keeping hair clean?

miss_emma_jade

keeping hair clean?

Postby miss_emma_jade » Fri Jan 02, 2015 10:47 pm

sorry if this has been posted before, I did have a little bit of a search.

ive just started regular cycling to work. the first week has shown me im really out of shape, but its getting better now. however, I work in retail, and need to keep my just below shoulder length hair clean and presentable. I tend to push myself a bit and I live on the gold coast, so I end up with stinky hair every couple days. Ive just washed it again.

so my question, does anyone have any tips (besides getting butch hair, lol ) to keep my hair clean and nice for a couple more days before it needs washing?

thanks in advance girls (and guys)

Emma

17sjs

Re: keeping hair clean?

Postby 17sjs » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:53 am

http://thehairpin.com/2014/01/three-yea ... ut-shampoo" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

But then, I'm a guy with short hair so don't know how well this works in practice...

Venus62

Postby Venus62 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 7:17 pm

I wash my hair every time I exercise, no matter if riding, gym or walking. Just can't avoid it if you sweat...

isabella24

Postby isabella24 » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:22 pm

I wash my hair each night. I then ride to work in the morning and have a quick shower to freshen up without wetting my hair, but the hair stays presentable until the evening when I wash it again. Having said that, I do work in an industry (mechanical engineer in manufacturing) were I don't need to look perfect!
80s Ken Evans / 2011 Trek Madone / 2013 Vivente World Randonneur / 2015 Lynskey Helix

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Sat Jan 03, 2015 8:34 pm

I've got short hair, an exec job and I don't think I look butch. I wash with shampoo etc every couple of days but also have a shower when I get to work. I just rinse my hair then and towel dry. I've got a low maintenance hair cut - as long as I get it cut every 6 weeks. I discussed w my hairdresser the need for lazy hair keeping :-)

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Jan 05, 2015 11:38 am

I've got hair down past my shoulders and have never noticed it being stinky. (unless my friends have just never told me!). :P I wash mine about 3 times a week - ie Monday/wed/Friday and if I go out on the weekends etc. But i'm not a girly girl and just comb it back into a pony tail or a plait all the time.

In my former job I didn't have shower facilities but just freshened up with baby wipes and BO basher before going in. I never felt unpresentable.

newie

Postby newie » Mon Jan 05, 2015 1:06 pm

I think it is unavoidable that if you are doing any kind of exercise that gets you sweating then you will need to wash your hair a bit more often. (and if you aren't sweating, is it really worth it :)). I only notice my hair getting a bit stinky when it is really overdue for a wash, which isn't on days when I am going to work anyway. Making sure keep your helmet nice and clean too can help, wash the padding/straps etc regularly. I have shoulder length hair and on days where I feel it might look a bit grubby and unpresentable, it is time to bring out the pretty barrette - I keep one in the office drawer.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:07 am

I wear a bandanna under my helmets (both bike and horse-riding) and it seems to help stop the sweat from pooling in the hair and making it look ick. That being said I wash my hair every morning (except for on weekends).

Are the dry shampoo products of any use to you? Surely there's got to be a product out there to remove the greasy/sweaty look without the need for a shower.

cp123

Postby cp123 » Tue Jan 06, 2015 12:04 pm

a hat? lol :lol:

HappyHumber

Postby HappyHumber » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:08 pm

cp123 wrote:a hat? lol :lol:
Sounds like a bloke's response... and I say that as a bloke
--
Hit me up via the BNA dm; I'll get an alert. If y'know, you know.

Parker

Postby Parker » Wed Jan 28, 2015 1:47 pm

Butch hair? Are you kidding me. I'm an office manager and my hair is short, it's really not that hard to keep your hair clean. Wash it.

marinmomma

Postby marinmomma » Mon Feb 09, 2015 12:13 pm

No tips except that I wash my hair after every ride, summer/winter, commuting or training ride even when I had short hair, even more so now that I've grown it a bit longer.

Living in SEQ, I don't think that there's any other option

hth
Lisa

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Mon Feb 09, 2015 1:38 pm

I suppose the easiest and most obvious is to not wear the helmet.

Oops, wait a minute. You have to ... :shock:

If you are one to adhere to the strict letter of the law you may stil check whether the whole route requires you to don the lid. In WA Mandatory Helmet (MHL) legislation only applies to "road" where road covers
highway, road or street open to, or used by, the public and includes every carriageway, footway, reservation, median strip and traffic island thereon
Assuming that footways are in the context of road reserves and not every walkway in the bush, then perhaps paths in parklands not running near and parallel to a road for example may not come under the ambit of your own states MHL. Check your states relevant codes and regs. Otherwise do as I do and shave the hair off. :mrgreen:
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

cp123

Postby cp123 » Mon Feb 09, 2015 5:35 pm

become sikh?

yugyug

keeping hair clean?

Postby yugyug » Tue Feb 10, 2015 12:46 am

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I suppose the easiest and most obvious is to not wear the helmet.

If you are one to adhere to the strict letter of the law you may stil check whether the whole route requires you to don the lid. In WA Mandatory Helmet (MHL) legislation only applies to "road" where road covers
highway, road or street open to, or used by, the public and includes every carriageway, footway, reservation, median strip and traffic island thereon
Assuming that footways are in the context of road reserves and not every walkway in the bush, then perhaps paths in parklands not running near and parallel to a road for example may not come under the ambit of your own states MHL. Check your states relevant codes and regs. Otherwise do as I do and shave the hair off. :mrgreen:
Interesting post. Colin do you know if the MHL in WA been challenged in that way?

