Bafang BBS01 - Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT Recumbent

Aushiker

Re: Bafang BBS01 - Bacchetta Giro 20 ATT Recumbent

Postby Aushiker » Wed Jun 18, 2014 2:51 pm

zebee wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Found a photo of a battery mounted behind a Recurve seat (?) ... much better idea

Andrew
Very upright seat.... How viable it is, is going to be very 'bent dependent.
IIRC that is a Recurve seat, a Bacchetta offering on their stick bikes ... I am a fan of the more upright riding position so will likely get one of these seats.

Andrew

zebee

Postby zebee » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:31 pm

Aushiker wrote:
zebee wrote:
Aushiker wrote:Found a photo of a battery mounted behind a Recurve seat (?) ... much better idea

Andrew
Very upright seat.... How viable it is, is going to be very 'bent dependent.
IIRC that is a Recurve seat, a Bacchetta offering on their stick bikes ... I am a fan of the more upright riding position so will likely get one of these seats.

Andrew
Yes my bacchetta is a Giro with recurve.

But that recurve is bolt upright, mine is much more laid back. The top of my seat is much closer to being over the top of the axle than the seat in that photo is.

to fit on my seat the battery would have to be no wider than the distance between the rack and the side of the seat.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jun 19, 2014 12:20 am

zebee wrote:Yes my bacchetta is a Giro with recurve.
Sounds like you need a Euromesh seat and I need a Recurve ... :)

Andrew

zebee

Postby zebee » Sat Jun 21, 2014 7:36 am

Aushiker wrote:
zebee wrote:Yes my bacchetta is a Giro with recurve.
Sounds like you need a Euromesh seat and I need a Recurve ... :)

Andrew
Alas I left WA 30 years ago....

I admit I'd like to try a euromesh if only because the recurve is a little large for me. But unless one of us is up for some fairly major cycle touring it ain't gunna happen!

How long have you had your 'bent? I was bolt upright to start but as time has gone on I've dropped down....

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Jul 21, 2014 11:13 pm

At long last the conversion is complete. I really have nothing more to do to the bike other than building a programming cable to allow me to program the Bafang BBS01 and to maybe add a watt meter. I haven't been able to ride it much due to injuries, holidays and now illness :roll: but what riding I have done does suggest some tweaking of the motor would be worth if. Overall I am happy with the conversion and the ride experience. I have fully documented the build on my blog here for those interested.

Andrew

geebee

Postby geebee » Tue Jul 22, 2014 9:32 am

Looks very neat and tidy, unless you know what to look for very few would realised it's assisted.
The riding situation must be frustrating health wise though, hope you get well soon.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Tue Jul 22, 2014 11:27 am

geebee wrote:Looks very neat and tidy, unless you know what to look for very few would realised it's assisted.
The riding situation must be frustrating health wise though, hope you get well soon.
Thanks. It seems I have bronchitis now and of course I did a short ride on Saturday and made things worse :( Now facing probably another week before this clears up :(

I really need to get some riding in on it to get a better feel for how it rides and then what are the best programming changes to make.

Andrew

zebee

Postby zebee » Thu Jul 24, 2014 12:13 pm

My Ba Yueh rack broke the other day and I ended up with a Tubus one. I think it's about the same height above the wheel as the one in your pics but I can measure if you like.

Advantages: well known to be very strong.
Disadvantages: costs the earth!

Zebee

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Thu Jul 24, 2014 3:43 pm

zebee wrote:My Ba Yueh rack broke the other day and I ended up with a Tubus one. I think it's about the same height above the wheel as the one in your pics but I can measure if you like.
Which model do you have? I have one on my Surly Long Haul Trucker (well two actually) and I am sure they I checked the measurements and thought they where a touch to high or it might have been the lack of a plate that put me off them.

Andrew

Arakasy

Postby Arakasy » Thu Jul 31, 2014 12:23 am

Hi.
Ever have any issues getting the display to actually turn on
( will turn on when battery is plugged into charger) also charger and the display both say full charge when connected.
I put a post in the shed... Then I saw you have the same screen... Prob the same motor also :)
Don't Panic
And I don't know
Ride casual... Not to casual
They might snap out it's comfortable !!

zebee

Postby zebee » Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:32 am

Aushiker wrote:
zebee wrote:My Ba Yueh rack broke the other day and I ended up with a Tubus one. I think it's about the same height above the wheel as the one in your pics but I can measure if you like.
Which model do you have? I have one on my Surly Long Haul Trucker (well two actually) and I am sure they I checked the measurements and thought they where a touch to high or it might have been the lack of a plate that put me off them.

Andrew
No idea. I rolled into Cheeky Monkey to discuss the Alfine conversion project and said "by the way" and they hauled one off the shelf and put it on.

