ATB cyclists fined $14K in 2 hours for traffic violations

roller

Re: ATB cyclists fined $14K in 2 hours for traffic violation

Postby roller » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:03 pm

Forty riders were fined in the Geelong CBD in the span of two hours on Sunday.
who knew geelong had a CBD?
inflammatory statement or idea

human909

Postby human909 » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:07 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:40 offenders pinged over a short period? I'd say that is EXACTLY the time and place to use their time.
What do you think was achieved here? What public good was done? This is as petty as police going to a high pedestrian area and ticketing pedestrians who walk when there is clear traffic. It is pathetic.

You know back in the day before the motor car. The job of police was about policing CRIME. Ensuring safety and order of transport was very minor or not a role at all of the police authorities. Motor vehicles have been so damaging (also beneficial) to our urban landscape that a significant amount of time now is required simply to control the danger of these deadly vehicles. Applying the same enthusiasm to fining the minnows of the transport system, cyclists and pedestrians shows that the police no longer understand what they are really here for.

rkelsen

Postby rkelsen » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:07 pm

il padrone wrote:
Oxford wrote:I suppose it depends on your perspective. Its not petty to people that are dispassionate about cycling, unlike the passionate cycling people here. I have no idea what perspective the police are looking at it other than possibly a safety POV. Has anybody asked them? Anyone bothered to engage in a dialog? I know the answer is no, so that says it all.
You've seen a blitz on dogs off-lead ??

Wonders never cease!
They need to do this in Fawkner Park. They'd make a killing.

DavidS

Postby DavidS » Wed Oct 22, 2014 10:14 pm

While I have no sympathy for those caught, this is somewhat galling in the context of some of the filmed incidents they don't act on. I suppose next time there are a few incidents the police are reluctant to act on, someone can throw in their face that they go after petty, and let's be honest: not very dangerous, offences committed by cyclists, and they should go after the dangerous offences committed by drivers.

DS
Allegro T1, Auren Swift :)

yugyug

Postby yugyug » Wed Oct 22, 2014 11:09 pm

human909 wrote:
ColinOldnCranky wrote:40 offenders pinged over a short period? I'd say that is EXACTLY the time and place to use their time.
What do you think was achieved here? What public good was done? This is as petty as police going to a high pedestrian area and ticketing pedestrians who walk when there is clear traffic. It is pathetic.

You know back in the day before the motor car. The job of police was about policing CRIME. Ensuring safety and order of transport was very minor or not a role at all of the police authorities. Motor vehicles have been so damaging (also beneficial) to our urban landscape that a significant amount of time now is required simply to control the danger of these deadly vehicles. Applying the same enthusiasm to fining the minnows of the transport system, cyclists and pedestrians shows that the police no longer understand what they are really here for.
+1 and nicely worded. Blitzes on peds and cyclists is the misdirected extension of motor transport control.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Oct 23, 2014 8:57 am

DavidS wrote:While I have no sympathy for those caught, this is somewhat galling in the context of some of the filmed incidents they don't act on. I suppose next time there are a few incidents the police are reluctant to act on, someone can throw in their face that they go after petty, and let's be honest: not very dangerous, offences committed by cyclists, and they should go after the dangerous offences committed by drivers.

DS
Hi DavidS,
I reckon it's to do with a quick effortless prosecution and income stream and sense of justice; the cyclist done a bad thing, got 'im, TIN. He pays, we forget it.

On the other hand, Cyclist gets shaved, brings in front and rear video, I have work to do. Lets see , the cyclist didn't get hit, they are all over the road, I have to interview the car driver, just illicit an apology real or imagined. Case takes more time, no prosecution or dollars made, bloody cyclist should just stay home.

I may sound sarcastic but this is the result of my incidents so far.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu Oct 23, 2014 9:36 am

outnabike wrote:
DavidS wrote:While I have no sympathy for those caught, this is somewhat galling in the context of some of the filmed incidents they don't act on. I suppose next time there are a few incidents the police are reluctant to act on, someone can throw in their face that they go after petty, and let's be honest: not very dangerous, offences committed by cyclists, and they should go after the dangerous offences committed by drivers.

DS
Hi DavidS,
I reckon it's to do with a quick effortless prosecution and income stream and sense of justice; the cyclist done a bad thing, got 'im, TIN. He pays, we forget it.

On the other hand, Cyclist gets shaved, brings in front and rear video, I have work to do. Lets see , the cyclist didn't get hit, they are all over the road, I have to interview the car driver, just illicit an apology real or imagined. Case takes more time, no prosecution or dollars made, bloody cyclist should just stay home.

And mine.

I'm still waiting to hear back on another incident I reported where the car ran a red light in front of me and almost hit 7 pedestrians and a car going through its green. At least with that one the police have asked whether I am willing to make a statement. Little Ol' Me on the bike wasn't the one being threatened by the car so it seems they take it more seriously because it was a red light runner who ALMOST hit some peds and a car, not a car driver who almost hits a cyclist.

outnabike

Postby outnabike » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:33 am

Summernight wrote:
outnabike wrote:

DS
Hi DavidS,

And mine.

I'm still waiting to hear back on another incident I reported where the car ran a red light in front of me and almost hit 7 pedestrians and a car going through its green. At least with that one the police have asked whether I am willing to make a statement. Little Ol' Me on the bike wasn't the one being threatened by the car so it seems they take it more seriously because it was a red light runner who ALMOST hit some peds and a car, not a car driver who almost hits a cyclist.
Yes I am just putting together another two complaints of close passing.It also shows clearly with number plates, about twenty cars over taking me with no indicators. :) I may wait for the inevitable nill outcome and then quote the terrible cycling through Geelong, and ask why they don't fine the wonderfull non indicators in my video..... :) He He He....
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 10:34 am

outnabike wrote:I reckon it's to do with a quick effortless prosecution and income stream and sense of justice; the cyclist done a bad thing, got 'im, TIN. He pays, we forget it.

As cynical as I'd like to be I doubt it is to do with income. I don't believe that police departments are driven by income streams from offenses. It all goes into the state coffers. Council parking inspectors on the other hand....

ColinOldnCranky

Postby ColinOldnCranky » Thu Oct 23, 2014 1:46 pm

yugyug wrote:
human909 wrote:

+1 and nicely worded. Blitzes on peds and cyclists is the misdirected extension of motor transport control.
I think a lot of peds who are buzzed by cyclists cutting onto and off paths much as cyclists are by cars would not think that errant cyclists are the "minnows" not to be concerned about.

Nor would those peds that step out when the green man lights up only to then have that nervous panic that comes from trying to make the right decision - move quickly forward or step back - not knowing which way the rapidly closing cyclist is gonna go in order to avoid a collision that the cyclist has bought about when running a red light

Human, you want to know what can be achieved by the action reported on? Ask a pedestrian. There are more victims than just cyclists. And there are more villains than just motorists.

Not misdirected at all yugyug. Perhaps the high visibility of forty being pinged and many hundreds of other being aware of it will make a larger number reconsider some bad habits. That's what blitzes do.
Unchain yourself-Ride a unicycle

human909

Postby human909 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:16 pm

ColinOldnCranky wrote:I think a lot of peds who are buzzed by cyclists cutting onto and off paths much as cyclists are by cars would not think that errant cyclists are the "minnows" not to be concerned about.
Buzzing pedestrians is not appropriate. But regardless cyclist are still minnows when it comes to the serious consequences. Injuries cause by cyclist to others are extremely rare. Deaths even rarer. Its not even remotely comparable to the carnage caused by motor vehicles.

If ignoring red lights by cyclists was such worrisome behaviour, why have some places made it legal?

ColinOldnCranky wrote:Human, you want to know can be achieved by the action reported on? Ask a pedestrian. There are more victims than just cyclists. And there are more villains than just motorists.
And how has this made pedestrian lives better? I doubt this behavior by the police will make any behavioral change.

I have never experienced issues from cyclists as a pedestrian. Then again where I walk people aren't on their strava runs.
ColinOldnCranky wrote:Not misdirected at all yugyug. Perhaps the high visibility of forty being pinged and many hundreds of other being aware of it will make a larger number reconsider some bad habits. That's what blitzes do.
Really? Bad habits? Many of the perpetrators probably don't consider it a bad habit. Do you really think the police blitzes fining pedestrians make pedestrians reconsider bad habits too?

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:40 pm

roller wrote:
Forty riders were fined in the Geelong CBD in the span of two hours on Sunday.
who knew geelong had a CBD?
Yes, Cyclist Bashing District.