IF the OP's problem is a direct consequence of being required to wear a helmet, and if she would feel comfortable nor wearing one if she could do so legally, I would suggest she writes to her premier and the state roads minister querying the efficacy of the MHL. There are form letters on Freestyle Cyclists that you could modify to your particular circumstance indicating A. Though the reason may not be as compelling as other arguments against MHL, it still affects your ability to do your job. B. your cycling is not of the type requiring a helmet (if that's true, I assume it probably is) and C. as head injuries are far more likely for car passengers than cyclists, why aren't car passengers required to wear helmets?

Sorry this advice doesn't pertain directly to washing and shampoo, but note that Queensland had an expert committee in 2013 recommend relaxing the MHL, a recommendation subsequently blocked by the roads minister, so it's a serious course of action, I'm not being facetious.

defy1

Postby defy1 » Sun Mar 01, 2015 12:33 pm

cp123 wrote:become sikh?
fully

shave your head

Eleri

Postby Eleri » Tue Mar 03, 2015 9:14 pm

cp123 wrote:become sikh?
Just so you know - the OP is a woman, posting in Women's Cycling. Only male Sikhs wear turbans.

UmaT

Postby UmaT » Sat Aug 29, 2015 4:15 pm

Dry shampoo + a hair straightener afterwards. Just invest in quality dry shampoo, like Tony and Guy or so

trailgumby

Postby trailgumby » Sat Aug 29, 2015 8:53 pm

Mine gets rinsed after every morning ride and washed of an evening. Gets stinky otherwise, or the scalp just feels ick. I suffer from poor oil production so using soaps and detergents too often causes skin irritation, but so does leaving sweat on skin.

I'm a 50's something of the male persuasion, with shortish hair. With longer hair I think washing post-ride becomes unavoidable. A low-maintenance hair style helps a lot.

softy

Postby softy » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:03 pm

Hmmm,

Interesting comment by the OP.

I have mentioned this on the MHL (mandatory helmet law) thread, many people are fussy about there hair and helmet hair is not a good look at the destination. I am lucky my company has facilties where I can shower and make myself presentable, but this is not always the case.

In this specific case helmet hair or messy hair/smelly hair can be seen as not presenting yourself in appropiate dress for work. In extreme case staff maybe sent home to fix it. Would it be better if a helmet did not need to be worn?

I will leave the answer to the individual readers.

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Wed Sep 02, 2015 12:29 pm

yugyug wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:I suppose the easiest and most obvious is to not wear the helmet.

Interesting post. Colin do you know if the MHL in WA been challenged in that way?

IF the OP's problem is a direct consequence of being required to wear a helmet, and if she would feel comfortable nor wearing one if she could do so legally, I would suggest she writes to her premier and the state roads minister querying the efficacy of the MHL. There are form letters on Freestyle Cyclists that you could modify to your particular circumstance indicating A. Though the reason may not be as compelling as other arguments against MHL, it still affects your ability to do your job. B. your cycling is not of the type requiring a helmet (if that's true, I assume it probably is) and C. as head injuries are far more likely for car passengers than cyclists, why aren't car passengers required to wear helmets?

Sorry this advice doesn't pertain directly to washing and shampoo, but note that Queensland had an expert committee in 2013 recommend relaxing the MHL, a recommendation subsequently blocked by the roads minister, so it's a serious course of action, I'm not being facetious.

I reckon you could make the subject of going to the dunny into an anti-MHL rant. Fair dinkum! There is already a thread for that elsewhere.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:08 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote: I reckon you could make the subject of going to the dunny into an anti-MHL rant. Fair dinkum! There is already a thread for that elsewhere.
Comment was inline with the context of the thread. Try harder. Maybe you can find some comments older than 7 months next time.

softy

Postby softy » Wed Sep 02, 2015 8:12 pm

yugyug wrote:
gorilla monsoon wrote: I reckon you could make the subject of going to the dunny into an anti-MHL rant. Fair dinkum! There is already a thread for that elsewhere.
Comment was inline with the context of the thread. Try harder. Maybe you can find some comments older than 7 months next time.
I have to agree;
If you think the helmet wearing is not valid to this thread please make a valid arguement, referring to the "dunny" doesn't hold much water..... pun intended! ;)

gorilla monsoon

Postby gorilla monsoon » Thu Sep 03, 2015 12:24 pm

The valid argument is that there is already a MHL thread on these forums and constant preaching about it at every opportunity does nothing to change the issue.
As for keeping hair clean? Keep the inside of your helmet clean, wear a bandanna and carry some dry shampoo in your kit. Not difficult at all.
Not my circus, not my monkeys

softy

Postby softy » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:18 pm

gorilla monsoon wrote:The valid argument is that there is already a MHL thread on these forums and constant preaching about it at every opportunity does nothing to change the issue.
As for keeping hair clean? Keep the inside of your helmet clean, wear a bandanna and carry some dry shampoo in your kit. Not difficult at all.
You are entitled to your opinion, but I in the nicest way have to disagree. A helmet goes on your head and has a huge impact on how it looks when you take it off at the end of the ride. My hair when I arrive at work is not in a presentable state, it has air vent lines, is very sweaty and is in a state to attract laughter, if I did nothing with it , I wouldn't be surprised if I was told to go home, if I did not shower first, wash it, dry it and make it presentable.

As this thread is about hair being not clean or presentable at the end of a ride, the helmet I feel it is a valid point as in many european countries they do ride to work and their hair is uneffected by sweat or compression.

So I do believe it is valid.