I'll ask them what model it is. "white" is all I can tell you!

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:23 pm

I had previously what I thought was a fault with my throttle on my BBS01 and testing [checking voltage] suggested by Paul at EM3EV seemed to confirm that the throttle was indeed faulty. Well I have been riding the bike for the past week or so assuming all was good bar the faulty throttle and that simply I have seriously lost my fitness following my crash back in February etc.

Well about 1/2 way into my ride tonight, I was about to make a turn on to a shared path and pushed on the pedal and the bike shot forward! Scared the be-jesus out of me and I nearly took out a bollard. It turns out I had been riding the bike and probably since the install or at least for the last five or six rides without e-assist. As I had power to the display and my lights and the motor is so quiet I had just assumed the issue was my fitness. As I am very new to riding with e-assist I really had no idea as to what it would be like or what to expect. Initially I had throttle when I installed the motor but I don't recall the feeling the pedal assist is giving me now but then my first few rides where with the assist set at 4 or 5 and not the 9 that I had it at today so maybe that is why it feels so different.

Anyway it seems I have been riding pretty much with minimal or no assist for awhile but I have no idea why it suddenly started working tonight. I will go for a ride in the morning so it will be interesting to see how it goes then and if the assist is still there.

In the meantime any ideas on what might be happening?

Thanks
Andrew

geebee

Postby geebee » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:35 pm

Other than the normal suspects, namely loose connections, it would be worth checking the PAS disk with the magnets is close enough to the sensor and not spinning loosely, thats about all I can suggest.
Good luck.

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:44 pm

geebee wrote:Other than the normal suspects, namely loose connections, it would be worth checking the PAS disk with the magnets is close enough to the sensor and not spinning loosely, thats about all I can suggest.
Good luck.
Given that there is power to the lights and display unit (it connects directly to the controller) I am guessing power is not the issue, but I will take a closer look at the speed sensor (there is no PAS sensor with these motors).

Andrew

geebee

Postby geebee » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:47 pm

Aushiker wrote:
geebee wrote:Other than the normal suspects, namely loose connections, it would be worth checking the PAS disk with the magnets is close enough to the sensor and not spinning loosely, thats about all I can suggest.
Good luck.
Given that there is power to the lights and display unit (it connects directly to the controller) I am guessing power is not the issue, but I will take a closer look at the speed sensor (there is no PAS sensor with these motors).

Andrew
Sorry long day :), hopefully just a connection issue though :)

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Mon Aug 25, 2014 11:49 pm

geebee wrote:
Aushiker wrote:
Good luck.

Andrew
Sorry long day :), hopefully just a connection issue though :)
No worries but your suggestion of the sensor does give food for thought. Will check it carefully in the morning.

Andrew

Arakasy

Postby Arakasy » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:34 am

Check the connections for the brake leaver... Dad had a crash and his pas wouldn't work, I wiggled the connections back into place and it's working again. (It would actually work for a bit... Then stop working when it felt like it)

Issue was the same... Power to display (red light on sensor was on) but the pas wasn't kicking in.

Turns out the brake sensor was activating and cutting power to the motor.

(Where cable for brake sensors goes into the leaver... Wiggle wiggle !! POTATO SALAD !!!!! :mrgreen:
Don't Panic
And I don't know

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Fri Aug 29, 2014 11:17 am

Arakasy wrote:Check the connections for the brake leaver... Dad had a crash and his pas wouldn't work, I wiggled the connections back into place and it's working again. (It would actually work for a bit... Then stop working when it felt like it)
I don't have sensors on the brake levers, no e-bike brake levers on this bike. I use a Hidden Wire Sensor instead and it would have to be on all the time to be causing the problem over quite a few rides, but I will keep an eye on it now that you have mentioned it.

On the good side it is all back working now, by itself, well so far anyway.

Andrew

Arakasy

Postby Arakasy » Fri Nov 07, 2014 9:19 am

Hi buddy !!

Heh was wondering how your motor is going... Found your posts on the endless sphere forum. Noticed nothing really solid as a cause was mentioned.

Ohh and I finally noticed you have the 300 w motor... Do the cops give you hassles? I get 45.4 kph on my 250 w... You must fly :)
Don't Panic
And I don't know

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sat Nov 08, 2014 3:01 pm

Arakasy wrote:Hi buddy !!

Heh was wondering how your motor is going... Found your posts on the endless sphere forum. Noticed nothing really solid as a cause was mentioned.
Going good now ... I now believe the brake switch was the issue.

Andrew

Arakasy

Postby Arakasy » Sun Nov 09, 2014 11:33 am

Great stuff !! Good to hear:)
Don't Panic
And I don't know