broken spokes

softy

broken spokes

Postby softy » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:49 pm

Broken spokes on hub motors, solutions?

mick243

Re: broken spokes

Postby mick243 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 11:27 am

check your spoke tensions, make sure power transfer from the motor is smooth.

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:17 pm

Where did it break, bend, nipple, somewhere in between?

softy

Postby softy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 10:25 pm

At the nipple,

I have read that, going to a smaller diameter spoke 14 gauge and using sapim polyax nipples cures it. This is apparently a common problem

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:00 am

The flange diameter is much greater than a conventional hub. Polyax nipples will help. If it is currently laced 3x, going to a 2x pattern will also help

softy

Postby softy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:20 pm

Cheers guys

softy

Postby softy » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:36 pm

I am still breaking spokes were the spoke enters the nipple. It is current one cross only pattern, inside outside on the same flange.

Will filing the rim hole at an angle to match the nipple help, I saw another pattern which looked like a 2 cross. Any info on this?

Cheers.

RonK

broken spokes

Postby RonK » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:50 pm

This is a known problem with Rohloff hubs, which have a similarly wide flange.
The Rigida Andra rim (actually an ebike rim) I have spoked to my Rohloff hub has had the holes drilled slightly larger and at the required angle to relieve the stress at the nipple.
The wheel is laced two-cross with Sapim double-butted spokes and polyax nipples.
Probably wise to take the spokes out one at time to drill so you can be sure to get the angle right.
Cycle touring blog and tour journals: whispering wheels...

softy

Postby softy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 8:43 am

RonK wrote:This is a known problem with Rohloff hubs, which have a similarly wide flange.
The Rigida Andra rim (actually an ebike rim) I have spoked to my Rohloff hub has had the holes drilled slightly larger and at the required angle to relieve the stress at the nipple.
The wheel is laced two-cross with Sapim double-butted spokes and polyax nipples.
Probably wise to take the spokes out one at time to drill so you can be sure to get the angle right.
Cheers,

I am running a 36 hole cyclocross major tom velocity rim and the nipples are coming straight out. So this could be the problem. I can see the bend as the spoke goes into the nipple. I do think 2 cross would be to much, although the original rim Ryde had two cross and holes drilled at an angle for the nipples.

Will try your suggestion on the weekend.
Thanks

softy

Postby softy » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:49 pm

Thanks Ronk,

Done the deed, took 4 spokes out each at a time to drill the holes. Then replaced with new spokes then moved onto the next four. Took me about 4 hours but took my time doing it. I also fitted the spokes on one side of the flange heads facing outwards and on the other flange, heads facing inwards to dish the wheel to the gear cluster.

Then the truing;
Did the roundness first using a steel ruler held in place by a elastic band. Then did the left to right truing.
Checked even tension by plucking the spoke, giving the same pitch, agjusted accordingly. Then check the roundness and trueness centred in the frame again.

Looks good and the nipples are all seating at a angle close to the spoke. Now the test will come when I ride. See if spokes still break.

softy

Postby softy » Sat Jul 11, 2015 3:59 pm

Hey guys,
How do you add a picture?

find_bruce

Postby find_bruce » Sat Jul 11, 2015 6:00 pm

The current guide is here. It is not the not the cleanest and clearest guide, but it will do until Clydesdale Scott writes a new one :D

softy

Postby softy » Sun Jul 12, 2015 12:50 am

find_bruce wrote:The current guide is here. It is not the not the cleanest and clearest guide, but it will do until Clydesdale Scott writes a new one :D
Well that is just dandy, you have to use a third party application to post on this site. Why can't they just have an attach window like many other sites with a limited size and space. Makes it easy. I don't want to sign up for another application just for the sole purpose to post a picture here.

I was going to post a pic of my wheel and spokes, but I don't think it is that much of a biggie.

By the way, find bruce, thank anyway for the link. :)

:roll: