1 metre rule

outnabike

Re: 1 metre rule

Postby outnabike » Mon Dec 08, 2014 8:55 am

il padrone wrote:Fair point, but you can get it policed by gathering the evidence and presenting the incident to the police. In fact, someone has suggested that if people have the desire (including time and money), apparently you can proceed direct to a court case via the Chamber Magistrate at the courts. I don't know anything about this - it may well be BS.

So, over to you.
Worth looking at IP,
I am in the middle of negotiations on matters similar and this is part of what I found in the archive in Vic, so if the cop has the heart it is posible. This trucky must have made it too obvious as he took the fine on the chin. Old info but no video on the site. I included it into my letter to the police as an example.

Victorian police fine a truck driver February 5, 2012
http://www.smh.com.au/executive-style/f ... 1qz1a.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Victorian police last year used footage to charge and fine a truck driver who got too close when overtaking a cyclist on Nepean Highway, Mordialloc.
Sergeant Helen Poke, of Moorabbin Highway Patrol, said the footage was ''absolutely horrendous'', as it showed the truck coming within a whisker of hitting the cyclist.
''From the video we were able to determine the truck … did swerve in and nearly collected the cyclist. He [the cyclist] forwarded the vision and came in to the police station. I viewed it and played it to the offender and he admitted full liability for his actions and he was appropriately charged,'' she said.
Sergeant Poke said that, while all users were obliged to share the road, helmet cameras were a ''great source of evidence'' and she expected more riders to use them.
Vivente World Randonneur complete with panniers

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 9:48 am

My last day out west so no more road trains

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=frWwHvw ... e=youtu.be
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

cancan64

Postby cancan64 » Fri Dec 19, 2014 12:18 pm

That was a 60km zone and i was doing close to 40km/hr....its the air wave (cant think of a better terminology) when he passed that throws you a bit, they push a lot of air those trucks and they seem to go for ever when they are that close...Most drivers out here are pretty good and give you room, some of the back roads are harder when road is the width of a single lane and I find it easier to stop and get out of there way rather than them going on the dirt and then there is crap everywhere...I wont report it, no time today and last day working out here.
“Some say he isn’t machine washable, and all his potted plants are called ‘Steve’.

elantra

Postby elantra » Fri Dec 19, 2014 4:06 pm

cancan64 wrote:My last day out west so no more road trains

Technically speaking was not a "Roadtrain", that was a "B double"
But nevertheless, it was a long vehicle and did not give you much space.
Nor did he do the customary trucky thing, a short use of the engine brake to make a bit of extra noise and let you know he's behind you. :wink:

B doubles (not as long as a Roadtrain), most would agree are much "safer" and hence are permitted east of the Great Dividing Range.

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Jan 25, 2015 9:43 am

Good news in Victoria from the Greens !!

One metre rule to be introduced to Victorian Parliament

:D :D :D
Mandatory helmet law?
"An unjustified and unethical imposition on a healthy activity."

m@

Postby m@ » Sun Jan 25, 2015 10:08 am

il padrone wrote:Good news in Victoria from the Greens !!

Excellent! Hopefully they're correct that a national law is imminent.
I've seen things you people wouldn't believe

human909

Postby human909 » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:11 pm

m@ wrote:Excellent! Hopefully they're correct that a national law is imminent.
The federal government doesn't make road rules that cover the states. However what the greens have said is a "national response is inevitable". QLD, SA and Canberra has done it. WA are looking at the law. With Victoria picking it up the pressure will be on the other states.

Regarding getting this law passed in Vic. This law was previously tabled but with little support beyond the greens. The previous liberal government did very little for bikes and they removed all state funding for bicycle infrastructure. They new labor government hasn't really revealed their attitudes to cyclists but fingers crossed.

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Mon Jan 26, 2015 10:17 pm

il padrone wrote:Good news in Victoria from the Greens !!

Great news, here's hoping it gets up :D
Dogs are the best people :wink:

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Thu Jan 29, 2015 12:19 pm

As a Truckie, watching that showed that the driver should have slowed, the road was straight and by the alignment of the B-double he knew the other B-Double (going the opposite way) was approaching.
Given that you can clearly identify the transport company - http://www.mtisacarriers.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I hope you at least sent them an email with the youtube link and some gentle words to encourage them to at least discuss it with there drivers generally. Education is the best method.
elantra wrote: Technically speaking was not a "Roadtrain", that was a "B double"
B doubles (not as long as a Roadtrain), most would agree are much "safer" and hence are permitted east of the Great Dividing Range.
Bad news Elantra - In our neck of the woods Road Trains are running all the way to the Port of Brisbane (from Toowoomba). They are under PBS permits and called A-Doubles but they are technically a road train as they're a prime mover towing a standard trailer towing a dolly, with another standard trailer behind that. They're not allowed off the Warrego Hwy or the motorways so the only time we (cyclists) will need to compete for road space is on the Warrego Hwy, but they are here.
2015 Specialized Diverge Carbon Expert
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

elantra

Postby elantra » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:38 pm

PiratePete wrote:

As a Truckie, watching that showed that the driver should have slowed, the road was straight and by the alignment of the B-double he knew the other B-Double (going the opposite way) was approaching.
Given that you can clearly identify the transport company - http://www.mtisacarriers.com.au/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; I hope you at least sent them an email with the youtube link and some gentle words to encourage them to at least discuss it with there drivers generally. Education is the best method.
elantra wrote: Technically speaking was not a "Roadtrain", that was a "B double"
Bad news Elantra - In our neck of the woods Road Trains are running all the way to the Port of Brisbane (from Toowoomba). They are under PBS permits and called A-Doubles but they are technically a road train as they're a prime mover towing a standard trailer towing a dolly, with another standard trailer behind that. They're not allowed off the Warrego Hwy or the motorways so the only time we (cyclists) will need to compete for road space is on the Warrego Hwy, but they are here.
Thanks for clarifying that.
There should be no problem with A-Doubles between Toowoomba and Port of Brisbane as it is a 4-lane road all the way.
Because there are 2 lanes each way, it should not matter how long the vehicle is, as long as it has enough power to get up the hills without stalling.
This is sort-of similar to the issue of cyclist/cyclists occupying the full inner lane of a 4 lane road,
it should not be a source of complaint by motorists (as long as it is not a high-speed road) since they have the other lane to use to get past.
Hope that analogy is not too complicated (even if it appears too complicated for some brisbane suburban drivers to understand)

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Sun Feb 01, 2015 4:50 pm

Great video by Stayin' Alive at 1.5 that clearly sets out one rationale for cyclists riding two-abreast. Throw that at anyone bleating "ride single-file"

https://www.facebook.com/#!/video.php?v ... nref=story" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Mandatory helmet law?

Thoglette

Postby Thoglette » Sun Feb 01, 2015 5:34 pm

il padrone wrote:Great video by Stayin' Alive at 1.5
Well done Wexford!
Stop handing them the stick! - Dave Moulton
"People are worthy of respect, ideas are not." Peter Ellerton, UQ

warthog1

Postby warthog1 » Sun Feb 01, 2015 11:58 pm

I am a seldom user of FB so not that many people will see it but I did share that one.
Dogs are the best people :wink:

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Thu Feb 05, 2015 2:39 pm

Put front and rear cameras on my bike only two weeks ago, yesterday I was buzzed by a Subaru Impreza in a 70 zone (1.5M rule), I hit the car's mirror with my hand when it was 1-2 inches from by handle bar which scared the driver off. Footage now with QPS, the officer said that hitting the mirror was a good self-defense action. They are investigating... :)
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

defy1

Postby defy1 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 11:29 am

This morning got buzzed by a massive truck in a 60 zone. Have it on a front camera...
Is it worth reporting? Is there a online web site or do you have to go to the station

redsonic

Postby redsonic » Sat Feb 07, 2015 1:17 pm

defy1 wrote:This morning got buzzed by a massive truck in a 60 zone. Have it on a front camera...
Is it worth reporting? Is there a online web site or do you have to go to the station
What state are you in, Defy?

defy1

Postby defy1 » Sat Feb 07, 2015 2:24 pm

vic

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sat Feb 07, 2015 4:05 pm

defy1 wrote:This morning got buzzed by a massive truck in a 60 zone. Have it on a front camera...
My expectation is that you will need to make a statement, and be prepared to get up in a court room to state that the video is true and correct. I copied the videos (front and rear cameras) to a DVD and attended my local cop shop. I think up here in sunny Qld, the video by itself is useless, the statement backed up by the evidence it a different story...
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

PiratePete

Postby PiratePete » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:11 pm

It's hard to educate the masses when the masses are ignorant. I was nearly hit this morning, learner driver, I spoke to the driver and mostly the person coaching her from the passenger seat. Both driver and instructor (not driving school, husband I think) were completely un-aware of any requirement to allow a buffer between cars and bikes.

http://youtu.be/ZS95VfA2QHQ" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Qld Transport has put quite a bit of effort in making the public aware, I'm surprised that someone who is learning to drive, who should have passed a theory exam is un-aware. So was the police officer I showed the video to, he is intending to charge both driver and the 'instructor' providing he is able to identify them... Need another camera mounted on my helmet.
2013 Giant Reign MTB.
Pirate Pete on Instagram

ldrcycles

Postby ldrcycles » Sat Feb 14, 2015 1:30 pm

Nicely handled mate, I would probably struggle to remain as calm in the same situation. Fingers crossed the police get somewhere.
"I must be rather keen on cycling"- Sir Hubert Opperman.

Road Record Association of Australia

biker jk

Postby biker jk » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:42 pm

Tasmania to introduce minimum passing distance law February 25. Can the remaining states hold out?

Aushiker

Postby Aushiker » Sun Feb 15, 2015 2:47 pm

biker jk wrote:Tasmania to introduce minimum passing distance law February 25. Can the remaining states hold out?
You haven't met Colin Barnett, Premier of WA then :)

Andrew

il padrone

Postby il padrone » Mon Feb 16, 2015 10:36 pm

Apparently there is no minimum passing distance stipulated in the proposed law. A failure to act!
Mandatory helmet law?

Mulger bill
Super Mod
Super Mod

Postby Mulger bill » Mon Feb 16, 2015 11:21 pm

il padrone wrote:Apparently there is no minimum passing distance stipulated in the proposed law. A failure to act!
That's how I read it Pete. A scam designed for smokebox benefit wrapped in "rider safety" rhetoric.
...whatever the road rules, self-preservation is the absolute priority for a cyclist when mixing it with motorised traffic.
London Boy 29/12/2011

citywomble

Postby citywomble » Tue Feb 17, 2015 12:01 am

Il Padrone wrote:
Apparently there is no minimum passing distance stipulated in the proposed law. A failure to act!
While the video did seem a little soft, it could be construed that it was not trying to specify the minimum but encourage more distance that 1.0/1.5m. What is apparent is that the quoted statement of the minister was clear with the word "must" before the distances. This would seem to imply that the legislation will provide mandatory minimums:

“In a 60km/h zone or below, there must be a 1m safe distance, and in excess of 60km/h there must be at least 1.5m between vehicle and cyclist.”

For myself, I reserve judgement until the full details are available.