance is only worth it if something goes wrong... I'd definitely recommend it...

I currently do not have cycling pants i have just been wearing some Big W Slazanger compression leggings..Im fine on the 25ks to work but coming home around the last 5-10ks i get a bit tender in the seat area..however i did notice on my last ride that i was not as sore...must be toughening up a bit. ... I just figured 40ks in one go better be safe then sore..
Thanks for your advice. I will definately look into the insurance a bit more.

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Jul 07, 2012 5:40 pm

kljubic wrote:I currently do not have cycling pants i have just been wearing some Big W Slazanger compression leggings..Im fine on the 25ks to work but coming home around the last 5-10ks i get a bit tender in the seat area..however i did notice on my last ride that i was not as sore...must be toughening up a bit. ... I just figured 40ks in one go better be safe then sore..
Thanks for your advice. I will definately look into the insurance a bit more.
Depends on where you're gettign sore. If it's your sit bones, that's OK, yes they will toughen up. Your lady bits though should not be getting pressure on them.

Interesting article on female specific bike comfort issues: http://www.stevehoggbikefitting.com/art ... ve-issues/

kljubic

Postby kljubic » Mon Jul 30, 2012 4:13 pm

Thanks for all your advise guys.

I ended up getting a new Flat bar foad bike Merida Speeder t2 - i love it - i did the Logan City Charity Bike ride yesterday - 41km in 1hr 50min and am looking forward to a few more longer rides. I am going to enter the Brisbane to Gold Coast 100km and am going to start building up my distances between now and then...i know it will be hard but hey thats the challange.

I also purchased some knicks - they were very comfy also (i was quite surprised).

Thank you for all your advice.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:21 pm

Good for you, keep getting out there and extending the distance and you'll get the hundred done. The Gold Coast ride is great and once you are past Dreamworld its a flat course...just pace yourself and you'll get there and there's heaps of encouragement from the volunteers who are spread out along the length of the course.
Lisa

kljubic

Postby kljubic » Mon Jul 30, 2012 8:41 pm

Thanks for the encouragement marinmomma - I figure if my hubby can get out of bed and drive me to the start line at that time of morning - i have to finish the race or i would never hear the end of it. lol Honestly having my 9yo give me a hug and tell me he is proud of me for doing the 40km was awesome and encouagement enough to push myself further.

Thanks