2012 Dolce Elite vs Cannondale Synapse 5 105 alloy.

hayes

2012 Dolce Elite vs Cannondale Synapse 5 105 alloy.

Postby hayes » Sat Dec 22, 2012 8:31 pm

Hi girls/guys
I'm trying to decide between the two bikes, I've tried the Cannondale and like it.. I can't try the Specialized because they don't have it in my size. I'm hesitant about buying the Specialized because I'm pretty much locked in and if it doesnt feel 'right' I can't back out as I need to order it for them to get it in they're not going to get an XS in just for me to try.
The Specialized guy has been super helpful etc and I know I will get the right fitting as they offer a 2 hour session. It's just the feel of the bike I'm worried about.
I like the Cannondale but the seat isn't as comfortable as a Dolce (I tried a compact in a size S but it was too big)
Basically I'm super confused and any input would be greatly appreciated, both are similar prices, just wondering if I will be more comfortable on the Specialized due to the Zerts etc or should I go for the Cannondale because it has 105s and just change the seat.

Also since I'm on a roll, would either of these bikes be okay for competing? I'm interested in doing a few races during the year if I can (for fun, but I still would like to be on an even playing field with the other newbies).
Thanks!!!! :)

Max

Re: 2012 Dolce Elite vs Cannondale Synapse 5 105 alloy.

Postby Max » Thu Jan 10, 2013 2:52 pm

I have a 2009 Cannondale Synapse 4 (carbon) and a 2011 Dolce Elite (alloy). Hopefully the geometry of the Synapse 4 is close enough to that of the Synapse 5 that my comments are still relevant.

In terms of geometry and fit, TBH there's not much difference between them. Properly set up, they both feel really good. I can't say that the Zerts make any difference to the Dolce's comfort level as compared to the Cannondale. Both bikes feel really good to ride.

I ride the Cannondale for fun, and the Dolce for commuting. I've installed a rear rack on the Dolce, as well as some lightweight mudguards. The Dolce does feel a little sluggish compared to the Cannondale, but let's face it - any bike carrying an extra 20Kg on the back is going to feel sluggish compared to a carbon roadie. My only big complaint is that the Dolce's wheels do seem to have a much higher rolling resistance compared to the Cannondale's sportier wheels. Again, this is to be expected.

So I guess my answer is - aside from the wheels, my view is there's not much difference between them. If your fit on one is good, it will likely be OK on the other one.

As to saddle choice, I actually like the saddle that came with my Cannondale, and got the LBS to install the same saddle on the Dolce. They looked at me like I was mad :lol:

I know it's been some time since you actually posted the question, so I'm wondering if you ended up making a decision either way?

Max
One of the best things about bicycle commuting is that it can mitigate the displeasure of having to go to work. - BikeSnobNYC
Cycling is sometimes like bobbing for apples in a bucket full of dicks. - SydGuy

hayes

Postby hayes » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:02 pm

Max wrote:I have a 2009 Cannondale Synapse 4 (carbon) and a 2011 Dolce Elite (alloy). Hopefully the geometry of the Synapse 4 is close enough to that of the Synapse 5 that my comments are still relevant.

In terms of geometry and fit, TBH there's not much difference between them. Properly set up, they both feel really good. I can't say that the Zerts make any difference to the Dolce's comfort level as compared to the Cannondale. Both bikes feel really good to ride.

I ride the Cannondale for fun, and the Dolce for commuting. I've installed a rear rack on the Dolce, as well as some lightweight mudguards. The Dolce does feel a little sluggish compared to the Cannondale, but let's face it - any bike carrying an extra 20Kg on the back is going to feel sluggish compared to a carbon roadie. My only big complaint is that the Dolce's wheels do seem to have a much higher rolling resistance compared to the Cannondale's sportier wheels. Again, this is to be expected.

So I guess my answer is - aside from the wheels, my view is there's not much difference between them. If your fit on one is good, it will likely be OK on the other one.

As to saddle choice, I actually like the saddle that came with my Cannondale, and got the LBS to install the same saddle on the Dolce. They looked at me like I was mad :lol:

I know it's been some time since you actually posted the question, so I'm wondering if you ended up making a decision either way?

Max

Hey thanks for the reply, I was going to get the Cannondale as I found Tiagra components on the Dolce to be too big for my hands (the owner of the store said I was mad but there is a definitive difference, for me, between Tiagra & 105). Turns out the Cannondale had sold and I ended up buying a 2012 Dolce Comp Apex which I just got today, really excited to start riding it :) Thanks for your reply.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Fri Feb 01, 2013 10:15 pm

I have the Dolce with Apex, I love it so comfortable and hope that you enjoy riding yours.
Lisa